Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that getting a factory installed hitch has some advantages. The dealers seem to want to install them themselves. Is there a different purchase code for the factory vs dealer installation?

Thanks

·
Registered
646 Posts
I could be entirely wrong but I did not have an option on the hitch to be installed at the factory. Maybe it has changed now as I got one of the earlier cars.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got my hitch installed on my touring from my dealer. I am very happy with the factory vs an aftermarket which would make an extreme difference in ground clearance. The factory hitch is installed above the spare tire. Pretty cool... Does make my bikes sit higher in the back window.... But an excuse to use my fancy video rear view mirror!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had mines dealer installed. No issues. $498.

My only gripe is the design of the hitch cover itself. The bottom tabs that locks the covers in WILL fall off when removing the cover so be careful to catch them. Better yet, remove and keep in safe place so that you will have them to put the cover back on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like the “factory” hitch a lot. But I do think they could have done a much better job designing the clips that hold the cover on. The clips will get lost. Looks like an area ripe for a creative aftermarket idea for now. I plan on removing the clips that the turn fasteners go through every time I have to remove it for the time being. I paid a bunch of moola to have the Suby hitch installed ($591 ?) but it looks great and The wiring is oh so tidy. For that money they should have installed a brake controller though. The wiring harness for that was left in my glove compartment.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm still waiting for my hitch apparently they are on back order till October according to my dealer. So no biking this summer for me.
You, or possibly others in the same boat, may want to see what part number they are trying to get. As there have been 3 hitches so far....
L101SXC000 - which is what I have
L101SXC001 - which adds a few taillight cover panel clips, and shows the part number as L101SXC100 in the instructions
L101SXC002 - havent seen instructions yet for differences

..am not sure if dealers follow the part revision sequence or not.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
After installing two hitches on 2010 Legacy/OB which are identical. Installing one on my 2001 Legacy, my. 1993 Land Cruiser and on a 2002 Toyota Tacoma the Ascent looks insanely easy to install a hitch on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p1AmzIJjERU
The hitch installation looks extremely easy, once you get the bumper off. My sons can remove the front bumper on their WRX/STI in less than 10 minutes.

Be sure to "mute" the video, the sound (I won't call is music) is extremely annoying.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Changes to the clips IIRC.
Hard to believe the dealers had to stop selling them due to some clips and took Subaru several months to get the new kits in-stock. Maybe it was a safety issue.
Hitches started falling behind at version 1. I suspect that demand was seriously underestimated.

·
Registered
927 Posts
5,000 lb towing capacity was why I bought it when I already had a 2017 Outback. The hitch was a must have. Took the 3,500 lb camper up the mountains this weekend with no problems at all. Worked great. Will do a bigger report when back home!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts