Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently posted about going camping for the weekend. I had my Yakima Skybox 18 on the roof and 4 bikes on the hitch carrier. I realize this is going to get expensive but with as much fun as the kids had having their bikes with us its worth it. I'd like to be able to bring mine and my wife's bike as well. The littlest one will have her own soon enough too for a total of 7! I'll still need the cargo box of course.

Unless I hear some better ideas I'm leaning toward upgrading the 4 bike hitch carrier to a 5 bike hitch carrier. Suggestions?
I have OEM aero crossbars now. They're a bit limited with how they only allow mounting things between the side rails. I'm going to need more space to add 2 bike carriers to the roof with the cargo box!

2 roof rack options I've found so far are:
  • Yakima TimberLine system with JetStream crossbars. The JetStream are slightly more expensive than CoreBars, but also a little more versatile and weigh less. They come in 60" or 70" length. I feel like 70" is pretty wide but I'd love to see a pic for reference.
  • Thule WingBar Evo system which is only available 60" crossbars

I'm going with black crossbars and you cant change my mind! But I'm open to other ideas too. Talking my wife into buying a Suburban isn't going to happen anytime soon...
I also understand the Ascent's weight limits on the hitch, roof, and cargo overall; I can keep it close but within limits.

Does anyone have any pictures of their Ascent with either the Yakima Timberline or Thule Wingbar Evo system and with 60"+ crossbars. Extra credit if you have multiple accessories mounted on them! Also, is it possible to mount a bike carrier such as a Yakima FrontLoader (I have 1 already) directly on top of the mounting towers or would it need to be completely inside or outside the rails?

Thanks in advance!
Check out LoloRack. No affiliation, just a thrilled customer. No comment on the crossbars, just the rack for the hitch to keep a bike off the crossbars.

Hitch rack…6 bikes upright. Can fit road bikes, MTB. Kids bikes, whatever. Bikes hang from the handlebars. We have used ours for 2 years and cannot give it enough praise. Mostly we haul 4 MTB, but have had 6 in multiple occasions with no issues. Even had a couple beach cruisers with the 4 MTB up there at one point.

Not many products meet my expectations…this has far exceeded them. Be prepared for people to ask you about it. Friends and strangers. At least 2 friends have purchased in my recommendations.

You’ll still need a single bike on the roof, but should easily be able to fit a box and single bike on the roof fairly easily.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
412 Posts
Check out LoloRack. No affiliation, just a thrilled customer. No comment on the crossbars, just the rack for the hitch to keep a bike off the crossbars.

Hitch rack…6 bikes upright. Can fit road bikes, MTB. Kids bikes, whatever. Bikes hang from the handlebars. We have used ours for 2 years and cannot give it enough praise. Mostly we haul 4 MTB, but have had 6 in multiple occasions with no issues. Even had a couple beach cruisers with the 4 MTB up there at one point.

Not many products meet my expectations…this has far exceeded them. Be prepared for people to ask you about it. Friends and strangers. At least 2 friends have purchased in my recommendations.

You’ll still need a single bike on the roof, but should easily be able to fit a box and single bike on the roof fairly easily.
I was trying to remember what this rack was called. See them all over the place around here. I agree they look weird as hell but appear to get the job done with a minimum of fuss.

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

banned! Just kidding 😂

That is one crazy looking bike carrier. It seems expensive but for what it does it’s reasonable. I like how it keeps the bikes close to the hitch but what about the torsion forces?
If there was a way I could try it before investing in one I’d be all over it!

·
Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
256 Posts
True dat. Keep your eyes on the Facebook Marketplace sales lists for your area as well as Craig's List...you never know what might come up for a small utility trailer.
We looked at several FBMP posts for trailers and they were all scams. Every last one of them. Infuriating.

When I looked, it seems like the UHaul trailers aren't sold like the trucks are; they are usually scrapped/recycled. Several mentions of company policy, but take that as you will I wasn't doing heavy research.

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We looked at several FBMP posts for trailers and they were all scams. Every last one of them. Infuriating.
When I looked, it seems like the UHaul trailers aren't sold like the trucks are; they are usually scrapped/recycled. Several mentions of company policy, but take that as you will I wasn't doing heavy research.
Your area is not too unique in that regard. Its almost easy to spot the fake ads on FB because they're almost always pixellated or stock photos. There are a few legit ads out there but none at the moment for any less than the price of a new one unless they have no title or paperwork to register them. Its not enforced often here but registering a trailer is required if (don't quote me on this) the gvwr is >~1000lb.
Uhaul has one car dolly for sale and some trucks but the trailers are indeed hard to come by.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,407 Posts
Yes, there are many scams for things like trailers on the various online marketplaces. One way to be more careful about that is "local only" (within reasonable distance of home) and that also means physical examination before moving further. No deposit without actually seeing it in person. Some small utility manufacturers and resellers also take trades so that's another avenue to check out.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Administrator
1,021 Posts
Yes, we know the reason why not.... But only IF there was a viable way. lolz

Bicycle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car

·
Administrator
1,021 Posts
It would definitely yell at you for certain.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts