Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are several different versions of the same hitch for the Ascent. I went to buy hitch (L101SXC002) for my 2019 Ascent, but it said it was superceeded by L101SXC003. When I look at the L101SXC003 it says its for the 2020 model. Is this backwards compatible? Can I install L101SXC003 on my 2019?

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Per this, yes, you can. It replaces L101SXC002.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yea that's what I was figuring as well. I just thought it was interesting that they said L101SXC003 fits the 2020, but did not include the 2019 specifically.

At any rate, I just purchased the L101SXC003 for my 2019. I will keep you guys posted when I get it and attempt the install.

Text Product Font Automotive exterior Car

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yea that's what I was figuring as well. I just thought it was interesting that they said L101SXC003 fits the 2020, but did not include the 2019 specifically.

At any rate, I just purchased the L101SXC003 for my 2019. I will keep you guys posted when I get it and attempt the install.
Awesome! Let me know if you can't find the install instructions or need tips. Also, if you don't have a set, I highly recommend these:

There are more expensive, professional ones, but, that set works very well and should hold up for anyone not doing a dozen cars a day. Other than that, you will need a philips screwdriver to remove some of the trim clips.

Some other tips...
  • be very careful with the RAB and sonar sensor harness.
  • Carefully remove the back bumper, because there are two radar units behind it (one on each corner, above the bumper line, below the rear lights). You don't want to knock them out of alignment.
  • If a clip pops the flat edge out, pull the serrated edge out of the opposite piece of trim/car, slide the flat end back into place, and then just pop the trim back on when you are done. It's near impossible to line up the slide-on ends, but very easy to pop in the ridged ends. Yet, I seem to always have about 10-15% of the flat ends come out when I remove one of our trim pieces, lol.
  • Route every harness, and then plan the location of the harness tie downs. Use alcohol pads to prep the area, and let the alcohol evaporate off. If you place it once and need to move it, then pull the tie down clip off, replace it with another, or remove the adhesive strip and replace it with a piece of grey 3M industrial outdoor double sided adhesive tape. It only sticks to that stuff back there once (and because of that, my harness dangles along my spare tire - one day I will re-tape it - I bought the tape a year ago, lol, but too busy).
  • Be careful plugging in the 4/7 pin harness connectors to the harness in the driver's side rear cargo/quarter panel area. Some people and dealers have bent a pin doing so. Dunno how, but, since it happened, I figured I'd mention it.

• And finally, re-torque the bolts (one time) in the sub-frame after 600 miles of towing use.

Hope that helps!

Also, if you can take pics of the pieces and the installation, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips! I just purchased the molding removal kit as well.

I was able to find the L101SXC002 installation instructions. I was planning on using them unless someone was able to find the L101SXC003 instructions.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Should be the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha! I just ran into the same problem I finished the install without them. I'll post pics in a day or two.

I got a hold of Subaru via email. I'll wait to see what they say about the missing covers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok so I finished the install of the L101SXC003 on my 2019 Ascent. Everything went pretty well. I like to take my time so it took a bit longer. Plus I was taking photos at the same time.

Some notes...
  • Having the right tool to remove the push pin fasteners was nice. Didn't damage any.
  • Be gentle with the RAB sensor harness clips. I have no idea how you would properly get those out. I got lucky with not breaking them. They just bent a little bit but I was able to reuse them.
  • Routing all the wiring before using the zip ties was a very good tip. Great tip, thanks Robert. The harness had white tape on it to indicate the zip tie points.
  • I cleaned the areas where the zip tie mounts needed to stick.
  • I had to omit step #6. The L101SXC003 kit did not come with the cover panels.
I have attached pics. I tried to label/add in order them by step, according to the L101SXC002 directions.

Trunk Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior
Tool Trunk Vehicle door Auto part
Gun Firearm Vehicle door Auto part Trigger
Vehicle door Auto part Hand
Vehicle door Automotive exterior Trunk Bumper Tire
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Vehicle Wheel
Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper Tire Auto part
Vehicle door Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Trunk
Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle Tire Wheel
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Will do. I would love to see the 003 manual. But I dont see your attachment.
It was too large for the forum so I put in a Google drive link but forgot to edit the post ?‍♂. Let me know if you can't access it and what you think. Main differences I saw were to do the plug mounts before mounting the hitch and no mention on cover plates. Also prettier pictures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No worries. I was able to get them. Man the 003 directions are way better. Haha Definitely would have done a few things differently. Nothing critical.

I heard back from Subaru. They said...

I've been looking into the missing parts for your trailer hitch and as far as I can tell I believe they are just cosmetic but the diagrams make it hard to tell for certain. If you would like I can try and contact the manufacturer to see if I can obtain the missing covers but unfortunately at the moment those trailer hitches are on backorder. As for the installation guide being for the l101sxc002 and not the l101sxc003, it doesn't make any difference. They're the same part, l101sxc002 is just the old part number for l101sxc003. Let me know how you want me to proceed or if you have any other questions or concerns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No worries. I was able to get them. Man the 003 directions are way better. Haha Definitely would have done a few things differently. Nothing critical.

I heard back from Subaru. They said...
Haha yeah - I was using the 000 manual up until the covers - wishing I would have done it in the 003 order for sure. Hope someone else can find the 003 manual useful though.

Also really strange that the covers would be "cosmetic" given that they are hidden under the bumper haha. Keep me posted on what they say - I am going to email my dealer's parts department as well. Hoping that since the steps are missing in the new manual that the covers aren't needed. Don't really want to take the bumper off again :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea thats exactly what I just replied to Subaru with. To make sure that they are not cosmetic (e.g. doesnt affect structural integrity or help prevent rusting) . Because I dont want to pull the bumper again either. Ill let you know.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts