Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
We’re 3,500 miles into a 4,100 mile, eight state road trip in our Limited. Traveling through Idaho, we encountered 80 mph speed limits. Once, while passing, we hit 90. The ride was always smooth and quiet. The only thing we noticed with the hood was some visible flexure when we encountered a semi going in the opposite direction. Apparently it’s turbulence and not speed that triggers the phenomenon.

This car has been a dream to drive on all kinds of roads and in all kinds of weather conditions. The combination of Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist and a very smooth, quiet ride has made seven and eight hour driving legs fatigue free. We noticed that, even at eighty mph plus, the Harman Kardon sound system is delivering amazing sound. We’re hearing notes in our favorite oldies we never noticed before.
Now that’s a road trip,glad to hear you’re happy with the Big A.I’ve gotten use to the hood bounce that I don’t even bother looking for it anymore but consciously I know it still occurs.I feel as long as Subaru hasn’t reported any issues with hoods flying open then I’m confident in the engineering for the time being.

Safe travels!

·
Registered
70 Posts
A Suggestion

The only thing we noticed with the hood was some visible flexure when we encountered a semi going in the opposite direction. Apparently it’s turbulence and not speed that triggers the phenomenon.

We noticed that, even at eighty mph plus, the Harman Kardon sound system is delivering amazing sound. We’re hearing notes in our favorite oldies we never noticed before.
Hmmmm. Methinks there is a natural combo here...

Make up a playlist:

"Shake" - Sam Cooke and/or Otis Redding

"Shake, Rattle and Roll" - Bill Haley and the Comets and/or Big Joe Turner

"Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" - Jerry Lee Lewis

Whenever you see a semi approaching, cue up the playlist!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a question
I have noticed that at highway speeds the hood on the Ascent Limited shakes (rattles - but no noise). Not sure if this is normal or a problem. Any ideas. Am I worrying for nothing?

Thanks
TAC
I noticed flutter at 75-80mph and high winds in Idaho/Oregon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The hood is unnerving in the right wind conditions it shakes so violently that you think it is going to come off at any moment. Conditions are 70 to 80 mph with crosswind or large trucks buffeting the car.
First time it happened we were passing two large trucks at 75 mph and I hit the brakes thinking the hood was coming off.
We travel between Las Vegas and St George often and the speed limit is 75 with many large trucks, talked to a Subuaru service advisor about it and he said yes I noticed it on the way to Salt Lake City then shrugged his shoulders and said thats the way it is.
Had many vehicles over 50 years of driving and have never seen a vehicle with this flimsy of an engine hood, Subaru needs to replace or come up with a fix.
The Ascent has had several issues but the hood shake has me thinking of another vehicle?
I am experiencing the same with my Ascent at Interstate speeds and when passing or meeting a Semi truck, Quite unnerving.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I believe that all the hood problems stem from the unusually large gap between the hood and the car body when closed. I’m not sure if everyone has noticed this or not. The gap is also uneven from side to side adding more instability. Other posts have said to adjust the rubber stopper in the front. The front one is supposed to adjust the height of the front of the hooded well as insulate when closing. But that adjustment doesn’t correct all of the gap or uneven spacing from side to side. When I adjusted my front posts all the way down, it corrected the passenger side but not the driver side fully. This last weekend I was installing my nameless performance strut bar and I did two things. One, I tightened the nuts that hold the hood. Two, I turned the rubber stopper on the hood itself. Now the front stopper is meant to be adjusted, it is a screw in type. The hood stopper is free floating and not meant to be adjustable. I tried to tighten it anyways by turning clockwise 10 or 15 times. When I closed my hood all of a sudden both sides were even and all the gaps were gone. Amazing, counterintuitive but it worked. By the way, if anybody has an unstable front end, swaying, wobbling, imprecise steering, check your strut mount nuts. I found that for some reason (probably rust) the nuts kept coming loose. And I checked them for tightness every 100 miles or so to make sure because of the strut bar. I eventually put thread lock on all the strut mount bolts and so far they are holding. But tightening these nuts will make the car drive like a different car. This should correct all of those issues (assuming everything is in good condition)

I don’t know how this rust forms. I’ve never had a car rust on the strut mount bolts before. Even if there is moisture, presumably the nuts holding the bolt should prevent any rust from forming. Another example of rust formation on a part that should have been treated to resist corrosion, at least for a while. But there is way too much rust formation for a car less than a year old. Anyways, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For the first time it happend to me too. Since i got my car in march, this is the first time. Today is very windy in NYC, and at about 75mph it scared the hell out of me. Not a good feeling. But on my trip this past july, i did 90mph, steady 85, and nothing happened.
Come on Subaru, i gotta be better then this.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
For the first time it happend to me too. Since i got my car in march, this is the first time. Today is very windy in NYC, and at about 75mph it scared the hell out of me. Not a good feeling. But on my trip this past july, i did 90mph, steady 85, and nothing happened.
Come on Subaru, i gotta be better then this.
It looks scary, but I am not worried. I did Ocean Parkway this morning to avoid traffic on the Southern State.

I also forgot to latch it all the way once, and drove over a hundred miles with no issue, at 80+mph (we were in Utah where the speed limit is 80 mph).

·
Registered
41 Posts
It looks scary, but I am not worried. I did Ocean Parkway this morning to avoid traffic on the Southern State.

