Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been speaking to a few dealers and they all seem confused. Does the Subaru Ascent Premium and Touring come with a hitch receiver already or does that have to be purchased?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hitch is not standard. It's an option that can be added by the dealer if it doesn't have it. We ordered a Touring and added the hitch at the time of the order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge. So you are saying it didn't come with a Hitch Receiver either? I'm just wanting to install a bike rack into the receiver.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My Limited trim did not include a hitch. I thought it did some standard, but apparently not. It is an accessory adder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all of the responses. Some of these sales people have no idea what they are talking about. I had one of the dealers speak with an engineer and remove the hitch cover, none of the models came with the hitch receiver as a standard.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My Limited trim did not include a hitch. I thought it did some standard, but apparently not. It is an accessory adder.
I also thought it was standard and it was too late to update my order when i realized my mistake. Planning to order one in the spring and have it added.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thank you for all of the responses. Some of these sales people have no idea what they are talking about. I had one of the dealers speak with an engineer and remove the hitch cover, none of the models came with the hitch receiver as a standard.
Sales people can be like that. I think the ones that hang out here are exceptions. The internet sales guy at my Subaru dealership was great/knowledgeable as well. When I bought a Mazda in 2016, that salesguy knew hardly anything about the vehicle and tried to use a 4 square to talk numbers! I literally stood up while he was still talking, shook his hand and walked out. We used our credit union to broker a deal (similar to Truecar price) and had it delivered to the CU, complete with red bow, etc. Delivery took 15 minutes! I would've have done the same with the Ascent, but it was too new at the time. I had to do it the old fashioned way.

After poring over subaru.com and building my Ascent several times prior to purchase, it became evident that the hitch receiver is not standard. I thought everybody did that? Or am I weird? :grin:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Correct, none of them have the hitch automatically. Also, there are two spring loaded pins that have to go onto the hitch cover if you have a hitch - the ones that come on the cars without one are NOT re-usable once you take them off. (Or they're not supposed to be, anyway.)

That hitch cover re-design was partially due to an issue that I reported on Day One, when the first one hit our lot and we figured out that the attached spring loaded pins would knock the retaining clips off. Oops... :tango_face_surprise

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Correct, none of them have the hitch automatically. Also, there are two spring loaded pins that have to go onto the hitch cover if you have a hitch - the ones that come on the cars without one are NOT re-usable once you take them off. (Or they're not supposed to be, anyway.)

That hitch cover re-design was partially due to an issue that I reported on Day One, when the first one hit our lot and we figured out that the attached spring loaded pins would knock the retaining clips off. Oops... :tango_face_surprise
I haven't used my hitch yet, but I do have those spring loaded pins and have experienced the clips falling out. Is there an updated part for this? Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I haven't used my hitch yet, but I do have those spring loaded pins and have experienced the clips falling out. Is there an updated part for this? Thanks.
I had my hitch updated from the original to the latest version and the clips are the same.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
561 Posts
Fixed mine with a bit of hot glue and they;ve been staying on

·
Registered
561 Posts
My dealer was also confused and they insured me mine came with a hitch and when i went to go hookup the boat i was met with Styrofoam. Called them and they said all limited come with a hitch and to make sure i was looking in the right place....ended up installing it myself.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Not that I can find. The cover itself is fairly inexpensive - less than $20. But the clips and spring loaded pins don't seem to be available to my parts department at this time. And no, I agree, that doesn't make a lot of sense, but I've seen things like this before, where the only way to get a part of an assembly was to order the whole thing.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Do you know if those of us with the clips falling off could get the redesigned cover?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was pretty damned pissed about this when we received our Ascent Touring. I told them I wanted the top package so we didn't have to go through any b.s. negotiations with the dealer. Showed up to pick it up and no receiver. If my wife would have let me I would have left. They charged us $750 for dealer installed which I have yet to schedule because they say it takes four hours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1Up

The original post(er) wanted the hitch receiver for a bike rack. We have an Outback (1.25") and Ascent (2"). We purchased a 1up rack that works with both, no issue with the Subaru hitch and its pin hole that is often too close to the opening (so many racks don't fit the Subaru hitch). An FYI...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was pretty damned pissed about this when we received our Ascent Touring. I told them I wanted the top package so we didn't have to go through any b.s. negotiations with the dealer. Showed up to pick it up and no receiver. If my wife would have let me I would have left. They charged us $750 for dealer installed which I have yet to schedule because they say it takes four hours.
The hitch was a port installed accessory. I believe the cost at the time of build was $500. With the dealer they end up charging you for labor on top of that $500. I wanted one off the lot and it didn't have the hitch so I paid the labor cost because I wanted the car.

My car was the first one the dealer did and scheduled 3 hours and gave me a loaner. They got it done in two. They should be giving you a loaner.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The original post(er) wanted the hitch receiver for a bike rack. We have an Outback (1.25") and Ascent (2"). We purchased a 1up rack that works with both, no issue with the Subaru hitch and its pin hole that is often too close to the opening (so many racks don't fit the Subaru hitch). An FYI...
I have a Thule T2 pro hitch rack that is 2 inches. I have no issues with the pin hole being too close.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts