Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tested the ascent today. I noticed the the brakes calipers were still clamping down on the rotors when I released the brake pedal. It released when I pressed on the gas. Is this common to any other models? It felt like it was the hill assist (I was on flat ground). Has anyone experienced this when they test drove the ascent?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I wonder if that has to do with ACC. When you come to a stop with ACC (after 3 seconds), you don't want the car to creep ahead on you without your input.
They are 2 independent systems. If you are using ACC the car stops and hold using ACC. This happens if AVH is turned on or not. If you are driving 'manually' without ACC and come to a stop with AVH turned on, that systems holds the car in place without your feet on the pedals.

I hope that makes sense. I should make a video because i had these same questions when I got my 2018 with these features and wasnt sure how they'd all work together. Needless to say I am very satisfied with their functionality and how they work together/independently from each other. It was well thought out by Subaru.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It might also be required for the "future" start/stop econo feature.
Very likely that will be something that gets added to even more vehicles as manufacturers try to squeeze the last 0.1 MPG of fuel efficiency.

-- my recommendation to them is to get rid of that horrible EGR system that deliberately cripples engine performance (my personal grievance) --

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I can see this feature being helpful in my area (LA). I wanted to make sure it was a feature and not something faulty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They are 2 independent systems. If you are using ACC the car stops and hold using ACC. This happens if AVH is turned on or not. If you are driving 'manually' without ACC and come to a stop with AVH turned on, that systems holds the car in place without your feet on the pedals.

I hope that makes sense. I should make a video because i had these same questions when I got my 2018 with these features and wasnt sure how they'd all work together. Needless to say I am very satisfied with their functionality and how they work together/independently from each other. It was well thought out by Subaru.
The Ascent is meant to be driven long distances. This feature is designed to reduce fatigue by holding the vehicle and trailer at long stops such as at red lights or construction zones. It's not designed for the ACC necessarily. The next generation ACC will have this as an integral function, though. Why? Because it is going to have automatic full-stop and resume capability for traffic jams. It's a few years away yet but Ascent owners are getting a glimpse of the technology.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts