Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everybody. New to the forum and I'm actually posting this for a coworker.
I don't have an Ascent yet (still a goal) so I don't have much knowledge on them.

Anyway, the hood on his wife's Ascent got replaced recently due to big dent that looks like caused by somebody dropping something heavy on top of it.
A body shop replaced the hood but ever since then they noticed the back edge (toward the glass) "flutter" at speed.
The shop tried a few times but the problem does not go away.

My coworker finally took the car to their local Subaru dealership where they made a 1 time courtesy adjustment.
The flutter disappeared for about a week and then came back again.

My coworker has checked around the hinges and everything seems to be tight (no wobble or loose). Any where else he should check?

Thank you in advanced.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Flutter is normal. Mine does it and many others do it too. The adjustment is on the two rubber feet that are at the front of the car. I think they are grey in color. You can unscrew them to lift them up which helps keep pressure on the hood when closed. They do tend to tighten back up due to vibrations or whatever.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The hood is actually aluminum to save weight. It is strong, but it will vibrate at speed when the wind pressure is right.

Probably always happened, but after the repair they were looking for a problem and noticed it.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @Kevin Williams and @Roblesfam5.

It is possible that this is normal and she has just become aware of it. But I will let the husband know to play around with the rubber feed toward the front of the hood to see if it will make any difference.

Thank you again and I learned something new. Didn't know that Ascent has aluminum hood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts