Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question
I have noticed that at highway speeds the hood on the Ascent Limited shakes (rattles - but no noise). Not sure if this is normal or a problem. Any ideas. Am I worrying for nothing?

Thanks
TAC

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine seemed steady at 80 (fastest I’ve gone), and fine with highway speeds with cross winds also.

So visually it’s kind of fluttering visibly or ?

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The hood is unnerving in the right wind conditions it shakes so violently that you think it is going to come off at any moment. Conditions are 70 to 80 mph with crosswind or large trucks buffeting the car.
First time it happened we were passing two large trucks at 75 mph and I hit the brakes thinking the hood was coming off.
We travel between Las Vegas and St George often and the speed limit is 75 with many large trucks, talked to a Subuaru service advisor about it and he said yes I noticed it on the way to Salt Lake City then shrugged his shoulders and said thats the way it is.
Had many vehicles over 50 years of driving and have never seen a vehicle with this flimsy of an engine hood, Subaru needs to replace or come up with a fix.
The Ascent has had several issues but the hood shake has me thinking of another vehicle?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 300 mi work trip tomorrow mostly high speeds and some windy draws as well. I shall try to specifically pay attention to the hood and see what I see.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got a little flutter only when I was passing a semi with some wind swirling and doing about 75.

It was brief and settled down after the pass. I guess if that was a constant situation with a lot of truck traffic creating wake turbulences maybe it would be more often.

But for now, that’s my report back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Drove from AZ to CA in March and totally noticed the hood flexing 70+ with some cross winds. scared the heck out of me. Slowed down to 55 and it went away. Really is unnerving. I really felt the hood was going to unlatch and fly off at one point. I'm sure it wouldn't but it was completely distracting for the rest of the drive home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same here

I've noticed this right away during test drive on freeway in March. Salesman insisted it was "snow reflection" or something. We even double checked if the hood was closed when we came back. This is totally Subaru's engineering miss Ht hood itself is too big plus it has air intake for turbo attached to it which increases the shake. For me it appears on speeds like 70+. I decided not to pay attention as long the hood is closed. But overall Ascent's aerodynamics could be better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a question
I have noticed that at highway speeds the hood on the Ascent Limited shakes (rattles - but no noise). Not sure if this is normal or a problem. Any ideas. Am I worrying for nothing?

Thanks
TAC
I hope it is nothing to worry about because mine shakes also

·
Registered
487 Posts
The hood is made from aluminum,it is totally normal depending on the environment and wind conditions.Being so much air traveling through the front grill then entering the duct for the intercooler will cause this flex or bounce you’re seeing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
As adx said, there is a way to reduce or eliminate this that has been mentioned more than once on this forum. Mine does not flex, flutter, or move at all regardless of wind or speed, so either it's adjusted properly, or my car is a superior design.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I tried to induce flutter after reading this thread.

I managed to get a few seconds in disturbed air between trucks, which was the only incident over a 4 hour highway drive. Another time passing a couple trucks in a line, I let it top 90 just to see, but no flutter.

I would guess regular and routine fluttering is not typical.

·
Super Moderator
6,796 Posts
No, but cross winds does seem to make it more prominent, as does things like your experiment.

The thing I noticed is, because of the curve of the hood, it looks like the whole thing is shaking, instead of it really just being the center fluttering.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Being so much air traveling through the front grill then entering the duct for the intercooler will cause this flex or bounce you’re seeing.
Maybe Subaru should make the grill smaller and put a hood scoop on the Ascent! I am bias...Of the 6 Subarus that I owned, 3 had a scoop. And 2 of them were non-functional!

·
Registered
487 Posts
A scoop will definitely remedy what we’re all experiencing and in my opinion it won’t take away anything from the look of the vehicle especially being functional.It’ll just look like a giant WRX/STI.

If I remember correctly someone on the forum photoshopped a CWP model,it was lowered ,added a scoop and all chrome blacked out.Needless to say it was cool looking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We’re 3,500 miles into a 4,100 mile, eight state road trip in our Limited. Traveling through Idaho, we encountered 80 mph speed limits. Once, while passing, we hit 90. The ride was always smooth and quiet. The only thing we noticed with the hood was some visible flexure when we encountered a semi going in the opposite direction. Apparently it’s turbulence and not speed that triggers the phenomenon.

This car has been a dream to drive on all kinds of roads and in all kinds of weather conditions. The combination of Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist and a very smooth, quiet ride has made seven and eight hour driving legs fatigue free. We noticed that, even at eighty mph plus, the Harman Kardon sound system is delivering amazing sound. We’re hearing notes in our favorite oldies we never noticed before.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts