Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While not terrible, the stock headlights on the Premium could stand for a good deal of improvement. I don't want the typical 6500k cool blue LED glare-bulbs that many folks seem to end up with. The super cool blue light makes it harder to see details and the poorly designed ones have terrible glare for oncoming traffic.

Beamtechs and a couple of other brands seem to be popular here on the forum. The reviews on Amazon are just ok, not great in some instances.

There are also HID kits with relays and ballasts available like this one from Xenon Depot: https://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Kit-Xtreme-HID-p/xt-h11.htm

The nice thing about this kit is you can select the color temperature of the bulb - from 3500K, 4300K, 5000k and up. That's a much more pleasant light than 6500K hyperblue.

The downside is you have relays and ballasts to deal with.

Obviously the plug and play LED replacement bulbs are much simpler. But almost all the LED H11's are 6000K or cooler.

I did find one brand with a claimed 4000K H11 bulb. No idea of it's any good however: ZISTE Official Website(H8,H9)H11 LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kit Pack of 2

The Diode Dynamics H11 SL1 LEDs are rated at 5700K, still on the cooler side.

Xenon Depot does have these LEDs rated at 5500K: https://www.xenondepot.com/H11-Xtreme-LED-kit-pro-p/xt-led-h11-pro.htm

So we do have a number of options. But it's confusing. The reviews are all over the place. I just want something 4300K-5000K that has good output, lasts, and wont' burn up my OEM wiring.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
VLEDs is one of the few companies that offers 5k for pretty much all of their bulbs. (I have no affiliation, but recommend them a lot)
https://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/h11/micro-extreme-h11-h16-h8-h9.html

Also, Installing set of HIDs is not too bad at all. 4300K is really an ideal color. I had that in my last two vehicles. I used a relay for the first one, and no relay in my 2012 Outback. Turned out it was never necessary.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VLEDs is one of the few companies that offers 5k for pretty much all of their bulbs. (I have no affiliation, but recommend them a lot)
https://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/h11/micro-extreme-h11-h16-h8-h9.html

Also, Installing set of HIDs is not too bad at all. 4300K is really an ideal color. I had that in my last two vehicles. I used a relay for the first one, and no relay in my 2012 Outback. Turned out it was never necessary.

The Micro-Extreme LEDs are $175. For that price I'd rather have the HIDs from Xenon Depot. That kit looks like it's put together right and I really like the 4300K color temperature.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I believe 70%+ of the cars on the roads have 4300K bulbs. The OEM uses 4300K (sometimes dealer recommend 5000K).

The 6500K color is sort of a myth. The blue/purple you may see from a projected headlight is from the cutoff, a diffracted light, but that’s not what is projected onto the road or the driver see

You want 4300K always to start out. You should only get higher temp bulb as replacement to match the original.

I believe the LED behaves differently, the color doesn’t shift like HID but the lumen can suffer dramatically when you have heat

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would say either go with LED bulbs that are specifically designed so that the LED chips are placed in an almost identical location along the length of the bulb to a standard halogen filament. There are online video shootouts of LED bulbs to help you in your selection. If you're going to go LED, also try to shoot for one with a dedicated LED driver unit (which will kinda look like a miniaturized HID ballast). In theory, this should help regulate the amps to properly drive the LED (and prevent premature burn out). A good LED driver can be adjusted to mildly overdrive the LED so that you get a brighter LED output, but I'm not sure how many of those really exist in the real world (without some internal tinkering).

I would also venture to say that if you're going for overall brightness, HID will illuminate better and brighter than LED (which will also appear to illuminate better than halogen). HID is not really all that hard to install and many new kits now are essentially plug and play with maybe some minor need for drilling or bolting / double sided stick taping things to your bay (like the ballasts). Quality LEDs will require similar (though often smaller) installations of the drivers.
My understanding is that the Premium comes with low beam Halogen projector housings and a separate high beam reflector unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.