Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
^^^+1. Since hearing about this in this forum I've been keeping an eye on mine and so far it's been solid at 80+ mph and in some decent crosswinds, though not like those SkiPro3 is describing. This would suggest that the design is basically sound, but something went wrong in the individual execution.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
We should put together some statistical maths to get a rough idea of the number of Ascents affected by hoodshakegate. Build dates would be good info to include. I had a nice crosswind all the way home from Philly to Va Beach yesterday and saw some wobble. Probably wouldn’t have noticed it if I wasn’t looking for it. Build date 6/18

·
Registered
1 Posts
Subaru obviously has a problem- mine is a year old and flutters at any speed over 50mph - the Subaru dealer has no clue how to address the problem. By the way the battery had to be replaced at ~10k miles - just died without warning. I used to think Subaru’s were well engineered- not so much now!

·
Registered
691 Posts
There’s 2 things going on here.
1. By design, the giant aluminum hood has some inherent movement in it. It is what it is. This may be able to be minimized with further adjustment to the rubber adjustment spacers, but it is what you get with the weight they saved on the design. The fenders do not shield the hood in any way like a lot of cars - the hood takes all of the force, from all sides.
2. However, some 2019s (so far) of unknown build dates, have had defective separation of the adhesive between the aluminum hood skin and it’s frame. This is where we should focus some polls and info gathering. This is where Subaru has replaced hoods in some cases.

My 2020 falls into category 1.
Two of the 2019 loaner Ascents Ive had fell into category 2. There’s a big difference. 2 is a full-on flapping/rippling motion @ 65mph+ on the highway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does anyone have video of what their hood does. Inherent movement vs. full on flapping. I think all hoods move a bit, but if we could see some video of the differences it might alleviate some of the angst that people are having over this.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Does anyone have video of what their hood does
I just reviewed my dash cam from my holiday road trip.
From my driver POV I could see the hood flex vs the fender.
From my dash cam POV all it could see was the hood so it was nearly impossible to distinguish between the hood’s movement and bumps in the road. Someone might need to come up with some other setup to record it or find some very heavy wind to make it more severe so that it’s noticeable.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just to clarify; my hood has NO movement. Inherent or not. It is solid as the fenders in any driving condition. Tested again yesterday to 85mph. Nothing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Mine actually has very little movement. Less than my old '14 Forester XT. Driving up/down the front range to WY and back in 50-60 mph gusts proved that over the holidays.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
I just reviewed my dash cam from my holiday road trip.
From my driver POV I could see the hood flex vs the fender.
From my dash cam POV all it could see was the hood so it was nearly impossible to distinguish between the hood’s movement and bumps in the road. Someone might need to come up with some other setup to record it or find some very heavy wind to make it more severe so that it’s noticeable.
Same here. I may try to mount a cam outside. It's not like I don't do that enough when off-roading. I just need to find a windy day and take Ocean Parkway to drive through the cross winds.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
Subaru obviously has a problem- mine is a year old and flutters at any speed over 50mph - the Subaru dealer has no clue how to address the problem. By the way the battery had to be replaced at ~10k miles - just died without warning. I used to think Subaru’s were well engineered- not so much now!
Please call Subaru of America and ask them if they know of a resolution.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Same here. I may try to mount a cam outside. It's not like I don't do that enough when off-roading. I just need to find a windy day and take Ocean Parkway to drive through the cross winds.
That was my thought. A position that can see a front fender and across the hood on a windy day at high speed may show some movement if yours has any

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Now that the cvt thing might be in the past for the most part, this thread has picked up!
I just wanted to reiterate that I’m not very concerned with the hood wobble, but if there’s an opportunity to have it fixed I’m onboard.
I predict rear gate battery drain is in the crosshairs next, especially when the weather starts to warm up again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a question
I have noticed that at highway speeds the hood on the Ascent Limited shakes (rattles - but no noise). Not sure if this is normal or a problem. Any ideas. Am I worrying for nothing?

Thanks
TAC

I've noticed this as well; and my wife's nephew owns an Ascent and has mentioned the same condition. I've not noticed any noise when it occurs.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I had about ½” of snow/ice on the hood this morning and it was very windy as I was crossing a bridge. The hood shake is VERY noticeable. I managed to get a video where it’s actually noticeable. If anyone wants to compare what they’ve seen click this link.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have only noticed a little bit of shake when an old Kenworth or Peterbilt tractor with their big slab radiator throwing a huge bow wake passes going the other way at high closing speeds. i.e. 2 lane roadway. Nothing noticeable at interstate speeds or 'slightly' above.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have seen this also - it almost looks like you've "popped" the hood and are driving around with the wind trying to lift up the hood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe that Subaru has a Technical Service Bulletin on this hood shake. An earlier respondent talks about an adhesive separation that can be 're-glued' in a couple hours of shop time.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
I believe that Subaru has a Technical Service Bulletin on this hood shake. An earlier respondent talks about an adhesive separation that can be 're-glued' in a couple hours of shop time.
24 hours cure time, before the car is supposed to be driven, but, yes, a couple of hours labor.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts