Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I thought when we bought the Ascent that it would have an OEM hitch in the back. I was wrong lol. So, I have a 1 1/4 in with a 2 in adapter bike rack and I can't use it right now ha. Any recommendations for an awesome hitch to connect to 1 1/4 in or 2 in bike trailer for the Ascent? Price budget would be somewhere between $200-300. TIA peeps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think most of the stuff I've read is saying to just get the OEM hitch and install it yourself. I'll let others with more knowledge weigh in though as I don't have personal experience.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The OEM hitch is superior than the other options on the market, and worth any potential extra cost. If you can install yourself (a standard bolt-on procedure documented in multiple places) $300 budget is possible.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thank you guys for the reply! I would look into to the OEM hitch 👌
I need one too, I will only buy OEM since it's more complete and comes with 4/7 plug harness.

Just called one of my local Subaru parts, $360 or installed for $585. Cheaper than my other shop LOL.. its amazing the price difference between dealerships.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If all you are doing is a bike rack, go to e-trailer.com and get one for around half the cost or less of OEM. I think I paid under $150 for mine. I then bought a small trailer lighting adaptor that plugs into the Ascent wiring and comes out as a 4 wire connector. That's enough for both a bike carrier or a small trailer.
If you plan to tow a larger trailer, like an RV sized trailer, then get the OEM.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good luck finding an OEM hitch (would love to hear where if you are successful). I've been waiting over 2 months for my dealer to find one (beginning to think they aren't really trying). Supposedly, they are on national backorder due to Covid-19, which is the new, handy built-in excuse being used by many suppliers these days.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good luck finding an OEM hitch (would love to hear where if you are successful). I've been waiting over 2 months for my dealer to find one (beginning to think they aren't really trying). Supposedly, they are on national backorder due to Covid-19, which is the new, handy built-in excuse being used by many suppliers these days.
Just did a quick internet search and there appears to be lots of options for ordering online.

I think some of these are the previous version of the part number, but it should still apply. If anything I think it is better and might include something the new one doesn't like the bumper cover.

·
Registered
186 Posts
A fuel efficient SUV with 5K lb capacity should have been forecasted as a big demand item, and the capable ones shold have come with hitch receiver from the factory, instead of everyone trying to bolt something on afterward.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
shold have come with hitch receiver from the factory,
Mine came with one "from the factory"...I ordered it that way. (Yes, it was port installed, but so were all the other accessories I ordered)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts