Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would add my review of the "Hitch Clamp". Works perfectly. Tried duct tape and hammering a thin washer into the receiver to no avail. Got the Hitch Clamp from amazon and problem solved.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Would you please send either a picture or a link to the specific device you’re referring to? I have found on Amazon two different products called the “Hitch Clamp,” and I assume the product you are referring to is one of these two, but just wanted to make sure before I ordered it. I’m currently searching for one of these devices that will work with the Subaru supplied ball receiver/stinger that came with the car and have found that the tight clearances prevent some of these anti-rattle devices from being used. Which brings up my second question, are you using the Subaru part or an aftermarket ball hitch receiver? Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you please send either a picture or a link to the specific device you’re referring to? I have found on Amazon two different products called the “Hitch Clamp,” and I assume the product you are referring to is one of these two, but just wanted to make sure before I ordered it. I’m currently searching for one of these devices that will work with the Subaru supplied ball receiver/stinger that came with the car and have found that the tight clearances prevent some of these anti-rattle devices from being used. Which brings up my second question, are you using the Subaru part or an aftermarket ball hitch receiver? Thanks
This is what I have, works with the Subaru receiver
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013J6O5H0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
70 Posts
My solution has been to pull a length of bike tire through the last hole that goes in the receiver. Having that wad of rubber at the end of the tube made getting the hitch pin through a bit trickier, but it's pulled everything nice and snug. Also pushed a few layers of bike tire onto the hitch pin to prevent it from jostling back and forth.

Reactions: thegeeknme

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Etrailer has a locking hitch pin tha locks the receiver down to prevent movement and rattles...... a whole lot easier and convenient to use, install and remove.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Etrailer has a locking hitch pin tha locks the receiver down to prevent movement and rattles...... a whole lot easier and convenient to use, install and remove.
Assuming I'm looking at the correct item at Etrailer, those locking pins that are also an anti-rattle device are designed to work on hitch ball mounts that have a hollow shank, while the Subaru one is solid. I could buy one that has a hollow shank, like the one I use on my Crosstrek, but then I could just use my current anti-rattle device as the poster above is doing. However, I like the Subaru hitch ball mount since it's tucked in close to the rear bumper, so I'll probably go with the anti-rattle device the original poster is using.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As that works for ya. Most of us aren't going to pull max payload so the hollow will suffice and using the locking receiver pin with anti rattle feature is convenient

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
With the Subaru supplied hitch ball receiver, or an aftermarket one with a longer shank?
With a hitch platform and an aftermarket one, though it fit the Subaru supplied one as well.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
With a hitch platform and an aftermarket one, though it fit the Subaru supplied one as well.
I’ll try it again, but I was unable to make it work before. Maybe if installed it upside down?
I can't remember whether I did upside down or back to front, or both. Only did it once and didn't tow that way.

Please let me know which works, so I know if this comes up again.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I ordered this one. Have used it with my 2000lb trailer, and my utility rack. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001CMUV4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm beginning to think that the hitch and/or ball hitch (stinger) that came with my Ascent is different than what some of the other owners have. The reason I say that is the two hitch tighteners identified by posters to this thread, including the one quoted above, and the other "Hitch Clamp" mentioned earlier in this thread, won't work on my stock Ascent setup - there is just not enough room/clearance for either one to fit. I was going to work around this dilemma by purchasing another ball hitch with a longer neck, but I noted that Subaru states in the manual to only use the one provided with the vehicle (believe it's in the same paragraph where they state not to use any type of weight distributing hitch), though I know other forum members are using aftermarket ball hitches. If there is someone who is using a hitch tightener successfully with the stock equipment, I would be very appreciative if they could post a picture showing that. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I'm beginning to think that the hitch and/or ball hitch (stinger) that came with my Ascent is different than what some of the other owners have. The reason I say that is the two hitch tighteners identified by posters to this thread, including the one quoted above, and the other "Hitch Clamp" mentioned earlier in this thread, won't work on my stock Ascent setup - there is just not enough room/clearance for either one to fit. I was going to work around this dilemma by purchasing another ball hitch with a longer neck, but I noted that Subaru states in the manual to only use the one provided with the vehicle (believe it's in the same paragraph where they state not to use any type of weight distributing hitch), though I know other forum members are using aftermarket ball hitches. If there is someone who is using a hitch tightener successfully with the stock equipment, I would be very appreciative if they could post a picture showing that. Thanks!
That is different. Regardless, put it on upside down. :tango_face_wink:

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Put the threaded U rod upside down facing upwards, then put the bracket on, tapered edge forward and down.
The threaded u-rod will not slide into position (regardless which direction you try) due to the welds that hold the curved metal piece with the ball to the solid piece that slides into the receiver. The photos don’t show the tight clearances involved. It would appear that I either live with the rattle if I want to use the stock ball hitch, or buy another one with a longer neck if I want to use an anti-rattle device. Thanks for your suggestions.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.