I also forgot to latch it all the way once, and drove over a hundred miles with no issue, at 80+mph (we were in Utah where the speed limit is 80 mph).
You know it is very sad. By making car safe with all advanced technology, it seems like automakers forget to make SIMPLE safety things when they chase that fuel efficiency. And it seems that plane makers do exactly the same thing. Look at Boeing.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
You know it is very sad. By making car safe with all advanced technology, it seems like automakers forget to make SIMPLE safety things when they chase that fuel efficiency. And it seems that plane makers do exactly the same thing. Look at Boeing.
The Boeing reference is relevant in another manner, which I'd mentioned a while back.

Planes are mostly aluminum. Anyone who has flown and looked out the window has seen the wings "flap" up and down in the wind stream. And, at 40,000 feet, it's ridiculously colder (-40° to -70°F) so, the aluminum frame and shell is more brittle. Yet, wings don't snap off.

I am soooooooooo not worried about our hoods snapping, or anything else. The aluminum hood will do what aluminum does.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,743 Posts
I agree, Robert. My MY12 Grand Cherokee also had an aluminum hood. Not uncommon. And not a problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I noticed my hood also flutters some times especially when driving 70+ and cross wind hits the car. If no cross wind, it does not flutter.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
Folks, it's normal for aluminum structures like our hoods, or airplane wings, to do this.

Your hood won't rip apart. It won't fly off. It won't snap in half. ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
But if we see a gremlin out there ripping off aluminum panels, maybe we should mention it to the flight attendant :unsure:

Kidding aside, the visual of my hood corner flapping even a little just didn't sit well with me. I know the latch won't let go, and I know the corner won't fold up. But I did pull over and check it. I haven't seen it since, and it probably happens only in just the right highway crosswind. Low priority in the grand scheme of things, just unnerving is all.

F.S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Folks, it's normal for aluminum structures like our hoods, or airplane wings, to do this.

Your hood won't rip apart. It won't fly off. It won't snap in half. ;)

I would like to respectfully disagree. There is no comparison between the hood of a consumer SUV to a multi-million dollar commercial airliner other than the fact that they are both made of (a type) of aluminum, and I doubt that the Ascent is of aircraft grade aluminum, not to mention, these are completely different forces we are talking about here. Covering an engine compartment at highway speeds vs providing lift for 150-200,000 lb aircraft.

But, I digress. Ours does this too. Took it to the dealer and the confirmed the movement. They then test drove an Ascent on the lot and confirmed it had the same movement as well. The opinion of the dealer..."condition is normal." It might be normal for this vehicle, but it is not "normal" in the automotive world. This is a miss by Subaru engineers. My last two F-150's have had aluminum hoods with no shaking and my dad's new GMC also has an aluminum hood that doesn't shake. It's unnerving but apparently not a safety issue. If it had caused accidents, I think we would be seeing a recall by now.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
might be normal for this vehicle, but it is not "normal" in the automotive world. This is a miss by Subaru engineers. My last two F-150's have had aluminum hoods with no shaking and my dad's new GMC also has an aluminum hood that doesn't shake.
Truck hood on an entirely different class of vehicle without an under hood forced air induction ducting system?

And, the point I was making is that aluminum flexes without falling apart, as in planes and numerous other vehicles, including more cars than you'd think. So, I respectfully submit that you disagreed with a point I wasn't making. ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Truck hood on an entirely different class of vehicle without an under hood forced air induction ducting system?

And, the point I was making is that aluminum flexes without falling apart, as in planes and numerous other vehicles, including more cars than you'd think. So, I respectfully submit that you disagreed with a point I wasn't making. ?
But, my truck DOES have turbos (F150 EcoBoost)...however, the forced induction "plumbing" is completely different.

Ok...can we at least agree that it just seems "weird" that this is considered normal operation for the Ascent but not for any other vehicle that I know of? I mean...if it was not a strange occurrence for most owners, it wouldn't be talked about as much on the Internets.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
But, my truck DOES have turbos (F150 EcoBoost)...however, the forced induction "plumbing" is completely different.

Ok...can we at least agree that it just seems "weird" that this is considered normal operation for the Ascent but not for any other vehicle that I know of? I mean...if it was not a strange occurrence for most owners, it wouldn't be talked about as much on the Internets.
Except for strong cross winds, I don't notice it. We do get a lot of that when I take the highway through the beaches here to avoid traffic. No issues with my hood, and I pass the 50,000 mile mark in a couple weeks, then 60,000 in a couple months. So, I am not worried.

BUT... if you think yours is excessively flexing, I'd bring it in. They can adjust it or see if there's actually a problem.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,743 Posts
I've done three round trips to Florida since I took delivery of my Ascent in May. I've never noticed any hood flutter at the 65-70 mph I generally keep my speed to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently had a family road trip from Texas to Las Vegas. Hood shakes and vibrates at 70+ mph... Same experience when I drove it to Chicago from Texas...

It's a persistent concern of mine but overall driving experience - performance, cornering, handling, snow, etc - is very good!

Hopefully we get a fix for this vibrating / fluttering / shaking hood... Maybe additional clips on the side? :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have never seen my hood shake as described. I've traversed some pretty stiff cross winds lately; heading over the Grape Vine a few days ago where semi's were getting blown off the road. I was zipping along at 70+mph at the time. Slowed to 60+ when I saw the truck in front of me go sideways and was too scared to try and pass him, that I'd get flattened if it went over.
What ever is going on, isn't consistent to all Ascents.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts