Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and glad there is forum. So, a little intro, am from Wisconsin and currently drive a 2017 Pilot EXL. Now, here's the reason why I'm here, anyone think is worth the trade? Only have 10k miles. Also, what does everyone think of the Ascent in regards to reliability? And any thoughts on the new engine? It is a new engine, right?

·
Registered
932 Posts
You’re on a Subaru enthusiast site - of course we will recommend the Ascent. My wife drives a 16 EXL. I am not particularly fond of it. Just feels too... unalive.

If I get an Ascent im wondering if she will trade in her Pilot and get her own. That would be funny.

Yes it’s a new engine. Power train is 5/60, but you can always extended warranty if you’re worried.

·
Registered
253 Posts
New here and glad there is forum. So, a little intro, am from Wisconsin and currently drive a 2017 Pilot EXL. Now, here's the reason why I'm here, anyone think is worth the trade? Only have 10k miles. Also, what does everyone think of the Ascent in regards to reliability? And any thoughts on the new engine? It is a new engine, right?
Welcome! Lots of great info and opinions on here.

New engine indeed! One of the few things that make me a little nervous about my pre-order. Should I wait for Subaru to work out the kinks? Wait, its a Subaru, there won't be any kinks....right? :tango_face_wink:

Most initial reviewers are saying that the new engine will have enough juice to get going. And reliability is Subaru's middle name, and they know it. They intend to live up to it...fingers crossed.

A lot of people are saying that Honda and Toyota should be very worried about the Ascent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm just a little, very little concern of the new engine and wondering if the design is the same as the FA. I'm debating between waiting for the Ascent to "at least" run its course for one year first before buying or do it now and be the cool kid on the block...

My wife actually test drove the Touring last week (I didn't get to) and she said she's in love with it. Btw, she's the primary driver on the Pilot. These are her comments:
1. More power than the Pilot (I think mainly because of the low end torque - didn't go on the highway so unsure about high end)
2. Acceleration is by far way much smoother (is a CVT so yeah)
3. Much more comfortable, seating, position etc (I agreed with her, the Pilot is a little weird for me)
4. Loves the techs, especially the smart mirror and headunit (so responsive and accurate)
5. The overall design seem better than the Pilot - much more "sportier"
6. Overall car feel more sturdy
7. Steering is much better

I, however, think the engine is too small and not a fan of the intercooler cooling system - prefer the scoop...smh. But I'm sure the guys at Subaru is much smarter than me. Another thing is, I wish the Touring gives you more interior options like matching trim/seat color.

BTW - I current drive a 17 STI - http://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=603&thumb=1

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Remember Honda is doing a MMC on the Pilot so I would think Honda is going to make changes. They are very competitive especially in this segment

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Welcome! Lots of great info and opinions on here.

New engine indeed! One of the few things that make me a little nervous about my pre-order. Should I wait for Subaru to work out the kinks? Wait, its a Subaru, there won't be any kinks....right? :tango_face_wink:

Most initial reviewers are saying that the new engine will have enough juice to get going. And reliability is Subaru's middle name, and they know it. They intend to live up to it...fingers crossed.

A lot of people are saying that Honda and Toyota should be very worried about the Ascent.
That's what Subaru said about the newly designed Impreza, that it would crush the Civic and the Corolla. That did not happen because of some unforeseen problems with the Impreza. You just never really know until the vehicle has been out at least one year.

I for one, would wait for the upgraded safety package offered on the Forester to come to the Ascent before I will look at the Ascent.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I understand what you're saying, @Sparkland - but if you wait and wait and wait, you'll never purchase. There's a small part of me that wants to go get an Ascent just to tell Subaru to keep doing what they're doing...

Regarding @vang0017 post - I also am not a fan of the transmission on the EXL. I think the 2016 had several issues. The Honda site is filled with TSB's for fixes... the frustrating thing is that they are aware of problems but taking a "not broke, don't fix" approach. I suppose that's par for any service department. It's just frustrating.

The biggest pet peeve of mine that I didn't realize at the time is that the head unit is touch everywhere. So, that means you need to touch to lower volume, change stations. That drives me bananas.

Half the time the infotainment doesn't work on the Pilot, something weird like the preset stations are blank or it doesn't connect to my phone, or will connect to my wife's phone but not mine, cuts out in mid-song, etc.

Just frustrating.

Service Department: Unable to duplicate issue.

Sigh.

There's also a small part of me that wants my wife to hijack what could be my Ascent, then I can go get another Ascent. lol. Truly can't wait to be rid of the Pilot.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
What's the upgraded safety package offered on the Forester?
Distracted driving feature:

DriverFocus is a driver-monitoring system that uses facial-recognition software to identify signs of driver fatigue or distraction. DriverFocus works with Subaru’s EyeSight driver-assist technology to reduce the chance of an accident, according to Subaru.
DriverFocus also can recognize up to five drivers and remember their presets for seat position, climate, multifunction display and more, according to the automaker.

Subaru: 2019 Forester to Have Distracted-Driving Safety Feature on Touring Model

·
Registered
932 Posts
My Outback has a distracted driving feature. It's called no infotainment and a large cup of coffee.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
My Outback has a distracted driving feature. It's called no infotainment and a large cup of coffee.

:D :D :D

Ours has something similar...consists of me whacking my husband's arm and saying stop playing on your phone I don't want to die in a fiery car crash...seems pretty effective so far!

·
Registered
932 Posts
In NJ we have a phone number we can call and report the license plate and the make/model/color of the car and they get a nastygram warning in the mail. It's not punitive, meaning they won't get a ticket, but I guess it's associated with their car so if law enforcement does pull them over at some point, they'll have it noted that they were doing stuff.

It's actually concerning, all the people on their phones... all the EyeSight systems in the world won't help you if the person in front of you smashes into you because they didn't see you stop for a light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think your pilot engine is reliable and will be less maintenance over the long run. All turbos will eventually fail and require maintenance or rebuild. Fuel economy for both engines closely match up. The ascent is better but I'd stick with your pilot instead of taking a $13000 hit on trade as the improvements may not be worth $13,000. (Taxes and 1 year depreciation)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think the logical thing to do would be to wait a bit and not take the big depreciation hit on the Pilot, get the Ascent in a year or two particularly since you’re apprehensive about the new platform.

My wife actually test drove the Touring last week (I didn't get to) and she said she's in love with it. Btw, she's the primary driver on the Pilot.
On the other hand, forget logic. Put your Ascent preorder in right away. With Subaru’s reputation for reliablility, things will likely be fine with the new engine. Happy wife, happy life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts