Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In keeping with my tradition to do just about everything, in each car i own...my Ascent has been used as a "normal" car on the road. It has been used exploring trails off road. Now, it has been used on the track! Lol. Hoomestead Miami Speedway hosts a "Give Back at the Track" event every few months where you pay $25 for 3 laps, $45 for 6 or $80 for 10 laps around the oval with a pace car. Hell, I did it in the Suburban, why not the Ascent right?
Well its not as powerful as the 5.3l V8 and only managed about 105 on the straights (Suburban did just past 110) but hung on tight on the banking at around 85. Enjoy the video!!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
That looks like fun. If I drove the little sports car that you were behind, I would be a tad ashamed that a Subaru SUV family wagon was on my tail the whole time. Way to go!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to road race for years. Most of the people there have never been on a track before. The last time I went in my Suburban, the pace car driver stopped me and essentially commented on the size of my nuts...lol

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah, the Porsche driver needed a little "love tap" in the corners to get him out of the way! Same with the Dodge! 😈😁

Heh, when my 88 Mustang shredded a tire on my saturday road race event I thought about running my Ascent on Sunday instead. I would have, had I not just installed Nitto Ridge Grappler AT tires!

The handling is surprisingly capable for as large as it is. No, it's not a Porsche Cayenne, that's for sure, but it does take the twisties quite well.

Had a similar story with a Subaru BRZ chasing me up a mountain road back to our campsite. I had 6 people in the Ascent and was being a bit cautious to keep the ride comfy, but I was using the Turbo out of the corners and having a good smooth cornering speed. When we got back to the campsite the BRZ driver said, "Wow, you can make that big thing MOVE! I had to work to keep up with you!"

Reactions: TheRaven and latapx

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had 6 people in the Ascent and was being a bit cautious to keep the ride comfy, but I was using the Turbo out of the corners and having a good smooth cornering speed
How was the engine temperature under those conditions ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had the oil temperature display up on the center display. Prolonged WOT up to 105+ saw oil temps get to 242 max and it would cool to mid 230s on the banking while off throttle. Repeat for each straight away. It was pretty stable. But I also was not drafting anyone on purpose to get all the air on the nose. It was also 95 degrees out.

Reactions: burgessms

·
Registered
824 Posts
Anyone remember the movie “Duel”(1971),that’s what it probably felt like to the guy in the sports car in front of you..”How can he go so fast!”- Dennis Weaver

Cool video,looked like fun stuff 👍🏾

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
They let you go wide open? The lame Michigan Speedway always has a speed limit and I think even a pace car. This making driving on the track a worse experience than a highway...lol

What was that car doing in front of you? So slow on the corners.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They let you go wide open? The lame Michigan Speedway always has a speed limit and I think even a pace car. This making driving on the track a worse experience than a highway...lol

What was that car doing in front of you? So slow on the corners.
There was a pace car...brand new Mustang GT350. He would base his speed based on how closely folks followed behind. In the Ascent, I was WOT from mid corner and wouldn't use much brake into the banking. Faster cars (my dad was there in his C6 Corvette) tended to cruise along. Like I said...its a charity even...most people there have never seen a track before and tend to park it in the corners and then accelerate on the straights. I haven't driven a proper racecar on a track since 2012 so this is an outlet for me.
What is amazing, is how many people's cars break down just from a few laps around the track...Hellcat, Corvette, etc.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Even here in Phoenix (now 40+ days of 110F+ temps) I've never had any problems with engine heat. Even towing the 3,500lb camper up that same mountain when it was 105F out wasn't an issue.

Reactions: latapx

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,126 Posts
You had a passenger shooting the video?

When my RX8 club had a track day at Daytona we had tons of restrictions. No passengers, helmets, no passing, follow the pace car's line. They had us out on the high banks at no more than 120 and then the infield circuit never higher than 90.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This was not a track day so the typical track day requirements were not utilized. For a track day, yes, you would need helmet, long pants, long sleeves, etc, etc.

Yes, my son was shooting the video from the passenger seat. I keep forgetting to take the GoPro.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.