Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one installed either hella super tones or sharp tones on their car yet?

Know if anyone offers a mounting bracket or pnp harness?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you referring to a type of light?
Replacement horn. Supertones are popular Subaru mods.

yeah like rockthebeef said, but its gaining popularity with other groups now. its just been the thing for subies to see in the front grill. the thing is they are two horns of different frequencies that allow you to get a much broader sound. to help other drivers that arent paying attention of course. :grin:

ive attached my other cars, i just dont know if the grill will allow this type of visibility.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
ive attached my other cars, i just dont know if the grill will allow this type of visibility.
No, not without modifying the horn location. Stock horn locations are behind the right and left front bumper just a smidge above the fog lights. But yeah, once you take off the front bumper, you're pretty free to mount those wherever you see fit :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Are the harnesses plug and play ? I’m taking off the bumper to mount so lights so might as well do this while it’s off

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are the harnesses plug and play ? I’m taking off the bumper to mount so lights so might as well do this while it’s off
The horns themselves do not have a harness. There are companies that have pnp harnesses for the Sti and other models. I am not sure if they will work with the ascent.

I have been told That you can just run some wires from the stock connector to the location of where you want the horns with no issues on the Sti. I’ve always just gotten the mounting bar and harness at the same time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I always like a horn that will get your attention. The Hella Suupertones seem very popular, but the sample sounds on YouTube and Hella website sound a little wimpy.

What is your experience with this? Are they really a big improvement over the Ascent stock horn?

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you want to maximize the sound of the Hella Supertones, you will most likely need to run a relay / PNP harness.
They're louder, and there are plenty of youtube videos to at least give you a sense of what the tone will be.
The pitch is on the higher side though. I personally prefer the deep truck horn type "GTFO" sound myself ;) :p

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you want to maximize the sound of the Hella Supertones, you will most likely need to run a relay / PNP harness.
They're louder, and there are plenty of youtube videos to at least give you a sense of what the tone will be.
The pitch is on the higher side though. I personally prefer the deep truck horn type "GTFO" sound myself ;) :p
This one has good reviews for that sound. I just ordered mine with a wiring harness. Will post here with a before and after video once I get it installed :D

Stebel 11690019 - Nautilus Compact Mini Air Horn Black
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMX20H4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
494 Posts

Same here. Nothing like a deep truck horn to say "Get out of my way!".

A good amount of friends had the hella horns on their cars, and it is definitely louder than stock but it was very shrill. Imagine the stock horn on steroids. hahaha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mean, if I were gonna try and do it again, I would see if it was possible to put this thing in to the ascent... (dude, the horn itself is 29 inches long!!!!)

https://hornblasters.com/collections/complete-kits/products/mother-trucker-127h-horn-kit-1

but that's just me :p
I had something like that on my bug eye Wrx. It was almost like that setup except I had to fill the 5 gallon air tank every couple of days or after I had to use it.

I might still have the horn laying around. If I do I post a picture of it and post it up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts