Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any hints, or tool recommendations, to allow for an easier connector removal from the brake unit?

While I've mounted my Prodigy P3 on a second fusebox door, I've not done the wiring harness yet. I'm trying to figure out how to release the connector from the brake unit more easily, without having to loosen the mount to get at the connector with a small screwdriver to lift the tab on the connector while pulling outward.

Any hints, or possibly other tools to use, would be much appreciated.

Right now I'm at kind of an impasse.

Ken

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Does anyone have any hints, or tool recommendations, to allow for an easier connector removal from the brake unit?

While I've mounted my Prodigy P3 on a second fusebox door, I've not done the wiring harness yet. I'm trying to figure out how to release the connector from the brake unit more easily, without having to loosen the mount to get at the connector with a small screwdriver to lift the tab on the connector while pulling outward.

Ken
I use the detachable mount, which then allows you easier access to the top of the connector that has the locking tab after popping the P3 out of the bracket - an advantage of the detachable mount versus the other mounting bracket. I guess you could break the locking tab off and hope that the connection fit is tight enough to hold the connection, but I'm not recommending that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I was thinking about using the detachable mount and doing just that. That does sound viable.

Since I am planning on using Anderson Power Poles to connect the brake's harness with the connector to the Subaru supplied harness, I'm also thinking of making a four block connector on each end of the wires. The connector could be reached under the dash, and then the Tekonsha harness would stay connected to the controller and fusebox cover.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's connected

I decided to use the Anderson Power Poles and create the connector for detaching the controller.
The 1st two photos show the connector 'block' I made using the APPs.
The bad photo, the third one, attempts to show the connection under the dash.
When the 'brake/fusebox cover' is not in place, the APP block connector, attached to the Subaru connector, tucks in under the dash and rests on top of the OBD II connector.
The forth photo shows the brake controller 'turned on'.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah it's a pain. I pull the fuse box hatch off with the P3 mounted to it (large bracket), tilt the unit so the rear is away from the hatch as possible, and I can get my index finger over the release. If I the pull up on the release and yank the plug off in one fell swoop, I will take off my fingernail!

So instead, I pull up on the release a little and work the plug a little loose. As it hits the release (since it's not fully pulled up), I pull the release up a smidge more. Work the plug a little more to the stop. Pull up release a little more. Eventually the plug releases gently.

F.S.

·
Registered
927 Posts

Ken
I'm curious why you need to release it regularly? I just keep mine mounted all the time.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm curious why you need to release it regularly? I just keep mine mounted all the time.
For ME it is just a personal preference. I won't be towing the vast majority of the time, so I did not want the P3 just setting there, plugged in and drawing power for awhile.

I purchased the extra fusebox cover to make the unit easily removable. I'll be storing it in the house when not in use. I couldn't get the Tekonsha plug out easily and it involved also backing out the screws through the mount into the controller some to get at it.

I wanted an easy way to plug and unplug the unit, when I do want to use it, and the APP connectors were MY solution.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I've had my Tekonsha hooked up constantly for 8 years now. Never had a problem! :D

(It does go into sleep mode after a while, so very very low power draw).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
I've owned the P3 for about 7 years now and it never caused any electrical concerns for me at all. It does "go to sleep" when it realizes there is either no trailer attached or the tow vehicle is turned off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts