Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard to explain, but owners with hitch cover will easily understand.

There grommets which easily fall out when hitch cover is removed. It's was very difficult to snap cover snaps in place without those grommet falling out.

Any ideas how to make these grommet stay better (zip ties, glue, etc)?

·
Premium Member
565 Posts

There grommets which easily fall out when hitch cover is removed. It's was very difficult to snap cover snaps in place without those grommet falling out.

I think you're the second to point this out.

It'd be great if you could make a video demonstrating the issue. Shoot on your phone and upload to youtube.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yup, i know what you mean. I slid the grommet on with one hand and inserted the locking pin with the other. Definitely clunky and could use an improved mechanism to hold the cover in place.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i recall reading in one of the threads is the thought is that the wrong clips shipped from port thus causing the issue. Think it's in the factory hitch thread?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes - factory hitch.
Yes - I did the same - held with one hand, inserted pin with the other.

I really can't see how different design would make it better. I guess i can shim it with electrical tape, so grommets don't slid so easily

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes - factory hitch.
Yes - I did the same - held with one hand, inserted pin with the other.

I really can't see how different design would make it better. I guess i can shim it with electrical tape, so grommets don't slid so easily
I also shared this in the 'what sux' thread so hopefully SOA will fix it. But yeah, I've removed the hitch cover twice and installed the little grommet / receptacles about 7 times - impressively weak design

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Use a good adhesive caulking that will work on plastic and acrylic shed and sun room roof panels. Pull the clip, put a little in the bottom of the "U" shape, push the clip back into place, let it set and dry before putting the panel on.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Use a good adhesive caulking that will work on plastic and acrylic shed and sun room roof panels. Pull the clip, put a little in the bottom of the "U" shape, push the clip back into place, let it set and dry before putting the panel on.
But then if SOA ever fixes it, it will be difficult (or impossible, depending on adhesive) to remove current grommet.

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts

You'll possibly remember I mentioned that about five minutes after the first one hit the ground here. Not sure which thread that was in.

What you have to do is simply be careful when putting the cover back on for now. Take your time, pull the cover out a little at the bottom where the latch screws go on, then reach up underneath to make sure the clips are in position. Then simply spin the latch screws until they line up - they'll only go in one way - and tighten. Or you roll onto your back, lay down, and reach up there to make sure they're in place. Or you just pull the cover off and leave it off.

Subaru is aware of the issue with those grommets, there was a QMR started again, about five minutes after the first one hit the ground here (I know, my service tech was bombarded with e-mails from Subaru about it). There will probably be a redesign and a fix issued at some point, but it will take time for them to figure it out.

So honestly, just don't slam it back into place and pull out a little on the bottom so the pointy part of the screws don't know those grommets off, and it'll work fine.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
But then if SOA ever fixes it, it will be difficult (or impossible, depending on adhesive) to remove current grommet.
That's the best part about most adhesive caulk. It's not permanent and can "peel" off. I have many different types in my workshop. I will find which one is the most suitable this weekend, if people are interested. Some of the roof stuff is a bit more difficult to remove, but does come off.

Generally, a good black bathroom or windows and doors caulk should work as well:

To make life easy in finding which is best, I'd just go with that. I've used it to seal the plastic 3rd brake light to the mini-spoiler on my 2010 Outback, and I've peeled it off and done it again when needed. It grips very good, but does peel off if needed.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'd be curious to read up on the TSB's about the Ascent, if anyone has STIS access.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
@Carl Abrams:

Carl, if/when Subaru issues TSB with the fix, how will current owners be notified that fix is available ?
Via MySubaru, email and regular mail. As well as by your dealer when you bring in the car for service (assuming it wasn't taken care of before one of your regular service trips).

It's very painless, and one of the things I like about Subaru is they are very proactive on notifying owners about TSBs, big and small.

Go here:
https://www.mysubaru.com/recall/recallHome.html

It looks like this

AS A MATTER OF FACT...
Subaru actually even reminds owners to check the recall information for their cars via Facebook posts a few times a year, and has a very public link for them to do so - they're very big on people having their cars serviced for any sort of TSB or recall.

It's one of the things I love about them. Recalls and TSBs aren't buried. They use multiple different methods to make sure we're aware, including any decent Subaru service center, which will check every time you bring your car in, and they actively remind people via social media to check.

https://www.facebook.com/subaruofamerica/posts/10154171050681689

https://www.facebook.com/subaruofamerica/posts/10154247571346689

https://www.facebook.com/subaruofamerica/posts/10153924738446689

https://www.facebook.com/subaruofamerica/posts/10154093307851689

https://www.facebook.com/subaruofamerica/posts/10153771652416689

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Via MySubaru, email and regular mail. As well as by your dealer when you bring in the car for service (assuming it wasn't taken care of before one of your regular service trips).

It's very painless, and one of the things I like about Subaru is they are very proactive on notifying owners about TSBs, big and small.
While I have had generally good experiences with Subaru service depts in the past, they have not been pro-active with me on TSBs, unless it involves a recall. In fact ,the service advisor specifically told me he could not give me TSBs outstanding about my car. I did not ask why, but could understand the possible confusion with some customers that could create.

So I am surprised to hear you say here, that you say they are pro-active about notifying customers on TSBs.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
While I have had generally good experiences with Subaru service depts in the past, they have not been pro-active with me on TSBs, unless it involves a recall. In fact ,the service advisor specifically told me he could not give me TSBs outstanding about my car. I did not ask why, but could understand the possible confusion with some customers that could create.

So I am surprised to hear you say here, that you say they are pro-active about notifying customers on TSBs.
After thinking about it, I edited and clarified.

They use multiple different methods to make sure we're aware, including any decent Subaru service center
(emphasis added)

Yes, my dealers are all very proactive. But, I should note that the five dealerships (out of 28 in the metro area that I know of) that I interact with were chosen by me because of reports of stellar service and stellar salespeople.

So, yes, sadly, that may not be everyone's experiences. To that end, hopefully the MySubaru link, as well as the link SoA regularly posts on Facebook, will help those with less proactive dealer service centers. :sad:

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Can anyone make a video showing/demonstrating this issue though? For awareness :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
No video but here are some photos. The "clips" slide onto the bumper fascia and the spring loaded, quarter-turn retaining screw on the cover attach to them.

When placing the cover back on, the retaining screws on the cover often catch the "clips" and slide them off the bumper fascia.

I hope these photos help. I'm not sure how I would shoot a video to illustrate this.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 93 Posts