Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone post a couple of shots looking at the rear of Ascent with the Hitch Cover removed, show the receiver and wiring connectors.

Thanks

Stuba

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcoming response to my post.

I did use the search function in the photos forum and it's child forums. The only thread that was found contained the word hitch several times, but no photos.

I appreciate your posting of the link to the post in the technical section under towing. I had viewed those photos and although they do show the hitch area with the cover removed. I was asking for shots that showed the rear of the Ascent with the cover removed, not just the hitch area.

So I am still hoping to get a shot of the vehicle from behind with the hitch cover removed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the posts.

Perfect picture and video. I was hoping it would look a little less obvious there was a cover off to expose the hitch. I'll get used to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I apologize for my repost of a comment and question I made that followed the original posting of the video of the hitch cover removal (totally unaware if I could have provided a link to my post...)

Indeed, easy to remove the panel. However, for those preferring to have the receiver ready for use, the lack of trim (with the panel removed) surrounding the receiver looks quite unfinished when not towing. Does Subaru offer an optional trim panel or trim piece to finish the opening while still exposing the receiver?

·
Registered
89 Posts
However, for those preferring to have the receiver ready for use, the lack of trim (with the panel removed) surrounding the receiver looks quite unfinished when not towing. Does Subaru offer an optional trim panel or trim piece to finish the opening while still exposing the receiver?
I think Subaru's approach was based on towing, where you need the whole panel removed. If you're not towing, but say using a bike rack on the hitch, I agree it would be nice for some extra trim to cover the areas to the sides, but I can see why Subaru didn't go that route. They really hit the 5,000-lb towing bullet point hard in their marketing - I think that's the focus. (And of course, as mentioned, it's so easy to add/remove the panel, that when you go between putting on a trailer/bike rack/etc. and taking it off, replacing that panel is nothing, so I see no scenario where you would have nothing attached to the receiver but not have the panel on.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd get the proper ball mount rise/drop depending on your trailer with a 1" mounting hole, a converta-ball interchangeable hitch ball set with 1" shaft. It would allow you to tow anything on the road. You may have a need to tow a fairly heavy trailer that needed a 2 5/16" ball, but depending on what you had on it it total weight could be under 5000lbs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's pretty easy to take off, anyone worried about it being stolen? I can imagine a scenario in which some punk loses/damages his and jacks one from someone else's vehicle. Is there any way to secure it? Can it be taken off with the rear door closed?

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's pretty easy to take off, anyone worried about it being stolen? I can imagine a scenario in which some punk loses/damages his and jacks one from someone else's vehicle. Is there any way to secure it? Can it be taken off with the rear door closed?
It is not secure even with vehicle locked & could easily be removed by anyone... Options to consider would be:
1. Replacing clips retention system with something lockable?
2. Remove it & drive around with your rear exposed ?
3. Use an insert all the time (ball mount, bike rack, hitch step)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Online Subaru parts vendors have them for sale for $14.60. If someone is being malicious they will probably try to force it off if its locked. Since most of that assembly is plastic your locks might hold, but the plastic tabs won't. I rather have them take the cover than destroy the clip points. For $15.00 it might be worth buying a spare regardless.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If it were me, I would purchase another cover and then cleanly cut out a hole for the hitch receiver to go through and use that for bike racks, hitch racks... Could even go as far as having a 7 pin extension so that the trailer plug is mounted onto the extra cover and has a lead that plugs into the factory 7 pin, or if you only use a 4 pin, mount a 4 pin on the extra cover with a lead to a 7 pin plug.

I would be at least buying another cover for the hitch accessories if we get an Ascent. The back exposed just looks to Raw compared to the rest of the car. I think Subaru could do better regarding the aesthetics to this regard.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
If it were me, I would purchase another cover and then cleanly cut out a hole for the hitch receiver to go through and use that for bike racks, hitch racks... Could even go as far as having a 7 pin extension so that the trailer plug is mounted onto the extra cover and has a lead that plugs into the factory 7 pin, or if you only use a 4 pin, mount a 4 pin on the extra cover with a lead to a 7 pin plug.

I would be at least buying another cover for the hitch accessories if we get an Ascent. The back exposed just looks to Raw compared to the rest of the car. I think Subaru could do better regarding the aesthetics to this regard.
It's Part Number: 57731XC07A. It's apparently only $18.72

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's Part Number: 57731XC07A. It's apparently only $18.72
Thanks for the reply. Excellent price on a part like that. After I posted and looked at the video, it does not look like there would be the depth to add a 7 pin extension but a 4 pin looks like it could work. Now the only other issue would be getting the pin into the receiver. There may not be room to get that in with a cover in place.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Great idea in regard to the bike rack. Def going to consider this

·
Registered
74 Posts

A great idea for bike rack. Extra cover and cut a hole. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Could someone post a couple of shots looking at the rear of Ascent with the Hitch Cover removed, show the receiver and wiring connectors.

Thanks

Stuba
Sure, you can stop by Mike Shaw Subaru in Denver to get a first hand look - someone already helped themselves to the hitch cover off one of the new Ascents in the sales lot. I am expect a prospective customer took it off to look at the hitch, but could not get the cover back on. Hopefully they threw it back in the car.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts