Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I ordered a 2020 Ascent Premium 7 seater with convenience package, popular option 3 and a trailer hitch

Dealer received the vehicle sans hitch and had to order the part and install it.

My concern is that they are saying the part is a 1.25" receiver, and that the 2" adapter is an extra part.

Can anyone confirm this? @Robert.Mauro ? I literally configured this car on subaru's website, and sent them a link to it. I selected 'Trailer Hitch' option, but there is no mention of receiver size beyond 500lbs tongue weight/5000 load capacity

Any comments are more than appreciated! They install this part tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
No way it would be 1.25" unless the dealer is installing some aftermarket hitch receiver. The Subaru trailer hitch option, whether installed at the factory or at the dealer, is a 2". Maybe someone can chime in with a part number for you to show the dealer, or you can find that by searching the forum.

In the meantime, you can safely tell the dealer that the factory hitch is 2", the factory hitch is all you will accept, and the dealer is only wasting labor if they are installing a non-Subaru Ascent factory hitch because they will be replacing it with the right one soon enough!

F.S.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Funny, I went round and around with my dealer asking the sales guys, parts guys and service guys and they all swore up and down that Subaru only has 1.25" hitches. I pointed out that 1.25" hitches (max 3500lb) are not rated to 5000 lb so it would have to be 2". Nope. They were not convinced. I finally insisted that parts pull one off the shelf, open up the box and look at it. It was indeed 2". They gave me a deal on the install.

And this was Aug 2019 and they were a big dealer. You'd think they'd know. They must have installed a bunch by then. There was nowhere in any documentation that I could find where it said the hitch was 2".

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
Situations like this almost make me laugh...if it wasn't so sad for the poor customer I would. The same dealer will probably claim that the OEM hitch receiver for the new MY20 Outback is a 1.25" receiver, but that's also incorrect...it's 2" which is a heck of a lot more convenient for folks, even though on that vehicle it's not technically needed for the maximum towing capacity for the XT. As has been noted, Ascent with a 5000 lb towing capacity requires a 2" Class III receiver to be able to support the full capacity of the specification. That's not negotiable...it's how the standards work. I hope you slap that dealer up-side their heads!

Reactions: Sirk98

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Hi!

I ordered a 2020 Ascent Premium 7 seater with convenience package, popular option 3 and a trailer hitch

Dealer received the vehicle sans hitch and had to order the part and install it.

My concern is that they are saying the part is a 1.25" receiver, and that the 2" adapter is an extra part.

Can anyone confirm this? @Robert.Mauro ? I literally configured this car on subaru's website, and sent them a link to it. I selected 'Trailer Hitch' option, but there is no mention of receiver size beyond 500lbs tongue weight/5000 load capacity

Any comments are more than appreciated! They install this part tomorrow!!!
EDIT: I just caught up on the rest of the thread. Glad they (you) have it figured out.

Previous response:
That's absolutely not an OEM hitch (I wouldn't get anything else), or they don't know the OEM specs.

Make sure they are ordering PN L101SXC004 - otherwise it's not a Subaru hitch. If they ARE ordering that, then, it is a 2" receiver and no adapter is necessary.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
And make sure they installed the 4 pin and 7 pin wiring connectors with your hitch. Also, the cover is held on with two hand twist clips. These are the ones;
speed clips

Then ask for the instruction / install sheet for your records.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts