Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know Homelink mirrors are not specific to Subarus... I've only been able to Google the same problem, but no actual solutions were available.

Homelink has been fine until a couple of days ago when I had to reprogram all cars/remotes. All is working well, except the Homelink (house shape) icon now stays on in the Ascent's mirror after I use it. I can make it go away if I press one of the non-programmed buttons. Apparently it will shut off after a minute, but I haven't tested that yet. Before all of this, the icon would turn off within a couple of seconds.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

I have a Liftmaster GDO with the Chamberlain MyQ hub. I just installed a new piece of hardware (Chamberlain Home Bridge) when this all happened. Like I said, it all works (have to test Apple Homekit actually), but the icon stays lit in the mirror. It's more of an annoyance at this point.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
I was looking forward to that Chamberlain hardware being released about the same time I had to move out of my last place that actually had a garage. sad face...
Anyway, the hardware you installed shouldn't have any affect on the homelink system in the Ascent. That hardware is just seeing the RF signal when you press a homelink button and sending out its own signal. Sorry I don't have any more info than that toward a solution.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking forward to that Chamberlain hardware being released about the same time I had to move out of my last place that actually had a garage. sad face...
Anyway, the hardware you installed shouldn't have any affect on the homelink system in the Ascent. That hardware is just seeing the RF signal when you press a homelink button and sending out its own signal. Sorry I don't have any more info than that toward a solution.
I confirmed that the icon turns off after a minute or so, but the reason/fix is still a mystery.

Unrelated: With the Home Brige installed I can add now add the GDO to Homekit, but I get an "unreponsive" message when I try to use it. It's something I'll have to figure out. I've tried to get into Homekit a few times, but it's always been so half-baked it's not even funny. Every other "smart home" app/ecosystem is so much better. I'm doing all of this in preparation for the changes that iOS 13 brings to CarPlay (such as the GDO control). I'll wait for the full release of iOS13 before I start troubleshooting all of the involved apps and hardware.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
All this smart home technology is still in its baby stages. It was only a few years ago that HomeKit, Alexa, and google home started becoming usable. I hoping in a few years costs for devices will be down along with its usefulness up!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Without changing anything, it finally worked.

I got home yesterday and asked Siri to close the garage. This was not working the day before. She first said "hmm..." and made me open the Home App. Then the garage finally opened. I tested it a few more times and Homekit finally figured it out and worked as expected! My Home Bridge is connected and configured correctly, it seems.

...Then this morning I asked Siri to open the garage. I got nothing! With so many devices and apps in play, this is going to be fun to troubleshoot. I went on a Homekit forum and it turns out this is a known issue. At this point I'm just going to wait to install iOS 13 before going further.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts