Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m on the fence about going with Package 23. I like the idea of the HK Speaker Package but am not so sure about the panoramic moonroof. Is one or the other (or both) worth the $2500 upgrade?

FWIW ... If I went with Package 21, I’d upgrade the speakers at some point. How would that sound compared to the 14-speaker HK?

For those that got it, would you do it again? For those that went Package 21, what would you do if you could do it all over again?

·
Administrator
11,125 Posts
I’m on the fence about going with Package 23. I like the idea of the HK Speaker Package but am not so sure about the panoramic moonroof. Is one or the other (or both) worth the $2500 upgrade?

FWIW ... If I went with Package 21, I’d upgrade the speakers at some point. How would that sound compared to the 14-speaker HK?

For those that got it, would you do it again? For those that went Package 21, what would you do if you could do it all over again?
I got a Touring, so, that came with the HK and the moonroof, and I am thrilled with that choice (regardless of trim, I intended on getting both).

YMMV

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I didn't want the pano roof or NAV, but would have taken the HK audio - just not for $3k or whatever the upcharge is. Like Firehunter I also have 21 and the RF audio upgrade that I self-installed for $350.

I wasn't on the fence as I was heavily leaning toward pkg 21. If you truly are on the fence and plan to keep the Ascent long-term, I'd probably just go for it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the RF upgrade worth it? Better to upgrade speakers at a later date?

·
Registered
96 Posts
23 for me.
I absolutely had to have hardware GPS mapping and best possible stereo. (Ya just can't upgrade car stereos like you could in the good ol' days).
I didn't want a big moonroof, since my previous moonrooves allowed too much sun in and I kept them closed. When I read that the Ascent blocked 100% of UV, I relented and figured I'd never use it..
Now I keep the moonroof open every minute- it's great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a moonroof in the Forester I traded in. My wife closed it every time she got in the car and I was pretty neutral on it. Certainly not worth $2500 to me. And I don't care enough about the audio system for that to play into things. It was a pretty easy decision to skip the moonroof this time.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If you like a moonroof to begin with, then the pano option is worth every penny.

If you don't like or use the moonroof, I would wager that the pano option would not change your thinking. ;) Might as well save the money.

If you start to look at a 7-passenger Limited with Package 23, it's time to also consider the Touring. Until Subaru decides to add the front camera, smart inside rearview, and the ventilated seats as à la carte options, the jump in price for these rather nifty conveniences may be worth it, depending on your outlook and budget.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you start to look at a 7-passenger Limited with Package 23, it's time to also consider the Touring. Until Subaru decides to add the front camera, smart inside rearview, and the ventilated seats as à la carte options, the jump in price for these rather nifty conveniences may be worth it, depending on your outlook and budget.
The tech options are great but I’m not a fan of the Java Brown at all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Limited with RF upgrade has been perfect for this podcast listener.

I'd have taken a simple moonroof or two--just to pop open for venting, but the pano's roller blind just seemed so bizarre to me.

Do wish I had the Touring's front camera, but not enough to give up the ivory interior and second-row bench.

·
Administrator
11,125 Posts
That was my deciding factor as well.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Some dealers will charge for parts ($499) and labor (2-3 hours @ $1xx/hr) to install the RF upgrade. If they do, then it is completely not worth it.

For what I paid I think it was worth it considering a decent set of 6x9s would be at least $120, then an amp is a couple hundred more. Then you'd need wiring and speaker adapters, etc. The RF upgrade also claims to do some signal processing, so for $350 I found it completely worth it. The wiring harness is beautiful and obviously OEM quality. I happened to also upgrade the rear speakers to similar level RF coaxials but don't really use them. I always have the fader 100% to the front speakers so that it doesn't intefere with whatever my daughter is listening to back there. The difference in sound may be subtle, but the RF is better than the standard system in both clarity and bass response. These 6x9s can shake your mirrors with the right song. I do miss having a a proper subwoofer (by proper I don't mean the HK system), but the opportunities for me to enjoy music that way are very limited these days.

If you ultimately want to add a real subwoofer, then I'd hold off on the RF upgrade and use a good 4 channel LOC to a 5-channel amp, with some good components up front, some coaxials in the back, and a sub in the rear storage area. The radio rolls off bass as the volume goes up. Some LOCs (like the Audio Control ones) claim to remedy this. Or you can go full DSP and the sky is the limit... This is why I settled on the RF upgrade. I am no longer interested in chasing audio perfection in my car, although I still have an amp and JL microsub to install if I ever want to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wanted the moon-roof very, very badly.

I was hopeful this could be an add on to the premium trim by itself. Unfortunately, it comes with NAV, and 20' wheels as well as a 3500$ upgrade ticket. Just couldn't bite the bullet on that, I felt like that additional cost would kinda hurt the overall value I felt I was getting on the premium 7 passenger.

Skipped the moon-roof. Went 7 passenger 21 package premium trim. Heated seats/mirrors, dim mirror, all weather mats, bumper cover, few other goodies (tow hitch). This, IMO is a very nice package for the money.

Really wish I could add the moon-roof for $1500 though!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some dealers will charge for parts ($499) and labor (2-3 hours @ $1xx/hr) to install the RF upgrade. If they do, then it is completely not worth it.

For what I paid I think it was worth it considering a decent set of 6x9s would be at least $120, then an amp is a couple hundred more. Then you'd need wiring and speaker adapters, etc. The RF upgrade also claims to do some signal processing, so for $350 I found it completely worth it. The wiring harness is beautiful and obviously OEM quality. I happened to also upgrade the rear speakers to similar level RF coaxials but don't really use them. I always have the fader 100% to the front speakers so that it doesn't intefere with whatever my daughter is listening to back there. The difference in sound may be subtle, but the RF is better than the standard system in both clarity and bass response. These 6x9s can shake your mirrors with the right song. I do miss having a a proper subwoofer (by proper I don't mean the HK system), but the opportunities for me to enjoy music that way are very limited these days.

If you ultimately want to add a real subwoofer, then I'd hold off on the RF upgrade and use a good 4 channel LOC to a 5-channel amp, with some good components up front, some coaxials in the back, and a sub in the rear storage area. The radio rolls off bass as the volume goes up. Some LOCs (like the Audio Control ones) claim to remedy this. Or you can go full DSP and the sky is the limit... This is why I settled on the RF upgrade. I am no longer interested in chasing audio perfection in my car, although I still have an amp and JL microsub to install if I ever want to.
I’m not an audiophile and not into playing super loud music with a big bass. I just want something. That sounds good.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
96 Posts
...the pano option would not change your thinking. ;) Might as well save the money.

Sure changed my mind on the big moonroof.
I really liked the leather color on the touring, but the Touring was $3,700 more.
I guess that's why cars are still built with many levels and options.

·
Registered
771 Posts

In that case, unless you really have a use for the roof and onboard nav, I would go with the lower-cost option level.

My wife is not a moonroof user pretty much all year, but when she does want it, she *really* wants it, so all of her vehicles for the last....forever? :eek::dunno::smile_big:....have had roofs. Her '05 WRX somehow arrived without a roof, and our dealership cut a Webasto in for her, at no cost to us. Seriously, she uses it only, like, a dozen times a year, but man does she WANT it. :smile_big:

I have had vehicles both with and without. I prefer with, but it won't kill me....there's times when having a darker, more closed-off interior just makes things feel better, be it super-hot or super-cold outside.

I drove most of the time with my moonroof's sunshade peeled back in my '05 LGT. My '13 Tribeca didn't have a roof (I went full-stripper mode with that one! :smile_big:). In my '16 OB, I either had the moonroof open or, when it was closed, I had the sun-shade closed, too.

I've only had my Ascent for about 7 weeks. I'd say I've had the sunshade peeled back on the pano roof probably 90% of the time.

But yes, that Java interior is polarizing. I totally understand.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you like a moonroof to begin with, then the pano option is worth every penny.

If you don't like or use the moonroof, I would wager that the pano option would not change your thinking. ;) Might as well save the money.

That was why we went with the Limited vs the Touring. My wife (who the car was for) took one look at the Java Brown and it was a deal breaker for her.

Luckily we were able to find a White Ascent in the Limited with the Package 23 that she liked in a short timeframe due to insurance totaling out another vehicle, and we went with it. Lost my ability to really negotiate due to such low availability in a short timeframe when we bought, but worked out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts