Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any info on the hitch cover featured in the Subaru Ascent info video produced a few months back?

As the video speaks about towing you can see a different cover that has a notch for the hitch stinger. Since I mainly use a bike rack in the reciver I would prefer this cleaner look.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive mirror

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does anyone have any info on the hitch cover featured in the Subaru Ascent info video produced a few months back?

As the video speaks about towing you can see a different cover that has a notch for the hitch stinger. Since I mainly use a bike rack in the reciver I would prefer this cleaner look.
View attachment 2239

View attachment 2241
Huh, that's a very interesting couple of screen grabs ... Doesn't seem like it'd be hard to make but I've not seen it in any of the accessory materials ... I did find it interesting that the text on the video says a different hitch cover may be require which makes me think that was a one off, just for the video. Actually, now that I think about it, I doubt they would make it for liability reason. For instance, the video shows them hooking up a trailer. Legally, those chains HAVE to be crossed and attached but it's impossible to do so with that cover on. Yeah, I doubt they'll ever make it because someone will lose their dang trailer and then blame Subaru because that cover hides the holes for attaching the chains ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do remember early videos mentioning this cover... one with a cutout (for the use of bike racks and such) and one that conceals the hitch.

It sounds like they decided to ditch this closer to production?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks Trashfo. Including part number here as well for reference.
57731XC07A hitch cover (no hole)
W140007 plastic twist locks
View attachment 2243

Looks like the panel runs around $15. At that price I may cut my own hole and trim it with some steel reinforced rubber to add a little more strength. Still looking for someone that sells it in small quantities.
View attachment 2245
Not sure what you are thinking for small qty. McMaster-Carr has trims available in lengths down to 10' Maybe someone can buy 10' cut it and sell of pieces to others.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#edge-trim/=1dvranl

The cover in the screen grabs looks better than my idea mentioned in another thread (https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/13-subaru-ascent-pictures/2239-hitch-cover-removed-3.html) where I thought about cutting out a square. My concern was getting the pin in. With the "U" cut out, you can install the pin and then slide this up from the bottom. Much better than what I had thought.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I do remember early videos mentioning this cover... one with a cutout (for the use of bike racks and such) and one that conceals the hitch.

It sounds like they decided to ditch this closer to production?
It's probably because it lacks some level of practicality. You'd have to take off the cover to pull out the pin anyway. Some bike brakes like my Thule has a spring loaded pin arm that catches into place. It is a bit on the wider side, so a cover with such small clearance would require removal prior to the hitch install and then be put back on.

It is interesting they show a trailer with it, since the 7-pin connector isn't attached with the cover. And there really isn't a way to run it underneath without sharp bends. Seems like they made the cover for a marketing video to make the car look "prettier" but show that it can have a hitch.

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
It's probably because it lacks some level of practicality. You'd have to take off the cover to pull out the pin anyway. Some bike brakes like my Thule has a spring loaded pin arm that catches into place. It is a bit on the wider side, so a cover with such small clearance would require removal prior to the hitch install and then be put back on.

It is interesting they show a trailer with it, since the 7-pin connector isn't attached with the cover. And there really isn't a way to run it underneath without sharp bends. Seems like they made the cover for a marketing video to make the car look "prettier" but show that it can have a hitch.
Or the safety chains, which are kinda just wrapped around the trailer piece. lol, I think whoever did the promotional pics didn't quite understand how things get towed. :tango_face_wink: :grin:

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Reactions: kathytn

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
Since the hitch cover is relatively inexpensive I’m debating trimming it to make room for my bike rack and access to the hitch pin.
View attachment 2337
I bought a spare to do the exact same thing. It arrived yesterday. I'll be cutting it this weekend, work and weather permitting.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Instead of cutting out a large space to make access to the hitch pin, cut out a "U" around the hitch. You can install your bike rack/hitch accessory and then slide the hitch cover up from the bottom. There is a photo that shows this from a Subaru marketing video. It shows the cover, not the installation. I am assuming this is how it would be done.

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
We’re you able to find the twist locks when you bought your extra hitch cover? The part number in the diagram was not the part I was looking for.
Alas, no. I'm still waiting on a part number, which I will share if my dealer's parts department can get me one.

Instead of cutting out a large space to make access to the hitch pin, cut out a "U" around the hitch. You can install your bike rack/hitch accessory and then slide the hitch cover up from the bottom. There is a photo that shows this from a Subaru marketing video. It shows the cover, not the installation. I am assuming this is how it would be done.

I plan on doing the U shaped notch, but also a round hole (with bigger, flat top for the door cover) over the 7 pin plug, because I plan on using a cargo carrier that requires 5 pin wiring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cut the hole! First attempt I made a smaller opening thinking I would just take the cover on and off, but after a few bike trips I couldn’t deal with Subaru’s terrible cover clip design anymore. So I widened it large enough that I could get the pin on and off with out removing the cover. Much happier with that version. Especially since I take the rack on and off frequently. I’ll post both pictures for reference.

And yes I realize I cannot plug the trailer wiring in or hook the safety chains up. If I use the hitch for more than a bike rack or cargo basket I plan on removing the cover fully.

Small opening
Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Hood Automotive tire

Larger opening
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Tire
Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Car

·
Registered
561 Posts
Cut the hole! First attempt I made a smaller opening thinking I would just take the cover on and off, but after a few bike trips I couldn’t deal with Subaru’s terrible cover clip design anymore. So I widened it large enough that I could get the pin on and off with out removing the cover. Much happier with that version. Especially since I take the rack on and off frequently. I’ll post both pictures for reference.

And yes I realize I cannot plug the trailer wiring in or hook the safety chains up. If I use the hitch for more than a bike rack or cargo basket I plan on removing the cover fully.

Small opening
View attachment 2447
View attachment 2449

Larger opening
View attachment 2451
View attachment 2453

How easy was it to cut? What did you use? I was thinking about leaving the cover on all the time and put a plug in the end when not in use or maybe buy a hitch step.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts