Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a potential buyer. This is a newbie question. I want to attach a cargo tray at the back (likely one that can hold bikes if needed). I can’t figure which accessories I need to be able to do this. Just the tray or a trailer hitch and tray ? Is the hitch different from the hitch receiver (which comes with the car ? ) .

·
Registered
270 Posts
Also, Subaru has a Cargo Tray which is the rubber floor mat for the rear of the cargo area.

I believe the hitch does not come stock with the Ascent, it’s an add on.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If you want to mount a "tray" for bikes or anything else, you will need the trailer hitch (the manufactured installed hitch is preferable than you installing after market unless the dealer does the Subie hitch). ATX is correct the trailer hitch is not standard.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
The hitch receiver is the part that's "permanent" mounted to the vehicle. For towing, a ball mount is locked into the receiver with a hitch pin. For devices like bike racks and carriers, they also slide into the hitch receiver and get locked in place with an appropriate hitch pin. As has been recommended "a whole bunch", the OEM towing receiver is the cleanest way to go and it's also crash tested by Subaru. Multiple threads on that in the Towing discussion section and multiple threads on receiver mounted carriers in the Accessories discussion area.

Reactions: Andy1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all. @Jim_in_PA, thanks for answering my exact question -- my confusion stemmed from the fact the accessory list on the Ascent build page says "trailer hitch" with the picture of the ball mount, and not the receiver. Sounds like they should call it the "hitch receiver".

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Thank you all. @Jim_in_PA, thanks for answering my exact question -- my confusion stemmed from the fact the accessory list on the Ascent build page says "trailer hitch" with the picture of the ball mount, and not the receiver. Sounds like they should call it the "hitch receiver".
I don't think the word "trailer hitch" need a word modifier. However, in order for anybody to call it a trailer hitch, the component must be ready to receive a trailer. The OEM trailer hitch kit that everybody on here got do not have the ball, and it's needed because I think 99.9% of the people hauling trailers uses the ball-type hitch. So what Subaru called it is almost correct.

I'm not certain why Subaru did not at least offer a size hitch ball (i.e. 2", the most common size), but it's likely a decision stemmed from either technical or legal aspect. The ball is the critical component because it observes a lot of dynamic loads, resulting damages, and potential user errors. I bet it stemmed more from legal matter. If I was a business owner, I would try to eliminate any entanglement from the law as much as possible. In order to do that, eliminate the $10-20 ball and make the owner buy one.

I wonder if all (or most) Subaru dealers sell the hitch ball.

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
What Subaru did that is unusual is include the (excellent) 6" drop ball mount with the hitch receiver as part of the option...but yes, the "ball" is on the buyer which makes sense since there are three different commonly used ball sizes with 2" and 2 5/16" being the most used in that order for this general towing capability.

Reactions: Shredmo

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
What Subaru did that is unusual is include the (excellent) 6" drop ball mount with the hitch receiver as part of the option...but yes, the "ball" is on the buyer which makes sense since there are three different commonly used ball sizes with 2" and 2 5/16" being the most used in that order for this general towing capability.
Are you saying that Subaru shouldn't have included that? My previous SUV was the same, it does not have the ball.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have purchased vehicles with hitch installed from factory, never came with ball mount. Purchased an after market hitch, did not come with ball mount. I think it is great that the Ascent hitch comes with one.

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
Are you saying that Subaru shouldn't have included that? My previous SUV was the same, it does not have the ball.
Not at all...it was a very unusual bonus for that high quality ball mount to be provided by Subaru. And something of similar quality wouldn't be bought at the local home center or other typical venue. It's heavy duty and well made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are cargo trays that do not require the ball mount, correct ? That's what I am planning to use the hitch receiver with, not necessarily for a trailer (at least at this point).

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
Cargo trays do not use the ball mount...they "mount" into the hitch receiver just like the ball mount would... ;) IE, you need the hitch receiver on the vehicle to use them. Sorry that the divergence around the ball mount included with the OEM hitch option got things confusing.

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am a potential buyer. This is a newbie question. I want to attach a cargo tray at the back (likely one that can hold bikes if needed). I can’t figure which accessories I need to be able to do this. Just the tray or a trailer hitch and tray ? Is the hitch different from the hitch receiver (which comes with the car ? ) .
Either Google Aluminum cargo baskets or go to Discount Ramps or E-Trailer . com. You will find many good, light cargo baskets that will slide right into your 2" hitch. Some as light as 30 lbs...

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
My aluminum basket came from Northern Tool. Even Harbor Freight has one.

Reactions: Sigmonster

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am following up on this as I go through the car buying process. Does anyone have a recommendation for a tray that will hold two adult and one kid bike ? It would be great if it can swing out to give access but not necessary.

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
I am following up on this as I go through the car buying process. Does anyone have a recommendation for a tray that will hold two adult and one kid bike ? It would be great if it can swing out to give access but not necessary.
There are lots of threads in the Accessories forum area that discuss bike carriers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts