Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike rack has a tightening hitch pin which works well in stabilizing the rack in the receiver. I also tow an under 3500lb boat. Would a tightening hitch pin work for the trailer or should I get a u-bolt hitch tightener for towing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The bike rack's hitch pin threads into a nut inside the adapter. You can get a setup like that but I'd prefer an external type.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Personally, I would not trust a pin like that. There is the basic shear strength lessened due to the presence of threads, but also, when it's tightened, the trailer pushing left/right on the ball will be putting a large tensile load on the pin because of the clearance between the receiver and ball adapter.

There is the J type anti rattle pin which I think is good but you need another hole in the receiver, and the factory receiver does not have one.

The external type like below doesn't affect the basic strength or integrity of the setup.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I would not trust a pin like that. There is the basic shear strength lessened due to the presence of threads, but also, when it's tightened, the trailer pushing left/right on the ball will be putting a large tensile load on the pin because of the clearance between the receiver and ball adapter.

There is the J type anti rattle pin which I think is good but you need another hole in the receiver, and the factory receiver does not have one.

The external type like below doesn't affect the basic strength or integrity of the setup.

Yup, my concern was how effective a pin threaded to only one side of the receiver would manage the added stress of the trailer vs a bike rack that only vectors in one plane.

I'm going with this one for one reason. It's made in USA.

I don't tow the boat frequently and usually only a short distance to my ramp but the rattling and banging are annoying enough to make this small investment.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yeah. Towing with our truck or our older body-on-frame SUV, hitch rattle was never a problem. With our more recent unibody SUVs you can def here the noise loudly transmitted to the cabin.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts

I use an identical anti-rattle thing - works well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had that problem on my suburban and I had a buddy in a welding shop so I took it to him and he welded 4 beads , one on each side of the shank (full length) and ground it so that it didn't have such a big wobble. Some shanks fit tighter than others, this one was really loose. Once the wobble was reduced (not gone) I didn't hear anymore noise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found this anti rattle device on e-trailer. It doesn't fit exactly like it is designed - in the picture it is on the lip of the receiver, but it slips off the hitch receiver as you tighten it or wiggle it a bit since there is not enough room in front of the raised portion of the hitch for it to press against the raised lip. And it doesn't fit tight to the shank on top of the hitch because there is not enough room between the shoulder of the hitch and the receiver surround! But, by just tighting it down, essentially in the "gap", it makes the hitch rattle-less, because the gap is less width than the diameter of the bars of the u-bolt and the bar that bolts on top. The bolts are really close to the trim so have to be careful tightening it to be sure not to scratch the paint. But it appears solid. I have a travel trailer on order so once it arrives I'll give it a good test.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Keep in mind you may need a different ball mount with a different drop, to accomondate your trailer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Keep in mind you may need a different ball mount with a different drop, to accomondate your trailer.
Agreed Robert - but my initial measurements at the dealer on a similar unit showed the Subaru hitch should be the right height. Of course if I tow other trailers (U-Haul for instance) I may need another hitch bar that would accommodate a typical anti-rattle device.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I still have the OEM ball mount, and a couple other anti-rattle thingies... this coming weekend, I can try them, if you'd like, and let you know if one works.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
The OEM ball mount has been the correct height for both my 5x8 utility trailer and a UHaul trailer I rented and pulled from Florida to SE PA...about 18-19" ball height.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I found this anti rattle device on e-trailer. It doesn't fit exactly like it is designed - in the picture it is on the lip of the receiver, but it slips off the hitch receiver as you tighten it or wiggle it a bit since there is not enough room in front of the raised portion of the hitch for it to press against the raised lip. And it doesn't fit tight to the shank on top of the hitch because there is not enough room between the shoulder of the hitch and the receiver surround! But, by just tighting it down, essentially in the "gap", it makes the hitch rattle-less, because the gap is less width than the diameter of the bars of the u-bolt and the bar that bolts on top. The bolts are really close to the trim so have to be careful tightening it to be sure not to scratch the paint. But it appears solid. I have a travel trailer on order so once it arrives I'll give it a good test.

View attachment 11846
Hey, sorry it took so long to get back to you. This is the exact one I was talking about earlier that someone else bought as well. It works with the OEM ball mount, as you can see from the pics. The key is to orient it in the fashion that Saskgal has it positioned.

I bought mine here:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Robert - I had one like that on my Outback with a bike rack - it's bent a little now so won't work in the Ascent. I may get one - it seems to "fit" better than the one I have.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Thanks, Robert...I ordered one of those immediately upon seeing your post and will get it installed today. I'm going to be using my utility trailer a LOT over the next month due to the move and this will likely cut down a lot of hitch noise, especially when it's empty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts