Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys -- I have a new Ascent with a few hundred miles on it and am very happy with it. The only odd thing so far is its tendency to idle high (~1700 - 1800 RPM) when I start. If I wait a few minutes it will drop, but not by much. It is by far the highest-idling car I've had.

And when I start backing up out of the parking space, I sometimes get a lumpy engine "idle" (not technically an idle as I'm moving slowly) in the beginning.

Likewise, I've found it revs high when going up hills.

Is this just how the car is designed, or am I missing some software update or something? Many thanks for any input,

James

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Hi, guys -- I have a new Ascent with a few hundred miles on it and am very happy with it. The only odd thing so far is its tendency to idle high (~1700 - 1800 RPM) when I start. If I wait a few minutes it will drop, but not by much. It is by far the highest-idling car I've had.

And when I start backing up out of the parking space, I sometimes get a lumpy engine "idle" (not technically an idle as I'm moving slowly) in the beginning.

Likewise, I've found it revs high when going up hills.

Is this just how the car is designed, or am I missing some software update or something? Many thanks for any input,

James
Hi James,

That's normal. On really cold days, it will idle to as high as 3,000 rpm.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
The lumpy movement backing out of the garage is indeed annoying -- I can feel this as well. It does happen only when the CVT is cold...and I'm guessing it's something related to CVT fluid temperature. I agree that it's not the idle itself that is lumpy -- it seems to be in the CVT itself.

The high idle when cold is also something that grates on me. I just hate pulling back into reverse at 1,700 RPM...the old school "car guy" in me can't help but feel this is unnecessarily harmful to the CVT/torque converter/etc. But it seems that's the way this powertrain is intended to operate when cold after the first start, and I have to tell myself that each time I start it cold. :cool:

To whose who've had their Ascents for a while and cold start them at 70 or 80 degrees F -- is the initial idle still as high then?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
I'll also say that the CVT does seem to take some time to "break in", both mechanically and electronically (as it learns how you drive). We have a '20 Touring with about 1,300 miles on it and I feel that it's only recently started to feel consistently smooth. We'll have a brief impulse or shudder through the powertrain every now and then, usually before things have come up to temperature. Those things are fewer and farther between lately.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
To clarify the "high idle" when first starting it...it's to heat up the engine faster because turbos run better when warm.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
To clarify the "high idle" when first starting it...it's to heat up the engine faster because turbos run better when warm.
Yep, especially with emissions needs, which require a quicker warmup as well - I suspect especially when coupled to our non PZEV engines.

And personally, I like the idea of our turbos being lubricated and warmed up before I do my morning "stomp on the gas pedal, partially because of ridiculously short highway ramps here, and partially because it's fun" driving. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
High cold idle also helps light the catalytic converters quickly. The faster all of that stuff heats up, and the engine can get into closed-loop mode, the better.

I just feel like I'm killing the transmission on the first shift out of park! :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts