Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tested the ascent today. I noticed the the brakes were still clamping down on the rotors when I released the brake pedal. It released when I pressed on the gas. Is this common to any other models? It felt like it was the hill assist (I was on flat ground). Has anyone experienced this when they test drove the ascent?

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
My 2010 Outback does that, and will hold for a couple seconds.

It's not the normal working mode of the hill hold assist system. The Subarus have dual brakes in the rear. The outer and obvious disc/caliper/rotor setup, as well as an inner drum brake. Hill assist and parking brake are electronically controlled, electric-motor drum brakes inside of the rotor.

It's the reason why the rear rotor assembly is so meaty beyond the wheel studs:

Here, you can see the inner drum brakes used by hill assist and for parking brakes:

What you're feeling is the hydraulic disc brakes. Whether it's a different part of hill assist that's not advertised, or simply how the driving brakes work, I don't know. But it's not the hill assist/parking brake assembly (the drum brakes).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tested the ascent today. I noticed the the brakes were still clamping down on the rotors when I released the brake pedal. It released when I pressed on the gas. Is this common to any other models? It felt like it was the hill assist (I was on flat ground). Has anyone experienced this when they test drove the ascent?
AVH - Auto Vehicle Hold?

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
AVH - Auto Vehicle Hold?
"The AVH feature replaces the Hill Holder and Hill Start Assist functions and offers greater functionality, holding the vehicle on all road grades, not only inclines. For example, AVH can help reduce driver fatigue by holding the car at traffic lights, and then can seamlessly transition to acceleration"
So, is that a new/different system or a combined system that uses the hydraulic system for it, or further use of the parking brake?

...alas, it doesn't explain the behavior of my 2010 Outback - but neither can anyone else to date, lol.

·
Registered
598 Posts
AVH is new for 2018 models and up that have an electronic parking brake. It uses the parking brake in a less than fully engaged application. It when turned on by pressing the AVH button when you come to a complete stop regardless of grade and press down fully on the brake pedal (once stopped) you engage AVH and the car will 'hold' in place with your foot off the brake (brake lights remain on). To disengage simply press the gas pedal as normal to accelerate. Or you can press the brake pedal again deeply or press the button to turn it off completely. I use this feature daily on my commute - i wasn't sold on its use but it's one of my favorite features now.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
AVH is new for 2018 models and up that have an electronic parking brake. It uses the parking brake in a less than fully engaged application. It when turned on by pressing the AVH button when you come to a complete stop regardless of grade and press down fully on the brake pedal (once stopped) you engage AVH and the car will 'hold' in place with your foot off the brake (brake lights remain on). To disengage simply press the gas pedal as normal to accelerate. Or you can press the brake pedal again deeply or press the button to turn it off completely. I use this feature daily on my commute - i wasn't sold on its use but it's one of my favorite features now.
It stays on, right? What I mean is that Hill Hold on the 2010 Outback would reset every time I turned the car on, and I'd have to turn it back on, but I seem to vaguely remember it coming on automatically each new time I started the 2018 Outback I borrowed (once I'd turned it on once, the first time).

·
Registered
598 Posts
It stays on, right? What I mean is that Hill Hold on the 2010 Outback would reset every time I turned the car on, and I'd have to turn it back on, but I seem to vaguely remember it coming on automatically each new time I started the 2018 Outback I borrowed (once I'd turned it on once, the first time).
On my car (WRX) I have to turn it on everytime i start the car. it may be different for other models as yesterday when i drove the ascent it was on when i started it. so it must remain in the state you set it when turning off on newer/updated models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts