Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have seen this twice on windy day. Almost freaked me out because it looked like hood will pop out.
Unless yours is significantly worse than mine in the video somewhere above, I don’t think you need to worry about it popping out.
If I can get my beater back while I’m off the next couple weeks I’m gonna mention it to the dealer and knock out a few issues all at the same time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We noticed our hood "flapping" the first week we owned the Ascent. Stopped, pulled over, checked the hood was securely latched -- which it was...and it's been safely flapping away for almost a year and a half, and 30,000+ miles, causing no adverse effects.

I realize I have an unpopular viewpoint about this, but I don't even consider it a problem...just a "yeah, it does that."

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,742 Posts
I realize I have an unpopular viewpoint about this, but I don't even consider it a problem...just a "yeah, it does that."
It's also fixable...there's a process for the dealer to follow to get adhesive where it needs to be to replace that which as failed.

·
Registered
982 Posts
It's also fixable...there's a process for the dealer to follow to get adhesive where it needs to be to replace that which as failed.
Many autos now have that problem because of the aluminum hoods which are extremely flexible. Glue adhesive is the fix as you mentioned. I say, use a few metal screws and eliminate the problem. That was a joke, please do not do that.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,742 Posts
The issue is the adhesive either failing or, perhaps, not being installed properly during manufacturing. It can certainly be said that the aluminum contributes to this because of the need to use adhesive to fasten it to the support structure because of dissimilar metals. But as noted, aluminum is used for many vehicle hoods...and has for a long time now. My previous vehicle (JGC) had one as a MY12 as did the MY11 that started that generation.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Experience the hood flutter for the first time last week when I went to check on our mountain home that has been empty for 3 months. It took a heck of a crosswind for it to show up on my Ascent.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
For those who’ve had the TSB done did your dealer do it themselves. If so, does your dealer do body work?
My dealer verified the hood shake during a test drive but referred me to their body shop down the road. Next week they’re supposed to be keeping it for a day for the fix.

·
Super Moderator
6,822 Posts
For those who’ve had the TSB done did your dealer do it themselves. If so, does your dealer do body work?
My dealer verified the hood shake during a test drive but referred me to their body shop down the road. Next week they’re supposed to be keeping it for a day for the fix.
My dealership hasn't but will be doing it as soon as the adhesive is available. It's really easy. They need to keep it for a day, because the adhesive requires 24 hours to cure.

·
Super Moderator
6,822 Posts
61 - 72 of 72 Posts