Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! 3 quick question if anyone can help please...

1. Can I regain manual control of my high-beams and override the automatic settings?

2. Upon starting my Ascent, I see the headlights doing a quick left-right motion, does this mean that they are directional while driving? If yes I do not see this happening.

3. Finally I am supposed to have (I think) an auto rain sensor to start the wiper blades going when rain starts falling...is there an on/off switch for this?

My Ascent is the Premier model, the top edition in Canada

Thanks if you can help,

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the US limited model:
1. If you set the lights to regular on position (not Auto), you can turn on high beam as you like
2. The US limited and higher trim has steering-responsive head lamps but I haven't paid attention if they turned on car startup
3. The highest US touring trim has the auto rain sensor I believe. Not sure if lower trims have it as an option

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
831 Posts
2. Upon starting my Ascent, I see the headlights doing a quick left-right motion, does this mean that they are directional while driving? If yes I do not see this happening.

3. Finally I am supposed to have (I think) an auto rain sensor to start the wiper blades going when rain starts falling...is there an on/off switch for this?
2. Yes, the steering responsive LED headlights do auto align and auto level at startup. And they do track the movement of the steering wheel, it's subtle not a huge change but you can see it, at least I can in my Limited.

3. If you have rain sensing wipers the sensor will be located between the rear view mirror post and the passenger side Eyesight camera, also you will have an Auto setting on your wiper control stalk.

·
Registered
837 Posts
1. Can I regain manual control of my high-beams and override the automatic settings?
I have the US limited model:
1. If you set the lights to regular on position (not Auto), you can turn on high beam as you like
As nextmoon,, I also have the US model.

To disengage the auto-high-beam-assist, you'll also need to make sure that your lighting control stalk is in its standard detent position, not pushed forward to the high-beam setting. It's the combination of enabling both "Auto" on the stalk dial and having that stalk pushed forward that allows for auto-high-beam-assist.

2. The US limited and higher trim has steering-responsive head lamps but I haven't paid attention if they turned on car startup
and

2. Yes, the steering responsive LED headlights do auto align and auto level at startup. And they do track the movement of the steering wheel, it's subtle not a huge change but you can see it, at least I can in my Limited.
Mike's Ascent, as both nextmoon and GaryInMI noted, the effect on-road is subtle. In areas where ambient/roadside lighting is bright and the headlight beam hard to make out as-is, you likely won't be able to see the difference at all.

In darker areas, if you pay attention to the closer beam-shape of the light's "throw" on the foreground (instead of looking ahead, like you actually should be doing when driving...so this is somewhat dangerous in and of itself: I would recommend that you do this at low speeds, in a clear parking lot with no barriers/parking-stops), the inboard (right side for a right-hand turn, and vice-versa) should noticeably track more aggressively (both the swing-in, which occurs early, as well as the return-to-center, which occurs late) than the other light in the pair. Alternatively, you can try the high-beam in a darker area, preferably with trees/shrubbery to either side of the roadway as this will tend to highlight the tracking of the beams.

The following is not my video, but you can see how this plays out in a darker setting:

Notice in the first 20 or so seconds of the video the aggressive tracking of the inboard light.

Later, as the driver "swings" the vehicle side-to-side, you can also see the difference in the path that the lights take versus the angle of the vehicle.

The startup check and leveling routine can be visualized on the wall of a darkened garage pretty nicely.

3. If you have rain sensing wipers the sensor will be located between the rear view mirror post and the passenger side Eyesight camera, also you will have an Auto setting on your wiper control stalk.
The wiiper control stalk's first downward detent activates the auto-sensing feature. The rotary towards the end of the stalk controls the sensitivity of the auto-sensing feature. For those who are accustomed to the previous generations of Subarus without the auto-sensing feature, this rotary is effectively "reversed/opposite" of what we are used to. Member zulater posted the following in another thread that perfectly describes this functionality versus what we old-Subaru hats would expect. :)

<snip>
The dial is also opposite of what you may be, or at least I was, used to. Instead of shorter to longer delay between wipes it's more sensitive (less rain buildup) to less sensitive (more rain buildup). But the thicker bar indicates more sensitive not more time between wipes if that makes sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts