Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does anyone have any info on the hitch cover featured in the Subaru Ascent info video produced a few months back?

As the video speaks about towing you can see a different cover that has a notch for the hitch stinger. Since I mainly use a bike rack in the reciver I would prefer this cleaner look.
View attachment 2239

View attachment 2241

What about the light plug and safety chains? Are there holes for those items?

·
Registered
932 Posts
How's the debris/grime inside the bumper cover now that it's been cut?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yes, I know it looks rough, but I don't have time to finish it at the moment.

In short, I purchased a spare cover about a month ago. I do not tow and only want easy access during the summer months when I want to take the bikes places. I wanted a larger like @higherground opening but also wanted to maintain the 4 tab points on the top. It will get it finished at a later date (prob spring 2019), but I wanted to share an inwork design for those who are looking for ideas. I will probably just smooth out the cutout and add some sort of edge seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts

In short, I purchased a spare cover about a month ago. I do not tow and only want easy access during the summer months when I want to take the bikes places. I wanted a larger like @higherground opening but also wanted to maintain the 4 tab points on the top. It will get it finished at a later date (prob spring 2019), but I wanted to share an inwork design for those who are looking for ideas. I will probably just smooth out the cutout and add some sort of edge seal.
I like this very much.

·
Registered
561 Posts

Black Door Edge Guard works wonderful and looks great!!!! I couldn't get the photo to post :-(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
How's the debris/grime inside the bumper cover now that it's been cut?
I drive on forest roads a lot and it’s not bad at all. However winter will be the true test. In my area they scatter a lot of rock on the roads for traction. It tends to get in every crevice on a vehicle.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hitch Access Holes

This is my first attempt to hide some of the mess but allow access to attach the receiver hitch or a hitch tray.

I wanted to be able to access the hitch pin and secure safety chains without having to remove the entire plate. The small clips that you screw the plate to fall out and are a real pain to line up unless you get on your back under the car. Not a pleasant task for a 74 year old with arthritis.

I also wanted access to the light plug. I just cut one hole for the 7-pin port and will use an adapter if I tow a trailer with the flat 4-pin plug.

If this passes my real life use, I'll buy another plate and make one that looks more like it came from the factory (hint, hint).

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thought I'd post this here too, in case it helps somebody....

I just made these access holes to attach my bike rack, which is done very often, and the occasional utility trailer that only requires 4-pin electrical and safety chains.

Easy to do: For the rectangular opening, use a carpenter's square and a hacksaw or utility saw with a hacksaw-type blade. For the round opening, use a drill with a hole saw bit. Sand the edges and finish openings with door edge guard.... it helps to heat the door edge guard with a hair dryer. If you want to get fancy, use a Dremel with cutoff and sanding attachments.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
I cleaned up the hole today, and will install the door edge trim at a later date. I am thinking of going with the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BWKCUAO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A12RLH6P9P7WAM&psc=1

Thoughts?

Since the sun is out, I thought I'd share how it looks on the car even without the trim to finish the look:

Unless you want the "extra" trim, O'Reilly Auto Parts carries it in smaller pieces - if you have one locally. Try and make sure it's for SUV's and larger vehicles. The 3M stuff I ordered online from WalMart.com would not stay on my rear hatch door bottom. It also only had glue along one edge - none in the "seam" - it was a "tape" that you pulled off. So, it wouldn't go around the smallest of curves and I doubted how long it would stay on. It sort of had "ripples" along the hatch door edge, couldn't get it to lay smooth. I returned it and then found the stuff at O'Reilley's

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hitch cover with cut out for stinger

I just received a cover that I planned to cut out, and on the inside is a U shaped scribe. I was able to use it as a cut guide. It wasn't deep enough to use as a guide for my utility knife, but it surely helped.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I just picked up my limited yesterday and it came with a hitch but the cover did not have any cutout. The cover uses two hidden spring screws to hold it in place.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,722 Posts
Reactions: Sigmonster

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did my Hitch Cover Hole today. I'm happy how it turned out. I followed a few suggestions from this thread, thanks guys. Couple of things....
- I bought an additional Hitch Cover from my Local Dealer for about $20 and the Door Edge Trim suggested earlier in this thread on Amazon for about $13
- When deciding on the size of hole, I considered that I mostly use the hitch for a bike rack so I wanted the opening to be just big enough to get my hand in for the pin. When I occasionally tow I will take off the cover to access electrical and chain hook ups. Or maybe I'll eventually modify this cover more.
- Dimensions are 7.75" wide and 3.75" high
- I cut the hole so as to keep some material along the top to just try and maintain a little overall strength
- The pin to my bike rack is ver short, 2.25" vs the locking pin I use for the normal tow hitch which I use a 4.5" pin length. The bike pin I can easily put in and out no problem. I can get the larger pin in and out as well but it takes a little playing with it. If I had to use a pin of this size all the time I would probably make my cut out a couple of inches wider.
- The larger locking pin that I use is great, the lock has a 90 degree right angle so its very easy to access the lock and take it off.
- Tools... Drill to make initial hole, then mostly a jigsaw with a laminate cutting blade. I think a fine metal blade may have worked better. I did initially cut with a sharp utility knife but this was slow going and I had to make continuous cuts bigger and bigger until I got my sizing just right, so the power jigsaw was better. If you know what size you want from the start and cutting only once, maybe go with the utility knife.
- Total time was about an hour, but I move slow and again I had to make multiple cuts. If you know your sizing from the start this is about a 1/2 hour job.

Sorry about the rotated pictures, not sure why it's doing that and can't figure out how to rotate properly on this site. If someone can point me to a link for instructions that would be great. I noticed others having this same issue as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Live in Maine. I would think any hole in the panel would cause the entire hole to fill with snow from driving. Then freeze up to form one chunk of ice. Probably why it’s designed the way it is.

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
Live in Maine. I would think any hole in the panel would cause the entire hole to fill with snow from driving. Then freeze up to form one chunk of ice. Probably why it’s designed the way it is.
Oddly, probably not. When I did the 48hrs of Tristate #SubaruEnthusiasts Charity Drive through the blizzard MLK weekend, I had mine off and my tow hook in. Just about everywhere else got frozen over, but not the opening or hook.

·
Registered
796 Posts
That hitch cover mod came out awesome,if I didn’t know better I would ask ...”is that stock?”

41 - 60 of 88 Posts