Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pop in and say how cool it is to have found this forum. I work at the factory in Lafayette, IN where the Ascent, Outback, Legacy and Impreza is built. I have owned Subaru’s for 7 years now since I started working here. I started with an Impreza when I was a temporary worker with limited funds. I quickly outgrew it with a growing family and moved into an outback and currently a Forester XT. I just ordered an Ascent 2 weeks ago and hope to take delivery in a few more weeks. Please feel free to ask me questions that you have and I’ll try my best to answer them. Just keep in mind I can’t answer anything about upcoming models or rumors as I have a wonderful job and wouldn’t want to risk it by discussing any secrets on a public forum of all places. Anyway nice to meet everyone and glad to have found such a collection of information and resources. I can’t wait to take delivery of my Cinnamon touring model!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pop in and say how cool it is to have found this forum. I work at the factory in Lafayette, IN where the Ascent, Outback, Legacy and Impreza is built. I have owned Subaru’s for 7 years now since I started working here. I started with an Impreza when I was a temporary worker with limited funds. I quickly outgrew it with a growing family and moved into an outback and currently a Forester XT. I just ordered an Ascent 2 weeks ago and hope to take delivery in a few more weeks. Please feel free to ask me questions that you have and I’ll try my best to answer them. Just keep in mind I can’t answer anything about upcoming models or rumors as I have a wonderful job and wouldn’t want to risk it by discussing any secrets on a public forum of all places. Anyway nice to meet everyone and glad to have found such a collection of information and resources. I can’t wait to take delivery of my Cinnamon touring model!

Great choice of color! Congrats! We love our Cinnamon Brown Pearl Touring! Just curious, what do you do at the factory? Will you have the opportunity to follow(keep track) of your Ascent down the production line as it's being built? I think that would be pretty cool if you could!:smile:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi everyone,

Great choice of color! Congrats! We love our Cinnamon Brown Pearl Touring! Just curious, what do you do at the factory? Will you have the opportunity to follow(keep track) of your Ascent down the production line as it's being built? I think that would be pretty cool if you could!
I work in quality control. Our specific team verifies all of our many checks and balances to ensure we are delivering the highest quality vehicle possible. specifically, verify torque on vital fasteners and allignments. My favorite part is the daily sample we will pull randomly off the assembly line and go over it with a fine tooth comb and verify spec, function and lastly drive performance at our test track. We also assist with new model development. I was lucky enough to have received my VIN from the dealer just in time to see it get put together. I was working so couldn’t watch it go down the entire line but I skipped my breaks to go check it’s progress before having to leave for the day. It was built partially on day shift and finished on night shift. Just a heads up if anyone is interested in friends and family pricing send me a message and I can help you out!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome and thanks for your offer to answer questions. Hopefully you can check on my Ascent when it gets built in the next few weeks :). I ordered on 10/30 and expect delivery in December or January. My general question would be what running changes or other improvements to the Ascent have happened since production started? Although the launch seems to be free of major issues, it sounds like there are some customer complaints like wavy laminated glass and minor shifting roughness. If you can't comment on specifics maybe just a general overview of how issues like that are dealt with in the production line. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately I can’t really say what has changed or if anything has since launch. We have an in house quality control team who is constantly monitoring for issues and I’m sure they get feedback from dealers as well. Also if anyone is ever traveling thru the area let me know and I’ll see what I can do about a factory tour. I wish I could give you more info about how every detail works but in an ever competitive market and the way social media works I just can’t go into details about specifics on the factory.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Unfortunately I can’t really say what has changed or if anything has since launch. We have an in house quality control team who is constantly monitoring for issues and I’m sure they get feedback from dealers as well. Also if anyone is ever traveling thru the area let me know and I’ll see what I can do about a factory tour. I wish I could give you more info about how every detail works but in an ever competitive market and the way social media works I just can’t go into details about specifics on the factory.
It is unfortunate that this attention to quality control does not appear to extend to the Ascent's laminated front door window glass. Mine are wavy and distorted, the replacement glass they ordered was wavy and distorted, other Ascents on the lot are wavy and distorted. I looked at 2 different 2018 Outbacks with laminated glass...no waves or distortions.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I work in quality control. Our specific team verifies all of our many checks and balances to ensure we are delivering the highest quality vehicle possible. specifically, verify torque on vital fasteners and allignments. My favorite part is the daily sample we will pull randomly off the assembly line and go over it with a fine tooth comb and verify spec, function and lastly drive performance at our test track. We also assist with new model development. I was lucky enough to have received my VIN from the dealer just in time to see it get put together. I was working so couldn’t watch it go down the entire line but I skipped my breaks to go check it’s progress before having to leave for the day. It was built partially on day shift and finished on night shift. Just a heads up if anyone is interested in friends and family pricing send me a message and I can help you out!!!
Welcome it is nice to have you. I'm sure you will get a lot of questions about issues you have no control of. With the exception of size is the SGP about the same in build for Impreza ,XV and Ascent? Also how about a pic of the 2020 Outback(Only kidding)

·
Registered
19 Posts

Understood and it makes perfect sense. Hope you get your new Ascent soon and post some pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts