Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I'm contemplating the purchase of a 2021 or 2022 Ascent. Here's my tale:

In 2020, I shopped for a new 3 row SUV. Did my due diligence and narrowed down to the Ascent and the car I ultimately purchased...the Mazda CX-9. I'm now thinking of trading it for a new vehicle, possibly the Ascent. We typically keep our cars forever, so this is uncharted territory for me. I want to get it right.

So my research suggests the 2019 and (to a lesser extent) the 2020 Ascent had major reliability issues, lots of recalls, etc. Not entirely unexpected for a new model. So here are my (loaded) questions:

1. Major differences between 2021 and 2022 model years. Power folding mirrors?

2. Have there been updates/improvements to Eyesight and transmission function. I've readyEyesight is finicky and unreliable, especially when in radar controlled cruise control. Does Subaru wait for major redesigns to improve/update the safety systems? Have they made changes to improve these systems?

3. Are the transmission issues from the 2019/20 model years resolved. Read of lurching, searching for power, subaru replacements, etc.?

4. Early on, there seemed to be lots of complaints about underpowered AC system, cracked compressor lines, etc? Any issues among owner of the new model years?

Any other concerns I should consider? The Ascent strikes me as a decent value in the 3 row SUV market, but sometimes bargains can be expensive (I've learned that the hard way). Just curious what the trends are with the 2021 and 2022. I place a lot of value on a car's reliability which, ironically, is what drew me to the Ascent in 2020. Thanks for indulging me and helping me find some clarity. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I'm not a complete stranger to the Subaru purchase experience. In the summer of 2021, my recently widowed mother-in-law needed help with a new car purchase. I took her everywhere and test drove all the usual suspects leading the class in the small suv market - CRV, RAV4, Forrester, etc.. We loved the Forrester. It just fit well, felt open and drove great. We negotiated a good deal, she drove it home and has loved it ever since. Subaru dealers know how to treat customers. She felt like a VIP, the vehicle education process was extensive and the after sale follow-up was top notch. It caught my attention, lol.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
259 Posts
I had a 21 Touring for 15 months and now have a 22 Touring. Sold the 21 for what I paid and got the 22 because I really wanted white with Java interior.

I never had issues with the transmission, AC, or anything else. Both the 21 and 22 have power folding mirrors on the Touring. The only real difference between both years I've found is the heated steering wheel - in the 22 the top section of the wheel is heated but not on the 21. That's the only difference. Really, the 21 and 22 are virtually identical.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Premium 7 Passenger / Previous car: Outback 2013 2.5l Manual transmission 170K
168 Posts
I have a 2022 with 17k miles on it and we had no issue whatsoever. We love the car. Did 5k road trip across the US with our 2 boys and everybody loved it. You can check some of my previous post for the different option I added to make it more suitable to my needs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
We bought a 22 Ascent Limited last year and liked so much we upped the ante and bought a 23 on 11/3. The 22 saw 13,000 miles, almost all highway, including a yearly 5K mile trip. We had zero issues. While the used / trade in market is slipping some we were able to upgrade for a modest amount of money.

AC worked just fine as did all Eyesight features. No safety system can pick up every weather and road condition. We see them all and were very satisfied. The adaptive crusie worked just slick! Tranny worked fine too.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,255 Posts
Each new model year brings enhancements and attention to "lessons learned". Both MY21 and MY22 Ascents are very nice vehicles with MY22 obviously having some enhancements over the previous model year, including little things like the heated steering wheel, on trims that include it, heating the entire wheel.

And while it might seem that MY19 and MY20 buyers suffered a lot, the actual percentage of folks who were materially affected by some quality things is a lot smaller than it might seem from online discussions, etc. No worries.

Of course, if you are looking at MY21 and MY22, you're likely shopping pre-owned so be sure that it's either CPO or has been looked at and you check the maintenance records. IE, the normal due-diligence for any used vehicle purchase. You may be able to find a MY22 "new", but that opportunity is waning fast since MY23 has been in production for a couple of months and deliveries have started. You may also want to weigh the cost of pre-owned vs the cost of new while making your decision. There may be some moderation in used vehicle prices now, but they gap between used and new is still relatively close for recent model year used.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a 21 Touring for 15 months and now have a 22 Touring. Sold the 21 for what I paid and got the 22 because I really wanted white with Java interior.

I never had issues with the transmission, AC, or anything else. Both the 21 and 22 have power folding mirrors on the Touring. The only real difference between both years I've found is the heated steering wheel - in the 22 the top section of the wheel is heated but not on the 21. That's the only difference. Really, the 21 and 22 are virtually identical.
Thank for your reply. Do you use the cruise control much? A few members of the forum mentioned some frightening experiences when Eyesight didn't pick up a car moving into their lane and failed to slow. Have any experiences like that?

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
259 Posts
Thank for your reply. Do you use the cruise control much? A few members of the forum mentioned some frightening experiences when Eyesight didn't pick up a car moving into their lane and failed to slow. Have any experiences like that?
I've used it quite a bit. No problems. I just drive from home in TN to FL yesterday. Used the cruise on I95 where the drivers and traffic are crazy. It worked fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2022 with 17k miles on it and we had no issue whatsoever. We love the car. Did 5k road trip across the US with our 2 boys and everybody loved it. You can check some of my previous post for the different option I added to make it more suitable to my needs.
Do you use the cruise control much? A few members of the forum mentioned some frightening experiences when Eyesight didn't pick up a car moving into their lane and failed to slow. Have you had any experiences like that? Also, one pet peeve with my CX-9 is how slow the infotainment system loads, especially when pluggin in for android auto. Is the infotainment system pretty snappy in the Ascent? Any quirks?

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Premium 7 Passenger / Previous car: Outback 2013 2.5l Manual transmission 170K
168 Posts
I love the cruise control for long trip or for slow moving traffic on the highway. On smaller roads it is a bit tricky to use it because some cars might be coming into traffic from any intersection and indeed the eyesight got a little lost in this case. But again, it is here to assist you and not to drive for you, so I am fine with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We bought a 22 Ascent Limited last year and liked so much we upped the ante and bought a 23 on 11/3. The 22 saw 13,000 miles, almost all highway, including a yearly 5K mile trip. We had zero issues. While the used / trade in market is slipping some we were able to upgrade for a modest amount of money.

AC worked just fine as did all Eyesight features. No safety system can pick up every weather and road condition. We see them all and were very satisfied. The adaptive crusie worked just slick! Tranny worked fine too.
Nice! What motivated the move to the 23 Ascent? Is the infotainment system snappy and intuitive? It takes forever for mine to load in the CX-9. Camera quality is pretty bad, too, but I'm not watching movies on it, lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Each new model year brings enhancements and attention to "lessons learned". Both MY21 and MY22 Ascents are very nice vehicles with MY22 obviously having some enhancements over the previous model year, including little things like the heated steering wheel, on trims that include it, heating the entire wheel.

And while it might seem that MY19 and MY20 buyers suffered a lot, the actual percentage of folks who were materially affected by some quality things is a lot smaller than it might seem from online discussions, etc. No worries.

Of course, if you are looking at MY21 and MY22, you're likely shopping pre-owned so be sure that it's either CPO or has been looked at and you check the maintenance records. IE, the normal due-diligence for any used vehicle purchase. You may be able to find a MY22 "new", but that opportunity is waning fast since MY23 has been in production for a couple of months and deliveries have started. You may also want to weigh the cost of pre-owned vs the cost of new while making your decision. There may be some moderation in used vehicle prices now, but they gap between used and new is still relatively close for recent model year used.
Thanks. I always try to keep in mind that people are more likely to hop online and complain than they are to share how happy they are. In this case, especially with the 19 and 20 model years, the track record wasn't good with all the recalls, the hit those years took in Consumer Reports reliability ratings, etc.. Just looking for reassurance that several years in, Subaru has "worked out the bugs".

Sounds like you're advocating trying to find new because used car prices ares still pretty inflated? There are a handful out there. It just might mean a little travel or finding a local dealer willing to DX one in. Of course I hate paying retail (esp. for a 2022 which is basicallly a 1 year old car as soon as you drive it off the lot with 23s now hitting the lots), so that has the potential to be a problem as well, lol

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
934 Posts
9000 miles on my 2022 Onyx and not a hiccup. I did swap out the crap OEM 20" wheels & tires for 18s with Micheli CC2s. Other than that, just weatherproof mats, crossbars, etc.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nice! What motivated the move to the 23 Ascent? Is the infotainment system snappy and intuitive? It takes forever for mine to load in the CX-9. Camera quality is pretty bad, too, but I'm not watching movies on it, lol.
The market was still somewhat positive for making a move like that. Have never done it before. Plus, I was very pleased with the front end refresh, much better IT system, and added safety available with the Limited. All car settings are now accessed through the touchscreen.

The infotainment is pretty snappy and intuitive and better than last year. It loads fast enough for me. I don't have experience with every system out there, but overall I think the Chrysler Uconnect is still a bit better thought out. Many here use Car Play and Android Auto only so it's possible my comments may be a bit outdated? Both those systems are Bluetooth and we are hooked up to use Android Auto whenever we want to

The camera works fine.. Last year too.

We are very pleased with the 23. I think there may some dealers willing to do under MSRP.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The market was still somewhat positive for making a move like that. Have never done it before. Plus, I was very pleased with the front end refresh, much better IT system, and added safety available with the Limited. All car settings are now accessed through the touchscreen.

