Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing range issues with the Homelink transmitter in their Touring.

Long story short I have a 2015 Outback that has worked just fine with our garage door and Homelink, and now our 2019 Ascent doesn’t seem to have the same range. I know it’s a range problem because when you are sitting in the garage or outside with the door open it works, door closed and outside it doesn’t. The Outback has none of these issues, leading me to believe the transmitter in the smart mirror is weaker and/or there is something in the Ascent attenuating the signal.

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
I don't have another vehicle to compare to, but it's got a far further range than the manufacturer pushbutton openers for our garage door at work. One simple click seems to get it to work.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Interesting. My first thought is the Ascent has better range than my '15 Outback did. For that car, I almost always had to be right in front of the garage. I couldn't push it prior to turning into the driveway and even then, it sometimes failed. The Ascent seems to at least work from the end of the driveway for me but I am not used to pushing it at a further range yet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi All:

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing range issues with the Homelink transmitter in their Touring.

Long story short I have a 2015 Outback that has worked just fine with our garage door and Homelink, and now our 2019 Ascent doesn’t seem to have the same range. I know it’s a range problem because when you are sitting in the garage or outside with the door open it works, door closed and outside it doesn’t. The Outback has none of these issues, leading me to believe the transmitter in the smart mirror is weaker and/or there is something in the Ascent attenuating the signal.
I suspect something is wrong with your transmitter because mine has the longest range of any car I've ever owned- well over 100' at a 90 degree angle to my garage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE:

After trying all of your suggestions and still having really poor range I gave my garage door company a call. They came out and found a bad receiver board on the opener and on further inspection some worn gears (it had been getting noisier as well).

So, we replaced our 18 year old chain drive opener with a brand new belt drive unit. The range is no longer a problem and as a bonus the new opener has wi-fi built in so I can open/close it from anywhere. ?

The Homelink setup was super easy on our Ascent and 2017 Legacy- didn’t even have to use the learn button on the opener even though it has rolling code security. Seeing the two way communication symbols on the mirror as it opens and closes is a bonus..

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've noticed at the in-laws place I can't get their gate to close after we go through it (so we're facing away from it) and it seems like we have to be stopped right in front of it (facing directly at it) to get it to open. I don't know if it's a range issue with the homelink mirror or if it's a receiver issue with their gate.

Working fine and as expected with our garage though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Try resetting the the buttons and reprogramming. Hold the 1st and 3rd button in for 20 seconds and it will forget all the entries. Make sure your remote has good batteries in it. I've actually found with other vehicles that will learn, you will get the best opener response if you use the learn button on your door opener.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My garage is not opening at all, when I hold the remote and teaches it, it blinks very fast and garage closes, then I press and save (that is what step at-least am following), but at the end garage never opens, very disappointed. Any one can shed some light how to do it step by step appreciate it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My garage is not opening at all, when I hold the remote and teaches it, it blinks very fast and garage closes, then I press and save (that is what step at-least am following), but at the end garage never opens, very disappointed. Any one can shed some light how to do it step by step appreciate it.

check your garage manual some garage doors like mine require you to hit a button on the actually garage door opener to get it to work.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It is typically a two step process on newer motors that use a rolling code.

First you get home link to understand the transmission frequency/code of your garage remote.
Second you push learn on the motor to teach the motor receiver that this new devices is a trusted device.

Sounds to me like you did the first part, but never pushed the learn button on the garage motor. After you pair the remote you need to go into the garage click the learn button and then run to your car and push the homelink button. When your garage light flashes that means it accepted the learn. Then you can test to see if it opens and closes.

Remember that the learn is a single click. If you hold it, it will clear the rolling code and pairings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.