Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
So my dealer is saying that my dealer installed Subaru Ascent trailer hitch does not come with the ball mount (aka drop hitch receiver) does not come with OEM trailer hitch. Another dealer say it does. The picture of the accessory trailer hitch shows the ball mount. Anyone know for sure if the ball mount comes with the new trailer hitch?

·
Registered
130 Posts
So my dealer is saying that my dealer installed Subaru Ascent trailer hitch does not come with the ball mount (aka drop hitch receiver) does not come with OEM trailer hitch. Another dealer say it does. The picture of the accessory trailer hitch shows the ball mount. Anyone know for sure if the ball mount comes with the new trailer hitch?
My Dealer said it does not come with it. But they are going to get me one because I ordered before the change.It has been on backorder since 13 July when I picked up my 2020. Went in yesterday and they still have no idea when they will be available.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
The 6" drop ball mount came with the OEM hitch receiver for MY19, but does not come with it on the MY20. That may be part of the confusion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the last of the 2019s Limited Ascents. So either 1) the switch over for the ball mount changed with the part year and i missed getting the ball mount or 2) they are saying that it doesn't come with it but it did and they robbed Seamus to pay Paul. Seems pretty confusing. The salesman is offering to fill my gas tank to "make it right". A love my new Ascent. It is sad that it is tainted with this purchase process.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
If you have a MY19, the OEM hitch kit should have come with the 6" drop ball mount and it's a very nice unit...worth much more than just a tank of gas for one of equivalent quality and heft. The typical off-the-shelf ball mounts in box stores are chincy compared to the OEM Subaru product I received with my MY19. So in my mind...making it right means providing you with the part and of the same quality as you should have received. IMHO.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
The hitch kit changed before the 2019 MY stopped selling. Revision 4 (5th version) does not include it.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Reactions: ChuckKaty1

·
Registered
221 Posts
When I bought the hitch kit from subaru parts they told me that they don't stock the factory ball mounts because most people just buy a standard one on amazon for less than $20 and nobody wants the $180 subaru ball. I myself went with an adjustable height ball mount so I can tow different things easily, but that was still around $80, far cheaper than the fixed subaru ball.

I'm a huge fan of the factory hitch receiver, but the ball is just some solid metal bits and the industry standard parts are just fine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The ball mount that came along with my MY2019 towing hitch option is very nice quality. It also is an appropriate drop height for many standard tows (if there is such a standard), like my friend's 17' trailer and the whole set of cargo trailers available from U-Haul. I did buy an additional ball mount with a 2" drop, for taller trailers like one I rented, but the original ball mount is very nice to have in the mix.

If I bought an adjustable height ball mount, then I wouldn't need fixed height mounts including the original Subaru. But I haven't, so I do.

F.S.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
The ball mount that came along with my MY2019 towing hitch option is very nice quality. It also is an appropriate drop height for many standard tows
Yes, I agree...it's a high quality product and I'm sad that folks don't receive it with new vehicles anymore, although to be fair, that's pretty much the same with every manufacturer. I was actually surprised when it came with my MY19 Ascent for that reason!

Reactions: FirstSubie

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Did not get one when the dealer installed the hitch on mine. Now it will be impossible comply with the owners manual, which states,"Use only the ball mount supplied with this hitch."

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Did not get one when the dealer installed the hitch on mine. Now it will be impossible comply with the owners manual, which states,"Use only the ball mount supplied with this hitch."
They took them out of the package for M20. It was a more or less standard, high quality 6" drop ball mount. No worries to acquire a quality third party one. :) Just avoid junky products.

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
I feel your pain. In my job high value is placed on strict procedural compliance. I recommend you stop driving your Ascent, hold a meeting, and determine the root cause of this procedural failure. Do not drive it again until corrective actions have been determined, implemented and documented! ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.