Subaru Ascent Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
There is a great pic on one of the threads of a larger cut out that allows the use of chains and access to the lighting wires. I use the hitch for my kayak trailer ofter during the summer. I had a truck hit my back bumper and so I had an extra cover with a small gash in it. I bought a new one for the winter and took the old one and created a summer cover. I used the amazon link for the edge dressing that I had previously found on the forum. Thanks to that poster!! It looked empty without the trailer hitch so I bought a shackle to dress it up...

The hole is square if not viewed at an angle :)

View attachment 4525
This looks great. Came out very clean!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just ordered an OEM hitch and immediately did a search for this exact thing. Came across this image. Does the part exist somewhere?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just ordered an OEM hitch and immediately did a search for this exact thing. Came across this image. Does the part exist somewhere?

View attachment 6853
Are you referring to the Thule bike rack or the hitch cover?? The cover is one that someone has modified and put trim on it... I've see a few while searching who have done it similar to this style... This is the style I'm considering once I get the stock hitch installed...

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
The part in the image does not exist. Only a very few of them were made, and they were used for the promotional pictures. It was an optional accessory, available at the time of pre-order, way back in February 2018, but it was dropped from the accessories list months before orders started shipping.

I am guessing someone was afraid too many people would hook up their trailers and skip the chains that the cover blocked, so, they dropped it. Or they didn't think people would want to run around with two covers. Regardless, yes, it was real, yes it was an option (but dropped before the Ascent's release with zero orders put through), yes, a few were produced for the demo cars, no, they were never mass produced for customers, and no, they were never available to customers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought a spare hitch cover for ours and just cut a small hole since we don’t use the Ascent for towing (just a bike carrier), and put some trim around the hole. Also got a flush hitch plug that rides under the cover, so I could put her half IronMan logo on it. I hate sticking that sort of stuff on paint, so it was the perfect spot since she likes having it on her car.

·
Registered
2020 MGM Touring
2 Posts
Count me as another that took on this simple mod for a Sunday afternoon. Very easy after watching Robert’s and another video. I decided to go a slightly different take with a separate cutout for the 4 pin connector, as I didn’t want to unscrew the plug and fight the tight space there. I primarily use the hitch for a platform on family road trips / Lowes trips, so I’ll just slap this cut out cover on when needed to keep the back looking cleaner.

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,722 Posts
That's a really clean looking solution, atlas'!!

81 - 88 of 88 Posts