The infotainment is pretty snappy and intuitive and better than last year. It loads fast enough for me. I don't have experience with every system out there, but overall I think the Chrysler Uconnect is still a bit better thought out. Many here use Car Play and Android Auto only so it's possible my comments may be a bit outdated? Both those systems are Bluetooth and we are hooked up to use Android Auto whenever we want to

The camera works fine.. Last year too.

We are very pleased with the 23. I think there may some dealers willing to do under MSRP.
We went from a 2020 Chrysler pacifica hybrid with the previous uconnect infotainment system to a 2022 chrysler pacifica hyrbid with the new, larger screen uconnect system (included wireless android auto). IMHO, the new system is inferior. It's slower, disconnects/gets stuck randomly, and takes more steps than before for simple actions. For example, turning on heated steering wheel/seats is buried in menus and oddly not part of the climate menu. Also you can't customize the 'home' buttons along the bottom of the screen anymore, so at minimum everything is at least 1 more action than before...

Anyway, I've been really eager to get our 2023 Ascent to see how the infotainment systems compare. From what I've seen online the 11.x" screen in the new Ascent's looks much better overall. You can see way more on the screen with the split screen functionality with much of the climate stuff always displayed (and somewhat customizable).

·
Registered
426 Posts
We went from a 2020 Chrysler pacifica hybrid with the previous uconnect infotainment system to a 2022 chrysler pacifica hyrbid with the new, larger screen uconnect system (included wireless android auto). IMHO, the new system is inferior. It's slower, disconnects/gets stuck randomly, and takes more steps than before for simple actions. For example, turning on heated steering wheel/seats is buried in menus and oddly not part of the climate menu. Also you can't customize the 'home' buttons along the bottom of the screen anymore, so at minimum everything is at least 1 more action than before...

Anyway, I've been really eager to get our 2023 Ascent to see how the infotainment systems compare. From what I've seen online the 11.x" screen in the new Ascent's looks much better overall. You can see way more on the screen with the split screen functionality with much of the climate stuff always displayed (and somewhat customizable).
Good to know. I assumed newer would be better. I guess the 2013-16 Uconnect was better than the new. Our 16 Charger has the heated steering wheel and seats pop up as soon as you turn the car on. Not Bluetooth but zero lag. All driver screen info able to be customized and much more of it than the Ascent

Unless I've more to learn (and that certainly could be).. What the new Ascent doesn't seem to be able to do is allow you to return to the screen you were on. In essence, no back button. You have to always return to the home screen. It also doesn't allow a scroll feature with the tuning knob except for playing a folder of songs. These are minor shortcomings, but sometimes there's no reason to reinvent something that has worked just fine for a long time.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,440 Posts
Greetings. I'm contemplating the purchase of a 2021 or 2022 Ascent. Here's my tale:

In 2020, I shopped for a new 3 row SUV. Did my due diligence and narrowed down to the Ascent and the car I ultimately purchased...the Mazda CX-9. I'm now thinking of trading it for a new vehicle, possibly the Ascent. We typically keep our cars forever, so this is uncharted territory for me. I want to get it right.

So my research suggests the 2019 and (to a lesser extent) the 2020 Ascent had major reliability issues, lots of recalls, etc. Not entirely unexpected for a new model. So here are my (loaded) questions:

2. Have there been updates/improvements to Eyesight and transmission function. I've readyEyesight is finicky and unreliable, especially when in radar controlled cruise control. Does Subaru wait for major redesigns to improve/update the safety systems? Have they made changes to improve these systems?

3. Are the transmission issues from the 2019/20 model years resolved. Read of lurching, searching for power, subaru replacements, etc.?

4. Early on, there seemed to be lots of complaints about underpowered AC system, cracked compressor lines, etc? Any issues among owner of the new model years?

Any other concerns I should consider? The Ascent strikes me as a decent value in the 3 row SUV market, but sometimes bargains can be expensive (I've learned that the hard way). Just curious what the trends are with the 2021 and 2022. I place a lot of value on a car's reliability which, ironically, is what drew me to the Ascent in 2020. Thanks for indulging me and helping me find some clarity. I appreciate it.
At this point there are no issues with any of the Ascent model years including the 2019 Limited, which I own (53000 Rocky Mountain miles) but I am trading for the 2023. The recall and warranty work did its job and I have had no issues. Warranty work included - Battery replaced for free (battery of my choice -no issues since), brake pads replaced - no issues since, cooling tube replaced early on - no issues since.

·
Registered
2021 ascent limited ice silver
159 Posts

2021limited seven, owner for 30 k no problem whatsoever .
Had 2020 premium for 15 k( totaled) no problem there too . I wander. What's the reason why you wanna get rid of the Mazda ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts