Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in canada and when I build an ascent online at subaru.ca it says the price for the hitch and states it does not include installation. I need it for 5000 Lb towing with the 7 pin trailer wiring connector. I will install my own brake controller for my trailer brakes. Does the hitch come with the 7 pin connector? and does anyone know what the total cost incl installation of all parts is to tow 5000 Lbs? Also they don't mention if a transmission cooler is required and if so I wonder what the total cost is for this as well. Just trying to figure out what the total would be for everything so I can drive off and tow. Except the brake controller of course... on that note I assume there is a wiring harness for the brake controller near the dash somewhere that I can just plug into like the pilot has?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I bought the factory hitch and installed it myself. Takes about 1 hour, though could be much faster for an experienced person. The factory kit is extremely well made and mates perfectly with the subframe of the vehicle. It is rated for 5000 pounds and does not include any sort of extra transmission cooler. Do not buy the hitch receiver as the factory one is crazy expensive for hunk of metal you can buy on amazon for $20

The hitch comes with a 4 pin and a 7 pin connector, but I am not sure about brake controlling as I haven't needed to use one. I didn't add anything like a brake controller in the process.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The factory hitch comes with two connectors, both a 4 pin and a 7 pin so you should be all set there.

My Ascent Limited came with the hitch already installed and I was not charged any labor. You should be able to receive the same, you can make this a condition of your purchase.

All but the base models of the Ascent are rated to tow 5,000 lbs and include a factory-installed transmission cooler so you don't need to worry about that.

The Ascent comes with wiring for a brake controller, but you'll need to buy and install the controller. There are several threads in this forum about that for your reference.

·
Registered
421 Posts
However you get it done, if you are having a dealer install or self-installing, be aware that the 5000 pound limitation is by trim (even though you use the same hitch parts). Something to do with transmission cooling. Basically don't go with the Convenience trim if you want full tow capacity in Canada.
F.S.
Text Font Line Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may be able to negotiate into the price but canada dealers don't seem to offer any discounts except for end of year inventory. In Canada our premium is fully loaded the same as the touring is in the USA. What each model comes with varies compared to the US ascent so you cannot compare them exactly. So this is the the canadian subaru site and this is the premium which is the top model. If you scroll down in the window below you will see the details. Clearly the top line model doesn't come with the hitch.

• Trailer hitch (Class 3)
  • Subaru hitches are engineered and crash tested to meet the same rigorous safety standards as the rest of the Ascent. Rated at 500 lbs. tongue weight, 5,000 lbs. maximum towing capacity, with base models rated at 200 lbs. tongue weight and 2,000 lbs. maximum towing capacity. Trailer hitch requires the hitch and harness for proper operation and safety compliance. Trailer ball not included.
  • Estimated Installation Time: 2 hours
  • View Video
  • Download installation guide
SELECT
$711.95*
Suggested List Price
*Excluding installation and taxes

·
Registered
421 Posts
Right. So if Canada doesn't appear to do factory-installed hitches, you're left with what the others said above for installation.

Primary question in my mind is, does buying the hitch option parts include the connector/wiring to plug in your brake controller? Worth asking the dealer, even if you install yourself, since a really good answer from them would be "the base vehicle comes with a connected connector behind the lower panel by the driver's left foot" (that's where mine was, US MY2019 Touring which is CA Premium I guess). I would hope that's the case, because I can't imagine how one would otherwise hook in a brake controller into that mass of cabling.

Someone from Canada who installed a hitch and 7-pin for braking, please chime in! (You might want add CANADA to your topic title to get their attention.)

F.S.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FirstSubie, thanks and good idea re topic. They do install, it states 2 hrs Labor. I thought I read somewhere here if you install it yourself the warranty on it is shorter then if they install it. I haven't been to test drive one yet or discuss details. I prefer to figure out their game plan before I arrive and ask pointless questions. But at some point I need to go thru with it. I'm waiting until spring. I have eliminated the pilot, kia sorento and all domestic SUV's. We drove surburban's for years but in canada parking spots are smaller than ever so a large truck gets all dinged up easily or you have to park at the end of the parking lot. Beside they really are too big for what we need nowadays. Also it's only recently we learned that a mid sized suv could tow 5000 Lbs.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi there. I had the dealer do the install of the factory OEM Hitch. My hitch also came with the 6inch drop stinger as a package. Not sure you can order separately. You’d have to ask the parts department at the dealer. On the website it will give you a parts price only; this does not include install. If you want the dealer to install it you could negotiate as part of the overall purchase vs pay them shop rate. Each accessory has a time estimate. The part comes with all the necessary 7 and 4 pin connectors as well as the wiring harness for the brake controller.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.