Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone! My wife and I are purchasing a new Ascent for our family this week and are brand new members to this forum. We have never purchased a new Subaru before (currently driving an F150). We are going to buy a Canadian base model (Convenience) as that is what will best serve our needs for the price.

The dealer we are working with has proposed a few options for 'prepaid maintenance' as well as 'extended warranty'.

They are proposing a 3 year scheduled maintenance plan for approximately $1600 Canadian. When looking at their price for the first 6 individual services it would be cheaper to get the 'prepaid plan'. They also offer plans for longer terms (4, 5, 6yrs, etc). Overall, this is a lot of money and I think I can do these myself, providing I don't void the warranty.

In addition, they are offering an extended warranty package (5 yrs for $2600, 6yrs for $3000 and 7 yrs for $3550). Once again, this seems like an expensive add on.

I believe I am handy enough to do basic maintenance, but want to make sure I am not missing something when taking this on as a new Subaru owner.

My questions are below:

1) Can I do the maintenance myself and keep the new vehicle warranty intact?
2) Is there anything specific I need to keep in mind to ensure I don't void the warranty?
3) Is there anything difficult about self performing maintenance on Subaru's (or Ascent's) in general?
4) Are any of the extended warranty packages worthwhile for a 2021 Ascent?
5) Are there other providers that provide a more sensible/cost effective warranty package?

Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,441 Posts
Oil changes, oil filters, air filters, cabin filters, wipers, tire rotations and brakes are all easy DIY items. Other maintenance items that are scheduled in the manual for the higher mileage intervals are typically done at a shop. None of the maintenance items are required to be completed at a dealership, but you certainly need to maintain detailed records. Those are the bulk of the items in the early years. the manual will reflect the manufacturer maintenance schedule. Dealers sometimes want you to have additional items taken care of. You will not need them. Certain items should be completed at the dealership such as the CVT fluid.

Extended warranty. You do not need to purchase the extended warranty at the time of purchase. the ONLY extended warranty worth considering if any is the Subaru Gold Plus. Do not purchase a non manufacturer warranty and you need to be very careful if you purchase an extended warranty that is specifically states in the contract, the Subaru Gold Plus. You will have the option for different terms in years, mileage and deductible. The zero deductible is very little more than the high deductibles and therefore worth it (IMO). the extended warranty runs concurrently with the OEM warranty although there are some number of items covered in the extended that are not covered in the OEM.

review these prior to contacting dealer.

·
Administrator
984 Posts
Welcome to the forums @canadian_mountain_family,

You will find a lot of useful information on here.... And quite a few members who had the same questions as you do now. So definitely ask away...

I'll 2nd everything @packout mentioned above.

C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil changes, oil filters, air filters, cabin filters, wipers, tire rotations and brakes are all easy DIY items. Other maintenance items that are scheduled in the manual for the higher mileage intervals are typically done at a shop. None of the maintenance items are required to be completed at a dealership, but you certainly need to maintain detailed records. Those are the bulk of the items in the early years. the manual will reflect the manufacturer maintenance schedule. Dealers sometimes want you to have additional items taken care of. You will not need them. Certain items should be completed at the dealership such as the CVT fluid.

Extended warranty. You do not need to purchase the extended warranty at the time of purchase. the ONLY extended warranty worth considering if any is the Subaru Gold Plus. Do not purchase a non manufacturer warranty and you need to be very careful if you purchase an extended warranty that is specifically states in the contract, the Subaru Gold Plus. You will have the option for different terms in years, mileage and deductible. The zero deductible is very little more than the high deductibles and therefore worth it (IMO). the extended warranty runs concurrently with the OEM warranty although there are some number of items covered in the extended that are not covered in the OEM.

review these prior to contacting dealer.
Thank you very much Packout. I appreciate the insight and advice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forums @canadian_mountain_family,

You will find a lot of useful information on here.... And quite a few members who had the same questions as you do now. So definitely ask away...

I'll 2nd everything @packout mentioned above.

C.
Thank you HeyChris for the further confirmation on the info above... as well as your welcome message!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.