Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I noticed a hissing sound coming from the rear of my vehicle. It sounds the same on either side. It sounds like someone is using a can of spray paint. Its not a constant hiss but starts and stops like someone is spray painting letting go then on again.

Would anyone know what this is.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do you hear it when you come home, park and turn off your Ascent. If so then that is normal, I believe. I forgot the mechanical process that is taking place, but Robert.Mauro the moderator or another member can explain. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. I hear it with the engine still on. I’ll put it in park and walk back over to the rear wheels and hear the hiss hiss hisss hiss. Ill turn the engine off and everything is silent.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi. I hear it with the engine still on. I’ll put it in park and walk back over to the rear wheels and hear the hiss hiss hisss hiss. Ill turn the engine off and everything is silent.
Not to worry. There are lots of very nice and experienced members on this forum. Most are probably sleeping now, but by tomorrow I'm sure you will have a lot of help in determining what is happening. Stay tuned! :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
The normal hiss happens 8-10 hours after the car is shut off. There's a process that purges the catalytic converter. Worried me like crazy first time I heard it until I googled and found out what it was.

Since this happens while the car is running and stops when it is shut off, that sounds more like a pinhole in the exhaust system. I'd have it checked out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm. I noticed that I hear a sound like fluid running through a line as soon I press the ignition button before the engine even turns on. I hear it for a few seconds right before the engine turns over. Once the engine starts and is idling, I hear the same noise but only sputtering. It stops sputtering and goes strong when giving it more gas.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Hmm. I noticed that I hear a sound like fluid running through a line as soon I press the ignition button before the engine even turns on. I hear it for a few seconds right before the engine turns over. Once the engine starts and is idling, I hear the same noise but only sputtering. It stops sputtering and goes strong when giving it more gas.
Do you have the air conditioner on? There's a rear drain and tube in the back that could "hiss" and sputter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have the air conditioner on? There's a rear drain and tube in the back that could "hiss" and sputter.
I have at least the vent on set to blow over top of dash all the time. Will it continue hissing and sputtering once the engine turns off or will it stop? It goes silent once I turn off the engine.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Can you videotape it?

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Does anyone use tape anymore? ? ?
You know, I've been wondering when that term will finally fade into antiquity...

...and yeah, I'm old, lol ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi. I noticed a hissing sound coming from the rear of my vehicle. It sounds the same on either side. It sounds like someone is using a can of spray paint. Its not a constant hiss but starts and stops like someone is spray painting letting go then on again.

Would anyone know what this is.
Snakes why is it always snakes! ?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Snakes why is it always snakes! ?
Perfectly normal. It's mentioned in the first couple of pages of the manual and can happen up to 10 hours later. I forget what it's called. (fuel vap system check??) Glad I read about it first. I heard it in the evening as I checked to make sure the garage door was closed before going to bed. This was about 5 hours after turning it off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm glad i read this. I have the same concern although it sounds more like a small air compressor or electric pump. Ill have to dig through manual. I notice if turn the vehicle on and off, or even set to accessory, the noise stops. Is this the same thing?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts