Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it says in the title - where does your hitch hang out when not in use?

In my OB, I had a space for it beneath the trunk floor that was foam, above the spare tire. I believe this was split into two sections - either way, I kept the hitch in there, along with jumpers, gloves, tire chains, and other things I needed to carry but would infrequently use.

I did try to use the storage beneath the trunk floorboard in the Ascent, but given the width, it was sliding around quite a bit.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,125 Posts
Since I'm not likely to run into an abandoned trailer I'd like to tow away, I keep everything (ball mount, anti-rattle clamp, box end wrench, receiver lock) on the tongue of my boat trailer exactly where I need them when it's time to tow.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
If I'm carrying it in the Ascent, I carry it under the cargo area floor in the storage area.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I'm not likely to run into an abandoned trailer I'd like to tow away, I keep everything (ball mount, anti-rattle clamp, box end wrench, receiver lock) on the tongue of my boat trailer exactly where I need them when it's time to tow.
No stealth trailer sneakaways for you, I see.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
My ball mount and locking pin go in the cargo storage bin under the floor in the back, wrapped in a dish towel so they don't make noise.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
I keep the locking pin installed in the receiver. My ball mount is in the shed since it’s rather heavy and also don’t tend to do spur of the moment trailering. Underneath the trunk floor I do keep my ball mount that came with the hitch (back when that was a thing) with a shackle attached and a tow strap, just in case. Knock on wood... my jumper cables help it not slide around but I haven’t needed them, yet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I keep the factory hitch and pin in the box, in the rear storage. Never hear it rattle or slide around. Also been told I drive like an old granny. In reality, I'm just saving it.
I've got a decent Mendocino pin stripe job from manzanitas, and half mile hilly dirt driveway. (and I leave a full carlength ahead of me when driving 70 on the freeway)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I made a foam cutout to hold the factory hitch that is form fitted to the left side of the under floor storage. I added a layer of shelf liner foam to the bottom to keep it in place (because I drive like I think I'm Senna). I've since changed to an after market hitch (less drop) and haven't gotten around to taking pictures of it but it's the same idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Subaru mount with a 2" ball I keep in in the original box on a shelf in the garage (ready for when I tow a rental trailer). The 3-1/4'' drop mount with 2-5/16" ball for our travel trailer lives in the front storage compartment of the trailer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Subaru mount was too big and heavy and it's somewhere languishing in the garage.
The drop mount for our camper is in the garage next to the sway control bar.
The replacement 2" mount that I use for our small utility trailer is in the back under floor compartment, jammed from moving with lots of other stuff like rope, jumper cables, tools, toilet paper, the manual, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.