Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot about recalls that might impact my 2019 Ascent. It sounds like there are perhaps 4 different recalls ongoing. Is that correct?

I did a vin recall search and mine comes back with just one recall.... CVT chain may slip. Not sure I have felt this happening but I don't want to end up stranded somewhere either by not acting. I am hoping you folks with greater experience and understanding can share some info with me.

1) Is it possibe that other MY19 Ascents have more recalls than mine does?

2) What does it take to make the fix needed for the CVT chain slippage problem? How long does the dealer need the car?

3) I am reading in some messages that people are trading these vehicles back because of the recall issues... is this CVT problem really that big an issue
that getting rid of the car might be called for?

Thanks very much for any helpful information!
Happy New Year!

·
Registered
56 Posts
1- it's possible you have more than one recall outstanding, but it depends on build date. Later MY19 may already have some of these completed. The Subaru website is up to date.

2 - it's a software update and then a test to make sure nothing is wrong. Overall it only takes a couple of hours if nothing major is wrong. If you're one of the unlucky ones with a bad harness or transmission then they'll replace it which will take a while.

3 - depends on how you feel about the car and the severity of the problem. My major concerns going forward are that: some people reported multiple failed transmissions and it’s still TBD whether or not there will be more problems down the road, and that Subaru is using a different sensor harness on newer vehicles which suggests that they don’t have a lot of confidence in the original design going forward.

IMO, there will be some (very small) percentage of 19 Ascents that will still go on to develop transmission issues over time as a result of the bad harnesses. The most likely scenario is that Subaru will extend the Powertrain warranty on 19 Ascents to 100k miles again to get around another recall.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I've been reading a lot about recalls that might impact my 2019 Ascent. It sounds like there are perhaps 4 different recalls ongoing. Is that correct?

I did a vin recall search and mine comes back with just one recall.... CVT chain may slip. Not sure I have felt this happening but I don't want to end up stranded somewhere either by not acting. I am hoping you folks with greater experience and understanding can share some info with me.

2) What does it take to make the fix needed for the CVT chain slippage problem? How long does the dealer need the car?

3) I am reading in some messages that people are trading these vehicles back because of the recall issues... is this CVT problem really that big an issue

Happy New Year!
The number of vehicles impacted by these recalls and or service campaigns is minuscule so unless your specific vin is listed whether at MySubaru or at the NHTSA website there is nothing there to do.

Some of the work being done on this tiny set of units is not always done because something has actually gone wrong with the specific vehicle. I had the updates but had not had any problems with slippage and may never have.

These software updates and testing take a few hours and you should be able to receive a loaner if you need to have one (just ask ahead of time).

There is absolutely no indication that any of this warrants an extended warranty across the board.

There is no indication there is anything wrong with the CVT itself. In a small percentage of one percent of units the wiring harness was the problem. If it had not been addressed, some CVT were impacted and therefore they had to be replaced.

For your information I have 17000 miles on my Limited.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If it hasn't already been mentioned, I suggesting going to https://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls/ and plugging in your VIN. This will show not only official NHTSA safety recalls but other non-safety related Subaru service campaigns that are appropriate for your VIN. Your dealer will also see them on their system. They will show up here long before you see them on your mysubaru app or website.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
My major concerns going forward are that: some people reported multiple failed transmissions and it’s still TBD whether or not there will be more problems down the road
Good news is, most of those never got a new harness, because the harness issue wasn't identified at the time (and thus the harness that caused the issue, caused it again). A few were dealer error (during installation). I've been involved in most of the examples of such situations that you've found in the forums.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I take these recalls in stride. I've had two cars (Nissan 2006 Xterra and Honda 2010 Pilot) with known problems that only became known to me when they were in the shop. The Pilot had to towed to a dealer on a family trip, luckily we did, because it was all covered. The Pilot had a spark plug/piston ring issue that was under warranty. Honda replaces the spark plugs first and then then if the piston rings go then they replace that. The sparks plug go first on the trip, covered. 5 years later the piston rings go, past the extended warranty, luckily Honda covered it because we always did our intervals for service, if not it would have been 4K worth of work. Not once did we get a notice in the mail from Honda that there was an issue. The Nissan, has a known problem with it's plastic guides for it's belts, every 60k-90k that needs to be replaced for a little over $1000. Didn't know about that one either from Nissan.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On December 16 I took my 2019 Ascent in for two recall items, one of which was for computer reprogramming. I was notified that there was an issue in the reprogramming and a new computer was going to be installed. Then I got another call saying that the new computer also had an issue. Now I am waiting for another new computer....Have to wait for it to get here from China. I feel like I am getting the run around.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
On December 16 I took my 2019 Ascent in for two recall items, one of which was for computer reprogramming. I was notified that there was an issue in the reprogramming and a new computer was going to be installed. Then I got another call saying that the new computer also had an issue. Now I am waiting for another new computer....Have to wait for it to get here from China. I feel like I am getting the run around.
Please call Subaru of America. As I said over in that other group, you should really get them involved since the dealership toasted two ECUs. Ask for a case number.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Happy New Year!
Look for December 2018 or beyond!
July 2018 builds will have be replaced! I had mine replaced 2019. All of a sudden in NoVA traffic while raining- the whole lit up and noises- pretty scary for a new car.
Transmission was replaced and I had a replacement vehicle next day to use while they fixed it.
Slippage they will need the car for a cpl of days- make sure they can loan you a rental!
Yes a lot of people are returning their cars unfortunately- they weren’t ready for prime time.
Even with its faulty recalls this vehicle has saved us 4 times in the car. It’s comfortable to drive and the dealership has to fix your recalls- when they don’t sell it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
If it hasn't already been mentioned, I suggesting going to Subaru Cars, Sedans, SUVs | Subaru of America and plugging in your VIN. This will show not only official NHTSA safety recalls but other non-safety related Subaru service campaigns that are appropriate for your VIN. Your dealer will also see them on their system. They will show up here long before you see them on your mysubaru app or website.
It all took 5 hours!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
July 2018 builds will have be replaced! I had mine replaced 2019. All of a sudden in NoVA traffic while raining- the whole lit up and noises- pretty scary for a new car.
Transmission was replaced and I had a replacement vehicle next day to use while they fixed it.
Slippage they will need the car for a cpl of days- make sure they can loan you a rental!
Yes a lot of people are returning their cars unfortunately- they weren’t ready for prime time.
Even with its faulty recalls this vehicle has saved us 4 times in the car. It’s comfortable to drive and the dealership has to fix your recalls- when they don’t sell it!
Only a very small number of transmissions for 2018 builds will need to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
July 2018 builds will have be replaced!
This is untrue. The only transmissions that will be replaced are those that were damaged by the bad harness. The recall tests for that damage as part of the recall procedure and the majority of vehicles do not have it. There is no defect in the transmission itself...this is all about the harness.

Reactions: GaryInMI

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
Pretty much everything in this post except the CVT replacement is inaccurate.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Happy New Year!

Took my Ascent in yesterday for recall and service. They said that they do not have parts for the PVC fix. The told me the CVT chain recall would be completed. They gave me an almost new outback loaner, very nice car. Expected to get my Ascent back late in the day or next morning. Called service next morning and was informed a new transmission was ordered. and should arrive in 5 days. No answer on ETA. to get back.
When I dropped off the Ascent I told service that I am having transmission issues. When I start car in morning and start to drive up slight grade by my house the engine rpm goes up to apx 4000 rpm. Typically the cvt keeps rpm at close to 2000 rpm throughout acceleration.
I will update recall experience when they complete the swap.o_O

·
Registered
56 Posts
That sounds fair enough. Let us know how it turns out.
It has not turned out so well yet. I am still driving a loaner as my car is now in shop for 30 days. The computer is still not available. Spoke with a supervisor at SOA on Monday, She stated she will get back to me by end of week. I have contacted a Lemon Law lawyer using the "in the shop for 30 days" Lemon Law clause.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
When I dropped off the Ascent I told service that I am having transmission issues. When I start car in morning and start to drive up slight grade by my house the engine rpm goes up to apx 4000 rpm.
I just want to make you aware that those are not the reasons they are replacing your CVT. That's normal behavior - UNLESS it is accompanied by chain slip, which will make a horrible metal shrieking sound (usually only heard briefly, accompanied with a jump in RPMs).

Typically the cvt keeps rpm at close to 2000 rpm throughout acceleration.
That, on the other hand, isn't normal, if you're flooring it. If you're easy on the pedal, or using Adaptive Cruise Control, that can be normal.

I will update recall experience when they complete the swap.
Looking forward to it, especially what diagnosis they had. I suspect they detected a chain slip code.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got my 2019 Ascent back after over a month in the shop. Report on service states that the technician attempted to do the ECM update but the USB failed during the update, ECM needed to be replaced then the replaced ECM failed during programing. Had to wait for ECM to come from Japan. The two recalls were WUV07 and WUU06.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts