Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time suby owner (I’ve owned more than a sane person should ever own), but first time owning anything this large and modern. Is it just me or are modern cars are a bit overwhelming? There’s just so much going. But we’re looking forward to the mods and the adventures.
Here’s our 2021 Abyss Blue Limited

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Long time suby owner (I’ve owned more than a sane person should ever own), but first time owning anything this large and modern. Is it just me or are modern cars are a bit overwhelming? There’s just so much going. But we’re looking forward to the mods and the adventures.
Here’s our 2021 Abyss Blue Limited
Its not just you. I came from a 22 year old car when I got my new 2019 Limited. It was intimidating so I went slowly learning one or two features at a time. there are some great youtube tutorials on each feature as well as tutorials on this forum.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I came from a 2000 4runner w/ 300K miles, which is very analog vehicle, and in 2018 I remembered being overwhelmed w/ so many buttons and features. I've worked on many vehicles w/ digital technology but I never thought of owning one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, it’s been yrs since I’ve participated in a forum community so this is a nice change from the hectic social media platforms to a more static medium. Looking forward to more content and also providing some as well.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
171 Posts
I had been driving my ancient '95 Outback since the day I bought it back in '95, so the leap to our 2021 Ascent was definitely mind blowing! We got it in September and we're loving it!

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Limited
8 Posts
Welcome! I know I'm late as I'm super new and just bought a Limited myself. Couldn't help but notice it came from Serramonte Subaru. I used to live in Pacifica and grew up on the Peninsula my whole life. I recently moved to the Phoenix, AZ area. Just glad to see life in the Bay Area. Take care!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i almost bought mines from Serramonte as well; but Premier Fremont just had one brought in right as i was about to head over and they poached me instead

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
26 Posts
Best wishes with your new Ascent. One thing I greatly appreciate about the Ascent is something that is lacking in more and more new cars - buttons and knobs to control the audio and climate systems. I do not like having to use a touchscreen to adjust the audio and climate systems, I find it somewhat distracting. I've really learned to make those adjustments in the Ascent without having to take my eyes off the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Best wishes with your new Ascent. One thing I greatly appreciate about the Ascent is something that is lacking in more and more new cars - buttons and knobs to control the audio and climate systems. I do not like having to use a touchscreen to adjust the audio and climate systems, I find it somewhat distracting. I've really learned to make those adjustments in the Ascent without having to take my eyes off the road.
10000% agree. there is no need to digitalize what analog is more than capable of handling. My Fiat 500's volume and climate controls are both digital up/down buttons. It's super annoying.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,035 Posts
10000% agree. there is no need to digitalize what analog is more than capable of handling. My Fiat 500's volume and climate controls are both digital up/down buttons. It's super annoying.
Do keep in mind that those "analog" knobs quite often are digital controls these days, however. Same with "switches". They are largely computer interfaces these days no matter what they look like physically.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do keep in mind that those "analog" knobs quite often are digital controls these days, however. Same with "switches". They are largely computer interfaces these days no matter what they look like physically.
also true. i guess I'm more partial towards a rotary knob rather than a series of presses.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,035 Posts
Yes, many people prefer the "feel" of the knob for sure, but it's largely because that's what they are used to. While this particular discussion has been a lot about the entertainment system, and for some vehicles, the HVAC controls, too, another one that's really cooking in some places is the industry march toward a rotary knob (go figure) for the transmission shifter rather than a "stick". Lots of bad words are being said...and apparently the sky is falling... :) :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts