Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've been following Ascent since the beginning, then had big things in life happen, and then Telluride and Palisade came out. I was considering those, but greedy dealers and some issues they're having, I gave up on them. Went back to look at Ascent and here I am.

I'm in North California, SF Bay. I see couple of '19 and was thinking maybe could get a great deal, but would be interested in '20.
I was wondering if I could get some input of how to approach this. I want Limited, I don't care about moon roof and navigation. I looked at Costco pricing but not really sure what and how much, looked at American Express True Car too. I wonder how much below MSRP I could get, how to negotiate, and get the best deal.

What to do when test driving and what to look for? I don't want any add-ons, just want best deal possible. Would like roof cross bars and rear hitch (to have for bikes). I'm very excited/nervous about this whole ordeal. I appreciate any feedback of hopefully soon to be owner.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've been following Ascent since the beginning, then had big things in life happen, and then Telluride and Palisade came out. I was considering those, but greedy dealers and some issues they're having, I gave up on them. Went back to look at Ascent and here I am.

I'm in North California, SF Bay. I see couple of '19 and was thinking maybe could get a great deal, but would be interested in '20.
I was wondering if I could get some input of how to approach this. I want Limited, I don't care about moon roof and navigation. I looked at Costco pricing but not really sure what and how much, looked at American Express True Car too. I wonder how much below MSRP I could get, how to negotiate, and get the best deal.

What to do when test driving and what to look for? I don't want any add-ons, just want best deal possible. Would like roof cross bars and rear hitch (to have for bikes). I'm very excited/nervous about this whole ordeal. I appreciate any feedback of hopefully soon to be owner.

Thanks
It sounds like you already know the features you want. I would suggest talking to three dealers and two n
Brokers to get a written detailed firm bid. Make certain they are all bidding on same spec. Before you start this know how you will finance the purchase (cash buy, your bank, or Subaru. L ow your credit score that they are basing it on
At that point it is simply getting choosing the seller offering the lowest price. You will need to determine if you are going to order a new car or buy off lot, which changes the process. I saved thousands on my Limited with this process.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wanted to buy the 2019 but waited to get the 2020 only because "new" model car tend to have "problems" and gives the manufacturer time to work out the kinks. After reading here for a while it seems like the 2019's have a few issues....so I just waited for the 2020...no problems 3 months in and about 3,000 miles later...knock on wood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

It sounds like you already know the features you want. I would suggest talking to three dealers and two n
Brokers to get a written detailed firm bid. Make certain they are all bidding on same spec. Before you start this know how you will finance the purchase (cash buy, your bank, or Subaru. L ow your credit score that they are basing it on
At that point it is simply getting choosing the seller offering the lowest price. You will need to determine if you are going to order a new car or buy off lot, which changes the process. I saved thousands on my Limited with this process.
I would definitely buy of the lot, there are plenty of 2020 models. Pretty much color is only option that I care about.

promotional 0.9% rate sounds great.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Thanks.

I would definitely buy of the lot, there are plenty of 2020 models. Pretty much color is only option that I care about.

promotional 0.9% rate sounds great.
The just request a bid in the color you want with the features you want and see the bids come in. You can get service from anywhere so do not worry about buying from one dealer and servicing elsewhere. You can also buy from a auto broker who will deal with the dealer directly and offer a very competitive rate. Just let them know you have your own financing. Pay attention to all the details in the bid to make sure they are based on the same features and color. Very often you will have some more difficult time comparing vehicle to vehicle off the lot since they are already configured.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Greetings,
I'd go with the 2020.

I had a good experience with True Car through AAA. That resulted in offers from 3 dealerships. I also sent out feelers to other dealers via their own web pages. Ended up custom ordering to get exactly what I wanted for a good price.

I recall the moonroof being part of an added package for my 2019 Limited. I don't recall if that was the case with the Navigation. That might be baked in. By the way, if you don't want the leather seats with memory, you can scale up a Premium to all of the same features as a Limited. (I think)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greetings,
I'd go with the 2020.

I had a good experience with True Car through AAA. That resulted in offers from 3 dealerships. I also sent out feelers to other dealers via their own web pages. Ended up custom ordering to get exactly what I wanted for a good price.

I recall the moonroof being part of an added package for my 2019 Limited. I don't recall if that was the case with the Navigation. That might be baked in. By the way, if you don't want the leather seats with memory, you can scale up a Premium to all of the same features as a Limited. (I think)
Thank you for the response.

Is there a good reason to avoid '19, I mean I've been following the forum for a few issues, but did they really fix all that for '20 model. If you think they did I'd gladly go for '20 for better peace of mind.

Only reason I'd go with '19 is to get better price. They still have couple of them in my area. I really want leather for ease of use with kids. It seems like there are bunch of '20 models available, I guess I could really work a good deal, but financing .9% is until the 2nd of January. that saves a grand or more, there is no way I can find better with a bank.

·
Registered
137 Posts
From reading all the problems with the transmission, it seems Subaru had done the right thing with those owners and replaced transmissions. I know some builds were not part of the "bad batch" of the 2019's but I just felt I'd rather wait for the 2020 model to come out and then bought that one. I'm sure Subaru made adjustments in the 2020's knowing what the issues were with those "bad batch" of 2019's.

0.9% is a great financing deal without a doubt...another reason to go with the 2020 in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thank you for the response.

Is there a good reason to avoid '19, I mean I've been following the forum for a few issues, but did they really fix all that for '20 model. If you think they did I'd gladly go for '20 for better peace of mind.

Only reason I'd go with '19 is to get better price. They still have couple of them in my area. I really want leather for ease of use with kids. It seems like there are bunch of '20 models available, I guess I could really work a good deal, but financing .9% is until the 2nd of January. that saves a grand or more, there is no way I can find better with a bank.
You're welcome.

Just my personal opinion, and plenty of folks will disagree one way or another...
You are probably okay with either the 19 or the 20. But, as you can see from the forum posts about the multiple recalls involving reprogramming different things, it does seem that Subaru has worked some kinks out of the system. I'm glad some things got worked out, and I don't plan to ditch my '19 Limited, but I'd still feel better about the reliability of the 2020 model.

Of course, the price difference is an important part of that equation.

As for price, I bought mine last March and have no idea about the current market forces. I was able to get a price below invoice through True Car and subsequent email bartering. You can find threads on the forum about VIP pricing that might be helpful. And if this isn't your first Subaru, you might be able to get a loyalty coupon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.