Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my premium Ascent w moonroof out for its first longer road trip and I noticed that above 50 mph I am hearing a higher pitched wind noise sound(as if there is a bad seal or something) emanating form the front passenger side near the windshield. I can't pinpoint it exactly but it isn't like normal road noise and it is annoying if I'm not playing the radio quite loud. This bums me out especially because I got this car primarily for longer road trips. I've contacted the dealer but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I've seen some threads about a lower pitched noise but this is definitely not that. Thanks for any info!!!

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Do you have roof rails installed?

I just took my premium Ascent w moonroof out for its first longer road trip and I noticed that above 50 mph I am hearing a higher pitched wind noise sound(as if there is a bad seal or something) emanating form the front passenger side near the windshield. I can't pinpoint it exactly but it isn't like normal road noise and it is annoying if I'm not playing the radio quite loud. This bums me out especially because I got this car primarily for longer road trips. I've contacted the dealer but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I've seen some threads about a lower pitched noise but this is definitely not that. Thanks for any info!!!
If you have roof cross bars on, make sure they are installed in the correct direction. The THIN edge faces the rear of the car, and the thick edge faces the front. I've seen dozens of them installed backwards in just the last month of looking at passing cars.

If not, then look for a piece of shipping wrap that may not have been removed. It also will make a high pitched whistling noise at highway speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no extra shipping wrap but I did find a small leaf lodged in between the windshield and the rubber seal on the passenger side edge. Maybe this could be it. I will feel very stupid if it is. I am an audio engineer and this is driving me crazy ha. I will test and report back.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
no extra shipping wrap but I did find a small leaf lodged in between the windshield and the rubber seal on the passenger side edge. Maybe this could be it. I will feel very stupid if it is. I am an audio engineer and this is driving me crazy ha. I will test and report back.
I've had that happen to me, except it lodged between where the front fender meets the A-pillar. So, at least you aren't the only one, lol!!!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yup, that'll do it!

If that stem had broken off while lodged in the weatherstripping and the leaf blown off, it could have been even more frustrating to troubleshoot! Ask me how I know!!! :eek:

Our '09 FXT suffered from a similar condition, albeit with a twist: it would only whistle at highway speeds when the weather was hot (80 deg. F. and above).

And by "whistle," I mean a LOUD whine. Enough to where I'd first questioned if it wasn't a window or the moonroof that wasn't closed properly - and then question if it was brakes or even drivetrain related....and then I started to question my sanity, as it would come and go, come and go. I guess the expansion/shrinkage from cold-to-hot somehow caused the gap created to become just large enough so as to cause the whistling. It took us two summers of suffering through the issue before I finally tracked down the offending stem. We still joke about it to this day, when, at-random, someone in the car will replicate that noise while we're on a road-trip

It was like the Predator, ".....Only in the hottest years this happens." :smile_big:
Hope your troubleshooting solves it, @Manny Sanchez !

·
Registered
927 Posts
It's just like in programming, if it's something silly, you need a witness before you can find the issue!

I often bring over people to look at my code so I can just immediately find the issue and show off how stupid it was! Saves tons of time!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I had this issue once on my Forester when it was new. It was driving me crazy.

It turned out to be a tiny breach in the seal on the driver's side window near the side mirror. If I covered it up with duct tape it would stop. The dealer fixed it under warranty and it never occurred again.

If the leaf you found does not turn out to be the issue, look for a problem with the window seals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Curious if you ever figured this out. We have a week old Ascent Touring and it has the worst wind noise from the passenger side I've ever heard. Taking it back to dealership next week. $45k car that sounds like the window is cracked at 50 mph.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Curious if you ever figured this out. We have a week old Ascent Touring and it has the worst wind noise from the passenger side I've ever heard. Taking it back to dealership next week. $45k car that sounds like the window is cracked at 50 mph.

If there isn't a leaf or something stuck somewhere, check the window seals, and, if you have roof crossbars, make sure they are not backwards. The THICK edge faces forward.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Low probability, but easy check: Both of my corner dashboard vents whistle like a sonofagun when in a slightly-closed from open position. Drives me nuts when a family member leaves the right side one in that position, and it was really hard to pinpoint the first time.

F.S.

Edit: And they whistle more at highway speeds, must be some forced pressure from an inlet. Made me think it was a window or door or moonroof.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
interesting....I'll check this out! thanks...
You can turn it to recirculated, off, to test. While on, hit recirculate, and then hit off after the dampers finish moving to recirculate mode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have wind noise on the passenger side as well. I've checked everything above, complained at dealership (they said take the crossbars off), did that, same noise. They've looked at door seal, moon roof seal, messed with vents and nothing. We only seem to get the noise going in a certain direction with wind in our face. Aggravating....$47k vehicle and now we're getting the front struts replaced too....

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
We have wind noise on the passenger side as well. I've checked everything above, complained at dealership (they said take the crossbars off), did that, same noise. They've looked at door seal, moon roof seal, messed with vents and nothing. We only seem to get the noise going in a certain direction with wind in our face. Aggravating....$47k vehicle and now we're getting the front struts replaced too....
Do you hear it with the moonroof cracked open? And have you checked the intercooler ducting for debris?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Any resolution? I've had pronounced wind noise in the passenger side door and moonroof area. My weather stripping looks pinched and uneven, so they are checking on it. The Ascent loaner I have has some unevenness, but not the pinching mine has.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought mine and I hear a high pitching sound like a whistle after it hits 75, on the driver side. Let me know what they say about yours. Im going to the dealer next week and hopefully it’s fixed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts