Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This site has been extremely helpful in performing research for the Ascent I plan to buy, but I do have some lingering questions I'm hoping the community can assist with. Also, I'm not a "car person" so please forgive me if I use the wrong lingo.

1. Is there a verdict on the best/least expensive no-haggle option for (A) Ordering a 2020 Ascent Limited 8 Passenger from the manufacturer or (B) Purchasing a 2019 Ascent Limited 8 Passenger from existing inventory? I've read all of the available posts on the Costco Program (we'll be members in less than a week) and the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society VIP Program. Is one of them better than the other? Is there something that I have not mentioned that is even better?

2. My family is relocating from NYC to NC in less than a week (late June) and would ideally like to have one of the two cars we'll be purchasing by late June. If we go for an Ascent 2020 MY, I suspect that would not arrive until August 2020 at the earliest (based on what I've read on this forum), but please let me know otherwise. If that's the case, I'll probably purchase our Forester MY 2019 first (based on what I've read the Forester MY 2020 will not be arriving until the fall).

3. Is it possible for me to remotely finalize a car purchase this week (while living in NY) with a car pickup/delivery in NC? If so, how? Is my best option to work with a local (NC) dealer?

4. Is it possible to get a car with a moonroof without going for the entire technology package (Package #23?)?

5. Are there any "no-brainer" items I should make sure that I have included as part of the purchase (e.g., crossbars, etc.)?

6. Anything else important I should be considering? As stated in the title, this is our first time buying cars, so any assistance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your location and dealers probably make a huge difference from the process that I went through in SF Bay Area.

1. Finding a dealer that accepts Subaru VIP Program at minus 2% invoice, because several don't in SF Bay Area, was the best price I could ever get and it came without all the hassle that I was trying with negotiating and having dealers compete. I know this is not true for others and other locations.
  2. We placed our order on June 13 for a 2020 Ascent Limited 8 passenger and current timeframe is end of August delivery.
  3. Once we found a dealer that worked with Subaru VIP Program, Carlsen Subaru of Redwood City, I did it all through email and phone. Still have never set foot in that store and won't until vehicle delivery.
  4. No.
  5. If you are ever going to tow or use the hitch as a carrier, at least get that factory installed, because a $499 MSRP, $370 invoice item, can easily turn into a $1000 dealer add-on when they want the full $499 MSRP and then another $500 for installation cost.
  6. In our case the Subaru VIP Program made all the difference FROM a 3 month struggle and fight with several local dealers over either new order or purchase available inventory TO exactly known pricing with no hassle and some of the best pricing. Best site for getting invoice pricing to me was https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2020/Subaru/Ascent/2-4T-Limited-8-Passenger/Pricing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your location and dealers probably make a huge difference from the process that I went through in SF Bay Area.
JDV - Wow, thanks very much for your detailed response. I'll work on finding the dealer that accepts VIP Pricing at Invoice LESS 2% with the closest proximity to my next home.

One thing I'm still not totally clear on - would the invoice LESS 2% pricing still have applied for a car already in available inventory or were you required to place a new order?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
116 Posts

1. Finding a dealer that accepts Subaru VIP Program at minus 2% invoice, because several don't in SF Bay Area, was the best price I could ever get and it came without all the hassle that I was trying with negotiating and having dealers compete. I know this is not true for others and other locations.
  2. We placed our order on June 13 for a 2020 Ascent Limited 8 passenger and current timeframe is end of August delivery.
  3. Once we found a dealer that worked with Subaru VIP Program, Carlsen Subaru of Redwood City, I did it all through email and phone. Still have never set foot in that store and won't until vehicle delivery.
  4. No.
  5. If you are ever going to tow or use the hitch as a carrier, at least get that factory installed, because a $499 MSRP, $370 invoice item, can easily turn into a $1000 dealer add-on when they want the full $499 MSRP and then another $500 for installation cost.
  6. In our case the Subaru VIP Program made all the difference FROM a 3 month struggle and fight with several local dealers over either new order or purchase available inventory TO exactly known pricing with no hassle and some of the best pricing. Best site for getting invoice pricing to me was https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2020/Subaru/Ascent/2-4T-Limited-8-Passenger/Pricing.
NYCtoNC, totally agree with JDV comments.

We ordered our 2019 Ascent Limited in late Feb. through VIP program and it was a breeze with no hassles, Car arrived in 5 weeks. Wait is likely to be longer now due to switch to 2020 model. I always prefer ordering rather than finding a car in inventory since you can choose the exact options and color you want when ordering as long as you have the time to wait for car to be built.

Must-have options for me include 1) Rear bumper cover ($120); 2) Cargo tray ($81); 3) Rear Seat Back Protector ($92); and 4) Cross-Bars ($201) since we have a Yakima Skybox car-top carrier. The Tonneau (cargo area) Cover ($201) is iffy as in both our Ascent and our Outback this cover is hardly ever used and is almost always stowed in the rear storage area under the cargo floor.

The prices shown above are the MSRP prices and do not reflect the reduced VIP. prices.

We love our Ascent (our 8th Subaru). Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,169 Posts
If you are currently a Subaru owner, you should also call into customer service and ask for a loyalty rebate...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.