Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just asked about purchasing the Subaru OEM hitch kit from my local dealer and they told me if I installed it my warranty would be void. Is that an accurate statement? If the parts are installed according to the instructions in STI how is that possible. I know the dealer will warranty the OEM parts for 3Y/36K but that shouldn't affect your factory warranty.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Just asked about purchasing the Subaru OEM hitch kit from my local dealer and they told me if I installed it my warranty would be void. Is that an accurate statement? If the parts are installed according to the instructions in STI how is that possible. I know the dealer will warranty the OEM parts for 3Y/36K but that shouldn't affect your factory warranty.
Please tell me what dealership told you that.

More importantly, please call Subaru of America and tell them too.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Just asked about purchasing the Subaru OEM hitch kit from my local dealer and they told me if I installed it my warranty would be void. I
{expletive} NO!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Personally, I would walk up to the general manager and tell him/her that they should be ashamed of themselves. I often experience or hear about deerskin that think short term profit instead of nurturing respect, confidence, professionism, trust. I believe this way of doing business comes from the very top of the individual dealership organization. It might come overtly or through incentives. It certainly is a lack of quality leadership.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Yes, there are better ways to promote dealer installation services...things like convenience, etc...without making false claims about "warranty".

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I guess that they would not warranty the hitch if the bolts were not torqued and the hitch fell off. Very unlikely. But if you install it per the instructions and there is a manufacturing defect it should definitely be covered by warranty. I agree with the others that trying to bully you into paying them to install it is silly. Unless of course they will install it for free. OK even then it’s silly.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand that improper installation would be not warrantied. But they don't let me go around with my torque wrench and check their bolts for correct tightness etc. I have to trust them that they did it correctly same as they should trust me that I did it correctly. They are also super terrible on their pricing of everything. If you find a dealer with a cheaper price on the part they get all butt hurt. I don't need to buy it from them. I'll just get it from one of the forum vendors that supports the site.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yes, there are better ways to promote dealer installation services...things like convenience, etc...without making false claims about "warranty".
Better, yes. In fact that type of misrepresentation would turn me away from the dealership for all sales and services. How could ll trust them?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I understand that improper installation would be not warrantied. But they don't let me go around with my torque wrench and check their bolts for correct tightness etc. I have to trust them that they did it correctly same as they should trust me that I did it correctly. They are also super terrible on their pricing of everything. If you find a dealer with a cheaper price on the part they get all butt hurt. I don't need to buy it from them. I'll just get it from one of the forum vendors that supports the site.
Talk to my friends at @Liberty Subaru - they're pretty decent on price. ALSO, their service center is STELLAR. They're not too far from you if you are considering dealer installed.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have talked to them about other items. Will definitely keep them in mind. Subaru online parts also offered to ship for free.

Dan over @ Liberty helped me recently. Great guy!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Maybe what they meant was that if something went wrong due a problem with the hitch installation, it would be on them if they did it, and on you if you did it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Accessories dealer installed before delivery are covered for 3yr/60,000km (36,000miles), the day after once the car is in your name, the accessories are only 1yr/20,000km.
The issue of warranty is that if the consumer installed it incorrectly (it can happen, not everyone is handy even though a lot of people here are) and it caused issues related to the improper installation, that may not be covered. The way I like to explain warranty coverage to our customers is as such: "If you install lowering springs and the shocks fail, they will not be covered as the lowered ride height caused the failure because the shock was not designed that way" "If the same car has some engine issues, in no way do the lowering springs have anything to do with the engine issues, therefore coverage is there".

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Accessories dealer installed before delivery are covered for 3yr/60,000km (36,000miles), the day after once the car is in your name, the accessories are only 1yr/20,000km.
The issue of warranty is that if the consumer installed it incorrectly (it can happen, not everyone is handy even though a lot of people here are) and it caused issues related to the improper installation, that may not be covered. The way I like to explain warranty coverage to our customers is as such: "If you install lowering springs and the shocks fail, they will not be covered as the lowered ride height caused the failure because the shock was not designed that way" "If the same car has some engine issues, in no way do the lowering springs have anything to do with the engine issues, therefore coverage is there".
Exactly why the dealer messed up. Installing OEM stuff doesn't void the warranty. Actually, nothing voids the warranty. Certain actions or circumstances cause specific warranty claims to be denied. Installing an OEM hitch thus does not void a warranty at all, and in & of itself, does not cause warranty claims to be denied either. Only improper installation could cause such claims to be denied. The hitch installation is obviously not covered under warranty since it wasn't installed by the dealer or factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is what our local dealership told us, but after some pushback from us, they said if having it on there damages the drivetrain, the warranty is void. Having it on there doesn’t hurt the drive train. Pulling a heavier than rated load trailer damages the CRT drivetrain, and in turn voids the warranty. They might use the presence of a brake controller to assume you pulled too big a trailer with it, but the burden of proof is on them. So they’re dodgy about it, and don’t recommend their use. They told us the tow rating is based on the brakes ability to stop the vehicle at the rated load, but their (sales and maintenance team) poor understanding of their own policy, also at the corporate level, scares people away from fully utilizing their purchase. This is a sport utility vehicle, emphasis on SPORT, after all. Nobody there knows anything about towing beyond installing a trailer hitch and a simple four pin connector.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
They might use the presence of a brake controller to assume you pulled too big a trailer with it,
That's false. You must use a brake controller on any trailer over 1,000 pounds.

They told us the tow rating is based on the brakes ability to stop the vehicle at the rated load
Not quite. See my previous comment.

This is a sport utility vehicle, emphasis on SPORT, after all. Nobody there knows anything about towing beyond installing a trailer hitch and a simple four pin connector.
The Ascent comes with 4 and 7 pin connectors.

they said if having it on there damages the drivetrain, the warranty is void.
Obviously not true.

Pulling a heavier than rated load trailer damages the CRT drivetrain, and in turn voids the warranty.
Kind of. Nothing voids the warranty. It would/can cause drivetrain (and suspension) related claims to be denied, as well as potentially other claims (eg: for body structure).

But, towing isn't a warranty covered activity, anyway. That's mentioned in the owners manuals.

Do you feel like private messaging me the dealership name and the person you spoke to?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,125 Posts
The Ascent OEM hitch is Class III rated so IN THEORY the hardware and chassis attachment points can handle an 8000#/800# load/tongue weight but we all know Subaru only rates the Ascent for 5000/500. For a dealer to prove that an overweight trailer was towed, they'd actually need to see that the hitch or chassis attachments had failed. Unless the owner disclosed the weight that has been towed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts