Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am currently just lurking and waiting to stalk a new Ascent.
My wife is on her 2nd Outback (2014, now 2017) and we really like the Subaru brand and cannot say enough about our local Subaru dealership. Dealing with them before, during and after the sale has been wonderful.
I am on my 2nd Ford Flex - 1st one NA V6 (2010), 2nd is the EB motor (2015). Love the twin turbos, makes my square box really fun. I did have a Toyota Sequoia in between the 2 Flexes, but after driving it for 6 months, I ordered up another Flex. I didn't want something that large for a daily.
As you may guess, our family likes wagons. My wife always wanted a VW Bug, but we ended up with a Squareback instead because it is a wagon.

I really like the spaciousness of my flex and the room it has given it is a big box with few rounded corners. They have not done a refresh since 2012 (?) and they have no intent of any changes before the build stops in 2020. So, I am on the hunt for my next ride and the Ascent is at the top of the list. Last week, our dealer had one we could sit in and look at but not drive. I guess they have an allocation of 25 units with 16 of them already being pre-ordered. I cannot bring myself to make a $50K purchase without driving. I know this means I may not get one in 2018, but if I decide, I know I will like it. So far it looks like a home run for Subaru. The other vehicle I considered for a replacement of my Flex was a VW Atlas. Our VW dealer is good, but the 2007 Passat my wife had before her 2014 Outback started to nickle and dime us after the CPO warranty was off. During the warrany period, the work performed at each oil change was roughly a car payment. All little things like switches, material separating from the door panels... Not a big deal since we didn't have to pay for them. We hung onto it until the oil change following the 72K CPO warranty was off (bought it with 21K). If the Atlas was available with a TDI, I may have already bought one.

Why am I not looking at Fords? Our local dealer is a piece of Sh!t. I bought my first flex there since it was on the lot and gave them a chance. I refuse to set foot on their property after some of the stuff they pulled. My last flex I purchased 50 miles away. I prefer to be closer during the warranty period and as noted, our Subaru dealer has taken great care of us since the purchase of the 2014 OB. I would love to get the Lincoln Aviator, but I am guessing it will be in the $50K range since the Navigator is $100K loaded. I really like what Lincoln is doing, especially with their Black Label service program, but I would rather spend less on my daily driver and pick up another Air Cooled VW or a Classic Mini.

1st world problems I guess. So, that is my story. For now, I am here to research and see what peoples thoughts are until I can get in the seat and drive one myself. So far I have seen alot of good info and like that people are not getting totally flamed for sharing their opinions. Seems to be a respectful forum from what I have gathered.

Picture of our VW for fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Subaru for the win and they're cars are more reliable than Ford IMO.
As someone that owns stock in Ford I agree. I really looked at the Explorer but was worried about reliability and leaking Carbon Monoxide.

Granted I do love the new Expedition but they are a good $20K with similar features.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! It even has those classic white wall tires.
Subaru for the win and they're cars are more reliable than Ford IMO.
Thanks. Technically, that VW is my wife's car. The best part is the 50" ragtop on it. Just slide it back, roll down the windows and cruise. Being lowered, it has about a whole 1" of travel before metal to metal so we focus on the potholes and drive around them.

I am looking to find another one of these in a manual transmission for me. She wanted an auto. That way when this car need a refresh, we have another to drive.

Truth be told, I have had very few issues with my 2 Fords. Granted I only put 75K on the 1st and only have 60K on my current. Other than our local dealer, they have given me nothing to really complain about. I do like the Subaru seats better, they fit my body better. The flex seats are fairly wide and flat (almost seems like Toyota designed them), whereas my Wife's OB seats give me a nice hug everytime I hop in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.