Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Electric trailer brakes always need a brake controller mounted in the vehicle... some trucks come with brake controllers already installed but not the Ascent. Trailers with Hydraulic brakes do not need electric brake controllers. Perhaps you are thinking of this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry I should be a little more specific, I have been looking at a Taxa Mantis trailer. I emailed the sales rep and asked how their trailers hook up and what would be required and he said. "You will need a 7 pin connector and a 2" hitch to tow our Habitats. Our unit comes with a pre installed brake controller, so no need to have to purchase that."

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
Sorry I should be a little more specific, I have been looking at a Taxa Mantis trailer. I emailed the sales rep and asked how their trailers hook up and what would be required and he said. "You will need a 7 pin connector and a 2" hitch to tow our Habitats. Our unit comes with a pre installed brake controller, so no need to have to purchase that."
Here's from the Owner's Manual:

• Your trailer is equipped with a 7-pin connector, which synchronizes the lights of your tow vehicle and trailer, and can connect their respective braking systems. Although your trailer is equipped with electric brakes, you will need to separately purchase a brake controller for the trailer electric brakes to operate. Electric brakes are not required in every State. However, we recommend that you use them and thus, that you separately purchase a brake controller.
So,
  1. either the one you are picking up has one installed, in which case, from researching them, it will be a wireless brake controller, and you will have another end that plugs into the car

or

2. the sales rep is incorrect

or

3. the Owner's Manual is incorrect (or you do not have a 2019, and the previous or newer models are in scenario #1).
I wish I could tell you which.

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
Oh, and, wow, that thing looks awesome!!! With the type of adventuring, off-roading and overlanding I do, it looks like exactly what I should be looking at.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's not cheap, but the versatility and ability to park it in a garage / low towing profile makes it super attractive. I did my homework on this, unlike the drawtite hitch I just installed on my brand new touring, haha.

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
It's not cheap, but the versatility and ability to park it in a garage / low towing profile makes it super attractive. I did my homework on this, unlike the drawtite hitch I just installed on my brand new touring, haha.
It's a light trailer - you should be fine with that hitch. One other part in the manual that's incorrect. It does NOT enable a weight distributing hitch.

That aside, have you figured out your 7-pin rear harness yet? If not, someplace in this group, someone figured out how to hook it up. Short version is to get the hookups and follow the OEM install instructions to figure out where to wire them to. Since you got a Touring, the body wiring is already there, all the way back to the rear bumper/quarter panel.

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
Man they sure stretch the truth on what that hitch can do! The connector is relocated to the rear here correct?
I can't tell for sure from the pic, but, fast forward in this video to where he shows how to connect the Subaru 7 and 4 pin outlets. It's at about the 14m mark. You can also see the design differences between the two.

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
You the man thanks @Robert.Mauro, let me know when you get that Mantis ; )
Any time. Next for me though is an air adjustable lift, so I can go from stock height to 3" lift and back. THEN the Mantis. ;-)

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
357 Posts
When shopping for a trailer I found a large number of salesmen who were woefully uninformed when it came to both knowledge of weight distributing hitches and brake controllers. Your potential camper has electric brakes, and your tow vehicle will need a brake controller.

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
Nice! Any details on air suspension manufacturer, or is this a custom job?
I'm working with a big brand, who will hopefully have a product to market soon, if all goes well. Can't say who yet, but, everyone who's researched air suspension has heard of the company. ;)

I figured it was better to try to get a solution that's available to everyone who wants it.

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
I've done some more digging during my break, and I saw this as a feature currently listed for the 2020:
  • Wireless Brake Controller
So, if yours is a model year that includes that, then, you would simply be plugging in (into power) or mounting the control end in the car. From my previous post, that'd be Scenario #1. :)

That's nice to know. When you get yours please share pics of both the trailer and the control end in the Towing section. I am falling more in love with the Mantis the more I research it.

1. either the one you are picking up has one installed, in which case, from researching them, it will be a wireless brake controller, and you will have another end that plugs into the car

or

2. the sales rep is incorrect

or

3. the Owner's Manual is incorrect (or you do not have a 2019, and the previous or newer models are in scenario #1).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm working with a big brand, who will hopefully have a product to market soon, if all goes well. Can't say who yet, but, everyone who's researched air suspension has heard of the company. ;)

I figured it was better to try to get a solution that's available to everyone who wants it.
Can't wait to hear about it!

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just got my Ascent Limited today with the adventure package that includes the towing kit package.
As for the break controller I had ordered the P3 as many recommended all over the forum.
The installation was very strait forward.
I used the adapter left form Subaru’s tow package and the one that came with the P3, I simply marched the Colors of the two adapters.
as for the location of the controller I found the perfect spot located just bellow the fuse boxe door. There’s a small flat section that is perfectly aligned with the véhicule and just large enough for the smaller bracket.
I shorten the cables a little and made a bundle that I stashed behind the fuse box. I’ll probably put a tie later.

this location is out of my way when I get in and out the car.

tomorrow I’ll go try the trailer and then will come time to calibrate it. Hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts