Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Someone on Facebook asked about how to hide a hitch pin in the spot behind the cover. There's an easy way that accomplishes two things (and I've already been the guinea pig for this as well).

Get one of these. Besides fitting behind the cover, it also locks.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014RS8COG/

As I told them on FB, I will be doing a video showing exactly how much to cut on the spare panels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm adding a hitch to my Ascent (touring) and it looks like i need to replace the bumper cover clips that hold the access panel with screws (part 909140007) with something that looks like a knob in the videos I have seen. I am not finding this in any of the Subaru parts. Anyone have ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2,141 Posts
I'm adding a hitch to my Ascent (touring) and it looks like i need to replace the bumper cover clips that hold the access panel with screws (part 909140007) with something that looks like a knob in the videos I have seen. I am not finding this in any of the Subaru parts. Anyone have ideas?
Are you installing the oem hitch kit? the new clips should be in the box with the rest of the parts

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Ascent with factory receiver hitch and custom cover

View attachment 1286 View attachment 1286
This looks great! I am hoping to replicate it in the near future.

Also, it looks like that’s the Thule T2 XT 2? If so, how are you liking it so far? Any chance you could send a picture with the rack folded up? I wanted to know if the it touches the car at all when folded.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
47 Posts
Damn, both of you - OG cutout and follow-on cutout - looks tight! Love the ideas!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
View attachment 11271
Here is my custom panel. I cut the opening higher than the previous poster so that I can install safety chains and the lighting harness. IMO much better looking than running with the panel entirely removed.
I don't have the car, or a trailer, yet. Does this work to connect the pins part? It looks great. How did you cut the plastic?

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Hi, is this for a trailer? One of the things I don't like about Ascent is how it looks with the cover off. Thanks
My friend makes one that works with towing, by making a bigger opening.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Does your friend make them to sell? Online? I also posted a separate question about this on the towing section after posting this because it got me thinking. Thank you!
Yes. Make sure you tell him you want the cut-outs wide enough to allow hooking up the trailer's power connector and chains.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts