Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find anything relating to my question. My 2020 is having "hiccups" for lack of a better term, while I am driving. I seem to notice the hiccup around 55 mph as that is the highest speed I typically reach on my daily commute. I don't know if it is transmission related, engine related or normal with this vehicle as it is my first vehicle with a CVT. I'm a bit perplexed.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find anything relating to my question. My 2020 is having "hiccups" for lack of a better term, while I am driving. I seem to notice the hiccup around 55 mph as that is the highest speed I typically reach on my daily commute. I don't know if it is transmission related, engine related or normal with this vehicle as it is my first vehicle with a CVT. I'm a bit perplexed.
Forget the speed. What RPM? Also, have you checked to see if there's a reprogramming available for your ECU or TCU? Check the Subaru Canada recall site.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
There weren't any recalls listed. I'll check the RPM on my drive home tonight, but I believe it was around 1,500.
You could be feeling the torque converter lockup/unlock then.

People have reported that it's less/rarely noticeable with the reprogramming.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
55 Posts
Can you further describe the "hiccup"? Does it feel like just a random impulse through the car? Like the CVT instantaneously shuddered a little bit? Ours will do that also every now and then. It's a Feb 2020 production vehicle, so I presume all the programming updates are included on it. Our has about 500 miles now, so I'm discarding these as break-in related things as the CVT gets used to life in service. If they continue for many thousands of miles, it'd probably be annoying, but nothing I'd consider unacceptable. Ours are relatively minor, and happen only once or twice every few times we drive it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard to describe without feeling it. A brief shudder is another way it can be described and by brief, it maybe lasts one second. I don't believe the transmission is slipping, but it might be the torque converter as Robert mentioned. Is there a TSB available for the reprogramming, or something I need to ask the dealer about?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts