Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
has anyone had issues with homelink? I programmed the ascent and it wiped out my other vehicles that were programmed to the door. Now it won’t let them be reprogrammed. Then I took the ascent to my parents to program their door to the number two button on the ascent and it wiped out their remotes and their cars. I’ve tried deleting the ascent and reprogramming the others but they won’t program. It only allows the ascent to be programmed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you were using the remote to program the subaru, I'd use the button on the door opener it self, instructions are usually printed right on the back of the opener. I programmed my 3 doors that way and has been working flawlessly. How many openers are programmed for the doors, I know some openers only allow a couple of remotes to operate the door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the button on the back of the garage door motor to program the ascent. I have a Toyota Camry and one remote. The Camry will not program since i did the ascent. My parents have three cars on one door. When I added the ascent it cleared their cars.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I used the button on the back of the garage door motor to program the ascent. I have a Toyota Camry and one remote. The Camry will not program since i did the ascent. My parents have three cars on one door. When I added the ascent it cleared their cars.

I'm not sure what's going on here, either - but I've run into this same problem with one of my two garage door openers (we have a typical detached two-car garage, but the two sides are on different model openers).

The other vehicle in this case is my wife's '16 WRX.

For some reason, on the one, I can either register my Ascent or my wife's '16 WRX, but not both. This is using the garage door's physical "Learn" button, not its remotes.

I'll update with info on the specific openers - both the one that is able to retain both HomeLink remotes - as well as the one which only seems to want to retain just one vehicle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Most of the openers will allow you to remove all the programmed remotes by holding in the program button for about 10 seconds, it will flash for a bit and then turn off. It should have then erased all the programmed remotes. I'd then reprogram the remotes and then vehicles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have never had a problem with Homelink in my Ascent or any other vehicle.

The problem is not with the Homelink but very likely how you are programming the door opener once you have the code set in the Ascent.

Check to see what the programming instructions are for your specific garage door opener. If you hold the learn button too long it will clear the codes. That is very likely what happened in your case.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am curious, and definitely no expert, about how you are programming your homelink. I just used my hand held remote to program my Ascent. I don’t think I had to mess with the opener. My gripe is a bit different. My wife’s Outback powers down the homelink when the car is off. My Ascent doesn’t. Therefore, if my Ascent is parked outside, and off, someone could break into the Ascent and open my attached garage. Because of this, I won’t use the homelink in my Ascent. Does anyone know how to change this?

·
Registered
94 Posts
How’s this any different than if you had the remote on the sun visor? Plus if someone wanted in your house that bad they’d just pop the glass on a door and unlock it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I am curious, and definitely no expert, about how you are programming your homelink. I just used my hand held remote to program my Ascent. I don’t think I had to mess with the opener.

Depending on the type of garage door opener, its security feature may not allow for the working remote to be used to program another. Years ago, one of our old garage door openers was able to be programmed by using the remote - our openers now both require depressing the "Learn" button on the physical unit to enable programming of any remote.

My gripe is a bit different. My wife’s Outback powers down the homelink when the car is off. My Ascent doesn’t. Therefore, if my Ascent is parked outside, and off, someone could break into the Ascent and open my attached garage. Because of this, I won’t use the homelink in my Ascent. Does anyone know how to change this?

I have not seen this mentioned in any of the manuals in any of our 8 Subarus (over the years) with HomeLink. And yes, in some vehicles, the HomeLink power is tied to a switched circuit - in others it was able to be actuated even without a key in the ignition.

If you can sacrifice the other features of the mirror, you could simply pull that fuse.

Otherwise, I'd be tempted to find a switched power source - splicing some wiring - but that may itself interfere with operation of the other features.

A smart garage opener tied to your smartphone?

----

I have never had a problem with Homelink in my Ascent or any other vehicle.

The problem is not with the Homelink but very likely how you are programming the door opener once you have the code set in the Ascent.

Check to see what the programming instructions are for your specific garage door opener. If you hold the learn button too long it will clear the codes. That is very likely what happened in your case.

^ I thought that was the case, too, so I re-started and only poked the button once to start the "Learn" light blinking.

That said, while I admit to being a RTMFM type myself, I was in a bit of a rush that night in programming. I'm going to dig up the manuals for the problematic opener and read through it to be sure that I'm not making some kind of stupid mistake....which is probably exactly what I'm doing! :grin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I’ve unprogrammed the other vehicles and then reprogrammed them (the way the manual says to) the light indicator shows it’s programmed to something but isn’t opening the door. Idk if this has anything to do with programming the ascent or what but it’s done it to two different doors and and now 5 cars won’t open the door. Only the ascent will open the door now. ?‍♂ Called home link and they said it’s not their problem. ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’ve unprogrammed the other vehicles and then reprogrammed them (the way the manual says to) the light indicator shows it’s programmed to something but isn’t opening the door. Idk if this has anything to do with programming the ascent or what but it’s done it to two different doors and and now 5 cars won’t open the door. Only the ascent will open the door now. ?‍♂ Called home link and they said it’s not their problem. ?
It is not a problem with Homelink but the communication between the remotes/cars and the garage door opener. The Homelink has zero effect on other cars or other remotes. How they communicate with the door opener is the problem.

It is a two step process for most openers. First step is set the Homelink button and next is to get the door opener to recognize it. For old garage openers this second step may not be necessary. For newer openers it is. Each door opener manufacturer/model can have a different process for programming the remotes. You need to locate the directions for the specific opener you are dealing with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Owning and operating a garage door company for last 25 years, I can confirm that nothing on homelink or any remote transmitter can “erase” another vehicle or separate remote. The programming button on the door operator was held in too long. Every door opener has its own variation on a theme for programming.

·
Registered
225 Posts
has anyone had issues with homelink? I programmed the ascent and it wiped out my other vehicles that were programmed to the door. Now it won’t let them be reprogrammed. Then I took the ascent to my parents to program their door to the number two button on the ascent and it wiped out their remotes and their cars. I’ve tried deleting the ascent and reprogramming the others but they won’t program. It only allows the ascent to be programmed.
The homelink buttons don't change anything on your garage motor. What you do is you teach the homelink button the frequency on the remote signal, after that you press the learn button on the motor this essential tells the motor that the ascent is a trusted opener. That is it.

90% of garage openers require you to push the learn button and release. If you end up holding it after the click you are clearing out the previous pairings.

My guess is that you did it on both your and your parents motors.

Your best bet is to look at the instructions for each motor and completely clear them and start fresh. I have a 90's liftmaster motor and have no issue. My in-laws have a 2017 motor from liftmaster and I've added the Ascent with no issue.

The way the pairing process works your Ascent isn't blocking the others. Its simply asking for permission from the motor control unit and clicking the button opens up that learn function.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an issue programing the Homelink. No lights on the Homelink when trying to program. We have an Ascent Touring with the menu for Homelink. Never a response and never any lights on the Homelink buttons. Have attempted button 1,2 and 3. Same - no lights in the Homelink side of the mirror. Took it to the dealer and they said numerous people had this problem and their Service Manager was able to help. A week later waiting for a callback from him. Called the day after he was supposed to contact me and he was out of the office. Still no follow-up from him. Having to use the handheld remote for the Genie opener. We were able to program the Genie without problem on a Highlander and a Prius.
Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used the learn button on the garsge door as well. I tried a different door as well. Same results. Still no word from the dealer. Called dealer again. The only person there who knows about homelink is out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took it to the dealer. Their tech said it passes diagnostics. And the menu shows on the mirror right side. Just no lights on the left (homelink) side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Homelink issue

I want to scream out of frustration what to do next. My other car (2017 Forester) has been connected to me garage door for two years. No problem. I can’t get the Ascent to stay connected or work. The dealer replaces the mirror (touring) and said this is it...we don’t know what else to do. On target, about 4 days, I drive out of my garage and it works. I pull in after dinner and it doesn’t work. I’ve set it up according to everything known to man in the manual and online (remote and learn button). There is nothing about setting it up that hasn’t been tried. It’s not user error. My other car works. It’s not the garage door unit. What’s the one NEW factor?...the Ascent. What am I missing? Frustrated in Dallas.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts