Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
2021limited seven, owner for 30 k no problem whatsoever .
Had 2020 premium for 15 k( totaled) no problem there too . I wander. What's the reason why you wanna get rid of the Mazda ?
Thanks for the reply.

Nobody beats Mazda for driving dynamics. Drives much smaller than it's size. Fun.

That said, the infotainment system is really sluggish and buggy, camera quality is poor, seats are hard as a rock (I really expected them to soften a little over time) and I feel a little claustrophobic in it. It's a cockpit-like feel. Not a very commanding view of the road because it sits a little lower than most SUVs. And they made a poor decision to not lighten (in color) the upper half of the interior. The pillars and headliner are all black as is every other interior component including seats, carpet, dash, etc.. Honestly, thought I would get used to it, but I didn't. It's a little suffocating over time.

How has the infotainment system worked for you in the Ascent? Quick to conect? Easy to move from source to source? Stays connected as it should?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
9000 miles on my 2022 Onyx and not a hiccup. I did swap out the crap OEM 20" wheels & tires for 18s with Micheli CC2s. Other than that, just weatherproof mats, crossbars, etc.
Great! Did you install your own crossbars? I would probably be adding crossbars and a trailer hitch package. I'm game to tackle smaller projects as long as I can find a Youtube video to follow, lol

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
At this point there are no issues with any of the Ascent model years including the 2019 Limited, which I own (53000 Rocky Mountain miles) but I am trading for the 2023. The recall and warranty work did its job and I have had no issues. Warranty work included - Battery replaced for free (battery of my choice -no issues since), brake pads replaced - no issues since, cooling tube replaced early on - no issues since.
Really good to hear. How has your experience been using the infotainment system? Inutitive, quick to load, etc. Curious especially related to plugging in and using Android Auto. Does it connect pretty quickly and reliably? Horrible experience in the CX-9, so I definitely want to improve on that.

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,479 Posts
Really good to hear. How has your experience been using the infotainment system? Inutitive, quick to load, etc. Curious especially related to plugging in and using Android Auto. Does it connect pretty quickly and reliably? Horrible experience in the CX-9, so I definitely want to improve on that.
early on I had some problems with AA, but I determined this was due to operator error. There is a very specific sequence for connecting and disconnecting. Never a problem since. Use the sequence and a good cable and you should not have any issues. I connected with a Galaxy 10. I used a 90 degree cable fo rmy galaxy 10 since it fit perfectly in the open slot above the shifter. On occasion I would route the cable into the armrest console and store the phone in there while driving. The console has two slots for cable routing in and out of it while the top is closed.

My 2019 info system was pretty intuitive. I rarely made changes in the setup. I typically switched radio stations, media source and AA for mapping. I know I will prefer my 2019 AVH option versus the changes they made in the 2023, but it is not going to kill me. I never had a problem with loading the infotainment screen and the response was always prompt.

I never focused on loading my contacts from my phone since I always had it plugged in for AA. I simply used voice commands for making calls, mapping and texting.

· Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,712 Posts
And they made a poor decision to not lighten (in color) the upper half of the interior. The pillars and headliner are all black
I actually backed out of buying the 2020 CX9 because of the black interior components which made no sense at all because I was buying the sand (beige) leather interior. My 2010 Mazda 6 with sand leather had matching roof pillars, headliner and door inserts. In Florida I won't drive anything with that much black inside.

I never focused on loading my contacts from my phone since I always had it plugged in for AA.
Strangely, my contacts loaded invisibly when I regularly used Bluetooth but when I started using AA regularly the contacts disappeared from the head unit. When I don't plug in, no contacts anymore.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
I actually backed out of buying the 2020 CX9 because of the black interior components which made no sense at all because I was buying the sand (beige) leather interior. My 2010 Mazda 6 with sand leather had matching roof pillars, headliner and door inserts. In Florida I won't drive anything with that much black inside.

Strangely, my contacts loaded invisibly when I regularly used Bluetooth but when I started using AA regularly the contacts disappeared from the head unit. When I don't plug in, no contacts anymore.
It was not important enough to me so I had not pursued any investigation but your explanation makes sense. I would think there is a way to have it saved through connections and disconnections of the cable. This is something I will be asking about at my 2023 delivery tech tour.

· Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
953 Posts
Great! Did you install your own crossbars? I would probably be adding crossbars and a trailer hitch package. I'm game to tackle smaller projects as long as I can find a Youtube video to follow, lol
Crossbars are a 10 minute DIY job. I had the OEM hitch installed by the dealer, sort of a "closer" to seal the deal There are youtube videos for the hitch make sure it is the OEM hitch.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My 2019 info system was pretty intuitive. I rarely made changes in the setup. I typically switched radio stations, media source and AA for mapping. I know I will prefer my 2019 AVH option versus the changes they made in the 2023, but it is not going to kill me. I never had a problem with loading the infotainment screen and the response was always prompt.
One annoyance I had in the CX-9 was how buggy the infotainment system was. For example, when receiving a phone call, I had a few occasions where it totally mishandled cutting sound from whatever source I was playing (radio, podcast, etc.). It would have the phone call going in one speaker and the other source playing in another...essentially talking/playing over each other. Also, on several occasions, it would sort of reboot itself (Mazda logo buffering on screen) and when it would return, I lost all my pre-sets, stored favorites, etc.

Are these issues an AA thing in general or was it specific to my experience in the CX-9? Anything like this happen in the Ascent? I get electronics can sometimes be a little glitchy, but sheesh.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
One annoyance I had in the CX-9 was how buggy the infotainment system was. For example, when receiving a phone call, I had a few occasions where it totally mishandled cutting sound from whatever source I was playing (radio, podcast, etc.). It would have the phone call going in one speaker and the other source playing in another...essentially talking/playing over each other. Also, on several occasions, it would sort of reboot itself (Mazda logo buffering on screen) and when it would return, I lost all my pre-sets, stored favorites, etc.

Are these issues an AA thing in general or was it specific to my experience in the CX-9? Anything like this happen in the Ascent? I get electronics can sometimes be a little glitchy, but sheesh.
My AA experience was mostly that it behaved well.

· Registered
2021 ascent limited ice silver
159 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Nobody beats Mazda for driving dynamics. Drives much smaller than it's size. Fun.

That said, the infotainment system is really sluggish and buggy, camera quality is poor, seats are hard as a rock (I really expected them to soften a little over time) and I feel a little claustrophobic in it. It's a cockpit-like feel. Not a very commanding view of the road because it sits a little lower than most SUVs. And they made a poor decision to not lighten (in color) the upper half of the interior. The pillars and headliner are all black as is every other interior component including seats, carpet, dash, etc.. Honestly, thought I would get used to it, but I didn't. It's a little suffocating over time.

How has the infotainment system worked for you in the Ascent? Quick to conect? Easy to move from source to source? Stays connected as it should?
I'm not too much in the technology 😁
Did you drive the Ascent ?
I personally like the driving of this rather large car . No problem with phones or Google maps on mine, that's all I've been using.😊text to speech is ok and backwards too, Adaptive CC is just great. Don't like the line center.
GPS TomTom is just Garbage 🗑.
And still working on upgrades 😁

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm not too much in the technology 😁
Did you drive the Ascent ?
I personally like the driving of this rather large car . No problem with phones or Google maps on mine, that's all I've been using.😊text to speech is ok and backwards too, Adaptive CC is just great. Don't like the line center.
GPS TomTom is just Garbage 🗑.
And still working on upgrades 😁
Thanks for your reply. I did drive it several times in 2020 when I ultimately decided on the CX-9. And I've driven a couple used ones recently. I'm considering the Ascent again because I generally like it and think it might be the better value in the 3 row SUV market.

Do you mean you don't care for the lane centering feature? Glad you've had a good experience with adaptive CC. Some have suggested it has been a little unreliable in terms of picking up cars moving into the lane. Dangerous. And I've read that they've made improvements to Eyesight (to make it see better?) in the 2023s, so maybe Subaru was hearing the same feedback. That feature worked well in the CX-9 and I used it a lot.

I'm definitely in the market as I pulled the trigger on the sale of my CX-9 last week. Now to figure our whether to sift through remaining 2022 Ascent options or wait on the 2023.

· Registered
953 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I did drive it several times in 2020 when I ultimately decided on the CX-9. And I've driven a couple used ones recently. I'm considering the Ascent again because I generally like it and think it might be the better value in the 3 row SUV market.

Do you mean you don't care for the lane centering feature? Glad you've had a good experience with adaptive CC. Some have suggested it has been a little unreliable in terms of picking up cars moving into the lane. Dangerous. And I've read that they've made improvements to Eyesight (to make it see better?) in the 2023s, so maybe Subaru was hearing the same feedback. That feature worked well in the CX-9 and I used it a lot.

I'm definitely in the market as I pulled the trigger on the sale of my CX-9 last week. Now to figure our whether to sift through remaining 2022 Ascent options or wait on the 2023.
I have the same issue with lane keep/centering. It wants to hug the center white line when I'm in the right lane. Very disconcerting when an 18 wheeler is 18 inches away. I rarely use it, but the Adaptive CC seems spot on and you can adjust the distance to the car ahead. Not sure if you are aware, but the 2023 has a larger info screen and it has eliminated many of the manual knobs for tuning, volume, HVAC, etc. I don't know if that is a plus or a minus. I'm not aware of any significant powertrain differences in the 2022 vs 2023.

Another consideration is that you will be eating a years worth of depreciation if you buy a 2022 now. Not a factor if you plan on keeping it long-term, but if you trade in 2 or 3 years it might factor in.

Happy Hunting!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have the same issue with lane keep/centering. It wants to hug the center white line when I'm in the right lane. Very disconcerting when an 18 wheeler is 18 inches away. I rarely use it, but the Adaptive CC seems spot on and you can adjust the distance to the car ahead. Not sure if you are aware, but the 2023 has a larger info screen and it has eliminated many of the manual knobs for tuning, volume, HVAC, etc. I don't know if that is a plus or a minus. I'm not aware of any significant powertrain differences in the 2022 vs 2023.

Another consideration is that you will be eating a years worth of depreciation if you buy a 2022 now. Not a factor if you plan on keeping it long-term, but if you trade in 2 or 3 years it might factor in.

Happy Hunting!
You just got a jump on my next question...the primary differences between the 2022 and 2023. Here's what I've gathered:

2023 gains:
1. New front and rear bumper, headlight and taillight freshening
2. Larger, higher rez infotainment screen with more virtual buttons and fewer physical buttons. (After having to change out the screen in my old Prius, I swore I would do my best to avoid cars that place almost every function behind virtual buttons...so I don't love this change at all).
3. Different button layout on steering wheel controls. Better/more functional?
4. Improved Eyesight functionality to handle a wider variety of conditions (according to Subaru). I'm not really sure what the practical, noticeable improves will be.
5. AVH has no memory. It resets to off when you turn off the car.

What am I missing?

As far as depreciation on the 2022s, the goal would be to negotiate on a 2022 to have the dealer eat most or all of that depreciation. How successful that approach will be is to be determined, lol. Plus the 2023s made a pretty significant jump in price it seems.

· Registered
2022 Ascent Premium 7 Passenger / Previous car: Outback 2013 2.5l Manual transmission 170K
168 Posts
You just got a jump on my next question...the primary differences between the 2022 and 2023. Here's what I've gathered:

2023 gains:
2. Larger, higher rez infotainment screen with more virtual buttons and fewer physical buttons. (After having to change out the screen in my old Prius, I swore I would do my best to avoid cars that place almost every function behind virtual buttons...so I don't love this change at all).
4. Improved Eyesight functionality to handle a wider variety of conditions (according to Subaru). I'm not really sure what the practical, noticeable improves will be.

What am I missing?

As far as depreciation on the 2022s, the goal would be to negotiate on a 2022 to have the dealer eat most or all of that depreciation. How successful that approach will be is to be determined, lol. Plus the 2023s made a pretty significant jump in price it seems.
I really like AVH and I would be very upset if I had to reactivate it every single time I get into the car. This option might be adjustable.

· Registered
953 Posts
I really like AVH and I would be very upset if I had to reactivate it every single time I get into the car. This option might be adjustable.
Agree, I'd hate to lose the AVH "on" as the default. It's a nice feature that Studebaker introduced in the early 1950's as the "Hill Holder". Everything old is new again.;)

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Agree, I'd hate to lose the AVH "on" as the default. It's a nice feature that Studebaker introduced in the early 1950's as the "Hill Holder". Everything old is new again.;)
In the CX-9, I had to activate AVH on each occasion. It always turned off when I turned the car off. It wasn't a big deal to me. I didn't use it 100% of the time and there was a physical on/off button right next to the gear shifter, so it was easy to activate when needed.

· Registered
953 Posts
In the CX-9, I had to activate AVH on each occasion. It always turned off when I turned the car off. It wasn't a big deal to me. I didn't use it 100% of the time and there was a physical on/off button right next to the gear shifter, so it was easy to activate when needed.
The AVH button is just above the shifter in my 2022 Ascent, but "always on" is the default, which I appreciate, it's a feature that I don't see a reason to switch off.

· Registered
455 Posts

2023 gains:

What am I missing?

1. I like the front end better (y)
2. I was skeptical of losing the 'knobs', but am perfectly good with the big screen. Physical up/down buttons for the heat is a good thing. Two things, I don't like are that the tuning knob can't be used to scroll down through menu settings and there is no back button. An example would be if the radio was on and I initiate a phone call. When the call is done, it doesn't go back to the radio nor is their a back button to get to where you were. you have to hit the home button and then go back to where you were. ..Overall though, it's much better (y)
3. Steering wheel layout? MUCH better! (y) The 22 system, from the steering wheel info sets to center dashboard display was pretty clumsy. Settings for all car stuff are in the touchscreen, where they always should of been IMO.
4. Eyesight upgrades? The infrared camera for setting up driver profiles and alerts for staying on the road or getting drowzy (y) Also allows setting a default on a driver phone (I set for my wife). If I get in the car and it sets my seat stuff upon recogniton, it will ask me if I want to activate this profile right away. I say yes and my phone is then hooked up (y)
5. AVH? A meaningless thing for me
6. Cruise control taps down by 1 mph increments now instead of 5 mph. You need to hold down for the 5 mph increments. Having used both these feature changes for 700 miles now. I like the new way better....and we've had a couple vehicles now with the 5 mph tap up and down. (2006 Passat 4-Motion) (y)
7. Cabin connect works pretty slick (y)
8. 360 camera? We never had it in our last one so can't compare for newer features....But this works pretty slick! Going into reverse also produces a split screen showing both sides of the car and then the standard back up camera on the left side. (y)

Depreciation? We accomplished that goal on our trade in...based on KBB today. We were locked in mid August and drove another 2K miles before our 11/3/22 pick up of the new one.(y)

I'm more than satisfied that this was a good move for us! The mid run refresh was a good thing and a good thing for us to buy (y)

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
1. I like the front end better (y)
2. I was skeptical of losing the 'knobs', but am perfectly good with the big screen. Physical up/down buttons for the heat is a good thing. Two things, I don't like are that the tuning knob can't be used to scroll down through menu settings and there is no back button. An example would be if the radio was on and I initiate a phone call. When the call is done, it doesn't go back to the radio nor is their a back button to get to where you were. you have to hit the home button and then go back to where you were. ..Overall though, it's much better (y)
3. Steering wheel layout? MUCH better! (y) The 22 system, from the steering wheel info sets to center dashboard display was pretty clumsy. Settings for all car stuff are in the touchscreen, where they always should of been IMO.
4. Eyesight upgrades? The infrared camera for setting up driver profiles and alerts for staying on the road or getting drowzy (y) Also allows setting a default on a driver phone (I set for my wife). If I get in the car and it sets my seat stuff upon recogniton, it will ask me if I want to activate this profile right away. I say yes and my phone is then hooked up (y)
5. AVH? A meaningless thing for me
6. Cruise control taps down by 1 mph increments now instead of 5 mph. You need to hold down for the 5 mph increments. Having used both these feature changes for 700 miles now. I like the new way better....and we've had a couple vehicles now with the 5 mph tap up and down. (2006 Passat 4-Motion) (y)
7. Cabin connect works pretty slick (y)
8. 360 camera? We never had it in our last one so can't compare for newer features....But this works pretty slick! Going into reverse also produces a split screen showing both sides of the car and then the standard back up camera on the left side. (y)

Depreciation? We accomplished that goal on our trade in...based on KBB today. We were locked in mid August and drove another 2K miles before our 11/3/22 pick up of the new one.(y)

I'm more than satisfied that this was a good move for us! The mid run refresh was a good thing and a good thing for us to buy (y)
Great feedback. Thanks for your detailed reply!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts